3/26 China PMPS 160,+2.75 64,+3.5 40, +4.5 64,+6 58 Cerenia vs odansetron--Dose advice?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Chris & China (GA), Mar 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday's stress-filled condo

3/25 AMPS 94,+2 100,+4 101,+6 79,+8 85,+9.5 95,PMPS 119,+2 77,+4 64,+6.5 104

After a very stressful and worrying day yesterday, China's doing better today. Still not 100% by any means, but a lot less restless and eating better...and even earning a reduction!!

I think considering the fact that she's had reduced or skipped doses for the last few cycles and was still able to go shark hunting today, I'm going to go ahead and reduce to 2.5 tonight as our "new" dose and see how she does for the next few cycles. I can always go back up, but I'm hoping she'll continue to earn new reductions!

The last 2 times she had dentals, I had high hopes that she'd be like so many other cats and her numbers would start to look better, but it never happened.....this time it looks like it might! So many things about this last dental have been different from the first 2!

She's still acting a little weird ....it's like she'll be totally fine and then her eyes will shift and it's like she's seeing some big wild monster that only she can see.....and she wants to run and hide. She still hasn't been able to "settle" enough to just curl up with me and snooze either, but she is better today than she was yesterday.

I think on Monday I'm going to try to remember to call the vet and tell them to add "NO Simbadol" to the list of "NO Convenia/NO Metacam"

I never want to go through what I went through yesterday again...that was NOT my China!!

Shoeskitty-GA likes this.
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I'm glad China is getting back to normal and her BGis quite impressive. Have a great day!

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

It really sounds like this is a reaction to the narcotic. It's possible that the long acting version of bupe isn't clearing her system the way the usual form does.

4. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Glad China is doing better today. China no shark hunting at the lagoon. Michael is watching you.

5. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

I'm glad the effects seem to be fading. Poor China. That must have been scary for her, too.

Beautiful numbers! Guess third time is a charm on the dental, huh? Surf safely, China!! The boys are too far ashore to come bail you out.

6. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Glad that she is better today and even earning a reduction!

7. Marilyn and Polly

Marilyn and Polly Well-Known Member

What a ride! Poor China. Poor Chris. So glad to see she's on the mend. And those numbers ... aha!

Marilyn and Polly

8. Anne & Hyde (GA)

Anne & Hyde (GA) Well-Known Member

Here to hoping that the real China appears tomorrow. Glad she is heading back to her old self.

9. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad China is feeling better. I hope she holds the reducie.

10. Chris & China (GA)

I think she might be nauseous tonight....she ate OK at PMPS, but when I tried to get her to eat some when she dropped so quickly at 2.75, she just took a couple licks and walked away and sat by the water bowl (didn't drink any though)

Gave her 1/4 of a ondansetron just now.....wondering if cerenia would be better? Or maybe some of both?

Back to worrying :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

11. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

No answers from me but sending you and China good vines and prayers.

12. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Chris

I was happy to read she was doing better but so sorry she is nauseous tonight. Cerenia and ondansetron address nausea from different modalities so it's fine to try and use them both and see how they work for China. Of course, cerenia can only be given once a day but you can give the. At the same time.

Many vines for China and also you.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  13. Chris & China (GA)

The ondansetron seems to have helped and just in time too!! She gobbled down some high carb gravy (with a little syrup mixed in because mama's a nervous wreck with all the unknowns going on lately)

I'd rather have her zoom to the moon than deal with the other options

Makes it really hard to decide on a dose to hold going forward though!

14. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Just read back through your post from yesterday, no fun at all! I hope China gets to feeling better now that she has eaten a little.

I have found that Cerenia is good when they are vomiting a lot, Ondansetron when they are just nauseous but not urping. I have a hell of a time getting vets to prescribe anything but Cerenia.

Simbadol is a higher concentration of buprenorphine recently approved for the use in cats. Its a 24-hr injectible. Buprenex, the one we are used to is a human formulation and a much lower concentration. Buprenex is given either orally or as an injection (that is what we'd have gotten in the past, they'd inject the same med we'd give orally).

15. Chris & China (GA)

I swiped some of my mom's zofran when her doctor prescribed it for her when she was having a lot of trouble with nausea (don't worry.....she had plenty for herself). It's 4mg, same as what everyone here uses, so I figured it would be safe for China to have 1/4 pill

I have the cerenia too, and I thought I remembered that one was better for nausea and one was better for actual vomiting, so since she's not urping, I went with the ondansetron. Did a quick Google search and found some posts from here discussing it

16. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Sometimes Rico gets both is he is having a off day.... never had a problem giving both.
    I hope China Doll stops seeing monsters soon:bighug::bighug:

17. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck with those meds, Chris. And China: come back to the shallows, please!

Good luck with the reducie, too. Happy Easter!

Ella & Rusty

Yo Deputy China, No need to visit the sharks. Surf safe!
    ~ Rusty, LagoonMeister

18. Chris & China (GA)

OK....now that things are a little more stable, I need some advice on dose going forward

We returned to the last "good dose" this morning (2.75) but even after a skip, a BCS of 1.5 and a reduced dose of 2.5 last night, she still dropped into the 40's for a 3rd time so we reduced tonight's dose to 2.5 .....but she dropped fast and hard again tonight, so now I'm really lost as to what to do in the next few cycles

I'm sure her depot is pretty messed up, but it really shouldn't be "over-full" considering the skip, the BCS and the reduced dose last night, so any ideas for tomorrow?

If she's high enough, I'd probably be OK giving 2.5 again in the morning (IF she eats a good breakfast) but what if she's not very high??

Looking for some wise advice please

19. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Poor China. It's no fun to be nauseated without having spooky creatures hounding you! I hope she gets back to her old self quickly. Nice numbers, though!!

20. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I think I'd be tempted to try 2.25 units for a while and see how she does on it. If nothing else, it should drain any remaining 2.75 (which is clearly too much now). It's that skip and the BCS in the last six cycles that would have me trying a little bit less. And 40 is a little too close to the 30's for comfort.

Sending tummy vines and anti-shark vines for China. :bighug:

21. Chris & China (GA)

That's what I was thinking too....just wasn't sure if I should continue trying the 2.5 or go down to 2.25 or even 2

"Something" has changed, that's for sure, so it looks like I'm going to have to re-learn what she's up to

22. mariko

mariko Well-Known Member

I'm so glad ondansetron helped and she's feeling better.
    Sending vines for her to continue eating and feeling better!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.