3/31 Purrdy PMPS 148 +3 43 +3.5 56 +4 45 +4.5 41 +5 77 +5.5 99 +6 70 +6.5 52

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Vyktors Mum, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

last time 3/29

Purrdy
    This was just going to be an update but as I was posting this I got a phone call from mum letting me know that Purrdy has dropped under 50 again. She had taken him with her to my brother's for dinner and remembered everything - except the HC lol!

Anyway, I'm now I'm looking for dose advice. We had the skipped shot 3/29 PM and then took a 20% reduction to 12u. It's only taken him four shots at 12u to go under again so I'm thinking he needs a bit more off his dose - how much is the question...

He went to the vet today but we won't have his blood test results for a couple of days. The vet took extra blood to do some sort of test to get an indicator on the cushing's. I have no idea what she's testing as the cushing's blood tests I've read about require a blood test, an injection and then a further blood test or tests after a period of time has elapsed. I guess we will find out in due course.

Vyktor
    So happy to see poop yesterday - it had been six days since the last! He got a reduction today. His turn at the vet tomorrow.

Can you tell I'm in a rush :woot:

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Your mom might want to reduce by 1.0u and see how Purdy does. I'm tagging @Wendy&Neko and @julie & punkin (ga) who have more experience with high dose kitty.

Did they ever run a test for IAA (insulin resistance) on Purrdy?

Vyktors Mum likes this.
  3. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I agree with Sienne. I was thinking with the skipped shot and the 4 doses on the 12 units that the depot from the 15 units shouldn't be affecting this test, but I too would refer to someone who knows more about high dose cats. And that if your Mom wants to try 11 units, that would be okay.

I'm glad Vyktor pooed :cat:

Vyktors Mum likes this.
  4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry no dose advice from me, but it's nice to see Purrdy earn a reducie. I hope Vyktor's vetty visit goes well. Yay for poop. Sending prayers.

Vyktors Mum likes this.
  5. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

Best wishes as always for Purrdy and your mum and Vyktor and you too Serryn. I hope the vet visit goes well too.

Vyktors Mum likes this.
  6. Vyktors Mum

No, it's completely unheard of here. I spoke to his vet about it ages ago and thought they understood what I wanted but turned out they didn't and we just got the acro test

He's playing hard ball to come up again. We're going heavy on the carbs and have just given some honey too.

7. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Sending vines and prayers.

Vyktors Mum likes this.
  8. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Good luck at the vet today.

Vyktors Mum likes this.
  9. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

10. Vyktors Mum

I thought we had him with the carb/honey combo at +4.5 but it's worn off. He's currently licking his honey straight off the spoon we've carbed him hard again and I've told mum to have a nap until +8.5. We've given him the same carb/honey combo that we gave at +4.5 so it should work at least equally as effectively at this end of the cycle with Purrdy.

ETA: OMG I hope that is right, it just occurred to me if this is breaking IAA then perhaps the antibodies could release their insulin at anytime in the cycle.

It's starting to look like another skip or perhaps a couple of 18 hour cycles or at most a BCS in the morning. Mum is home tomorrow but she's going to be exhausted. I'm also thinking a bigger reduction than 1 unit may be called for in his circumstances...

ETA: failing alternative suggestions I'm leaning towards the 18 hour cycles (which should ensure mum gets a good nights sleep tomorrow night (anti jinx) and based on what he did the other day he might still be green then anyway, although we have carbed him much harder this time) and dropping to 10 units.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  11. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Holy smokes Purrdy is sure changing things up. Taking a larger reduction is a good idea as you can always go back up right? Sending good vetty vines for both boys and safe surfing!

Vyktors Mum likes this.
  12. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Wow! No advice but tons of vines. Good luck at the vet today. Purrdy sure us on a mission. Your poor mom!

Vyktors Mum likes this.
  13. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

Tons and tons of vines for your Mum and Purrdy, and Vyktor too!

18 hour cycle sounds like the break that your mum needs, and a bigger dose reduction.

Vyktors Mum likes this.
  14. Vyktors Mum

Had to make the call so we've gone for 18 hr cycles - yay mum gets to sleep through in the morning and hopefully gets to sleep tomorrow night too. We'll try 10 u and see how he goes. She just reported in with his +8.5 and it was 83. I had her give another couple of tsp of HC for belt and braces. Dis kitty be out of control! :D

15. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I sent Sandy/Black Kitty a note asking for her input. BK was the first IAA kitty here and Sandy is very knowledgeable about insulin resistance.

Did the Cushings test come back positive or is it just what they're assuming due to the high dose? Did you check with Jacqui Rand's group at Queensland to see if they can run an IAA titer?

Vyktors Mum likes this.
  16. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I'd "go big or go home" with the reduction. Try a 2 unit reduction down to 10 units - he can always go back up if he needs to. He barely blinked with the 3 unit reduction last time. I like the idea of the 18 hours cycles and sleep too. Skipping as needed is also a good option when the timing is right. If there's any chance there's IAA involved and it's breaking, you want to err on the conservative with dosing. And yes, the antibodies can have the worst timing in terms of binding or releasing the insulin.:rolleyes: In January, Suki's Crystal decided she suddenly needed 2/3 the amount of insulin she was getting over the space of two weeks. Fortunately Suki was using R so didn't have quite the ocean sized depot to deal with.

Sending vines for Vykor's vetty appointment. Good pooping buddy!

17. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Serryn,
    I don't know anything about dealing with IAA, but given the difficulty with keeping Purrdy above 50, the 18-hour dosing sounds right to me. It looks as if the depot needs to drain a bit. Sending vines for Purrdy. I hope your mum gets enough rest with the 18-hour schedule.
    Vyktor, good man for having that poop!

Hang in there, Serryn,

Hugs and scritches,

Ella & Rusty

Vyktors Mum likes this.
  18. Anne & Hyde (GA)

Anne & Hyde (GA) Well-Known Member

Hyde is IAA and we have dropped from 35u on March 19th to 20u now (probably too low - thinking dosecrease this weekend). She has been having tummy issues at both ends (vet thinks maybe bad food since both Jekyll and Hyde have both needed enemas this month). My philosophy is to drop the dose significantly, you can always go back up if needed.

19. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Wow, Purrdy, you like to keep da beans on their toes. Good work, Serryn and Mum!
    Liz

Vyktors Mum likes this.
  20. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

So glad Purdy came up. What a scare with no HC food, thank God for honey!

Vyktors Mum likes this.
  21. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

I'm just glad your Mum had Purrdy with her when this happened! I don't know much about IAA either, but common sense tells me it's possible it's breaking and they're in for a bit of a ride. I agree with the 18 hour cycle and reduction to 10 units. Mum needs to get some rest. Purrdy, keep it safe buddy. There's no need to be in quite such a hurry!

Congrats on the poo in the box, Vyktor. Cinco just did it again. Your turn. :p

Sending vetty vines.

Vyktors Mum likes this.
  22. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

it's looking like that may be the case.
    I agree.
    Getting ready to board a flight from LA to Baltimore so will be incommunicado. I'll check back after midnight (eastern US time)

Vyktors Mum likes this.
  23. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

That is quite a ride you are taking them on there Purrdy! Hope he settles down soon Serryn. Your Mum must be tired!

Vyktors Mum likes this.
  24. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Steady Purdy! :bighug::bighug:

Vyktors Mum likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.