4-13 Gizmo OTJ Trial Day 5 AMBG=178 Last Vet Update for the night

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Chubba (GA), Apr 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday

I feel a little better about the AMBG reading, but why I’m not sure as it is within meter variance of the 200s last night. I think just because it didn’t continue to go up. He still isn’t eating. Although he may have taken a few bites of his +6 snack ... somebody did and the civvie doesn’t usually get out of bed. But didn’t touch the later snack or the freeze dried treat left at +10.

I feared the worst when he didn’t come greet me in the morning and I couldn’t find him. I eventually found him in the bedroom closet. I know hiding is a sign of hypoT also, so I skipped the meds again this morning. Vet opens in 1.5 hours. I will update as soon as I can.

Should I be giving insulin again or ride this out for another day or so?

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I think you can hold off until after you see the vet today. I hope they can get you in. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  3. Chubba (GA)

Thank you. That was my thoughts as well. I’m sure the only reason his numbers are higher is because of what is going on. I have no doubt they will see him. It’s just a matter of which vet.

4. Chubba (GA)

Force fed a few bits of salmon before I left for work. Thought it might convince him to start eating. Instead he left the closet and moved to his cube in the hallway. He is very weak. :(

5. Chubba (GA)

Vet appt in 2 hours.

6. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug:

I hope you and the vet can get this figured out. Pick up a couple cans of A/D when you are at the vet. It seems they will eat this when they won't eat anything else. Might want to get 3-4 to get you through the weekend (or get an prescription for it from the vet) - you can get it at Petsmart if they have a vet clinic on-site but must have a scrip.

Chubba (GA) and Bobbie And Bubba like this.
  7. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:Tons of vetty vines. :bighug::bighug::bighug:
    So sorry he’s feeling so off. Glad he can be seen this morning.

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  8. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Vetty vines for Gizmo, paws crossed its a temporary issue.

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  9. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Vetty vines!! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  10. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Sending good and wise vet vines. :bighug:
    I would pick up some FortiFlora from the vet's office if you don't already have some.
    The Hyperthyroid Cats group on facebook often talk about how vets start cats on too high of a dose.
    My Ginger had hyperT and had the i131 done so is cured.

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  11. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Vetty vines for Gizmo.

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  12. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

I hope Gizmo is feeling better soon and starts eating and stops hiding. Poor guy. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Vetty vines for you both. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  13. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Adding more vetty vines for Gizmo :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  14. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

love,light and healing:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  15. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Sending you lots of vetty vines to figure out what is wrong with Gizmo. I can only imagine the roller coaster you are on right now. Hang in there! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  16. Chubba (GA)

Ok just a quick update ... I will add more later once I’ve had time to process everything.

Gizmo has pancreatitis and is severely dehydrated. Possible other infection as well. No ketones. Sugar mid 200s at vet. Recommend leaving him overnight to 3 days. Said should just be overnight. Down to under 10 lbs. ran the bloodwork but thyroid levels have to be sent away. Kidneys look good! Heart lung everything seems to be alright. Husband just dropped off his meds and checked on him. He hasn’t eaten (a/d) yet but hopefully will. He is getting nausea meds and antibiotics plus fluids. Vets are with him until midnight and then a vet tech is there until the vets come back tomorrow morning at 8. I’m worried sick but truely know he is being taken care of. I am mostly concerned about them giving insulin and him going hypo.

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  17. Chubba (GA)

Thank you for the info about a/d. That is what they are feeding him.
    I need to check into getting the FlortiFlora.

18. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:
    Can you visit Gizmo later today? I don't think you should have a problem with them giving insulin if you've told them he's no longer on insulin. I'm surpised they think he might have to stay at the vet up to 3 days. A lot of people treat p'titis at home. If you do see him, take his favourite blankie or something with your scent on it for his kennel.

Happy to hear everything else seems to be OK.

MyTitan (GA) and Chubba (GA) like this.
  19. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Have it stated in big red letters at the top of the chart that Gizmo is not to have insulin under any conditions without consulting with you first.

Hope Gizmo starts to feel better soon.

20. Chubba (GA)

My husband did tell them he was off of insulin but I guess they wanted it anyways. The 3 days was before they knew it was pancreatitis (I think). I don’t know if I can visit later tonight, but they are 45 minutes away. I will definitely call and check on him. Would like to visit but thinking that might upset my kids more.

21. Chubba (GA)

I told my husband to have them call me first. Hopefully they do.

ETA - but at what point should he go back on insulin?

22. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

23. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug:Hope Gizmo feels better soon. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  24. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

Healing vines for Gizmo and comfort vines for all of you.

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  25. Chubba (GA)

I called to check on him when I got home. Plus they left a message about his meds. I assumed it was before my husband dropped everything off, but wanted to double check. They are not supposed to give any hyperT meds until the blood work comes back. If they give anything at all, it is supposed to be a half dose. They know not to give insulin without calling me. Unfortunately at that time (a little over 2 hours ago), Gizmo still hadn’t eaten or drank anything. I asked what the plan was if he continued to refuse to eat. She said they would force feed to make sure he could eat and keep food in him. But would still send him home cause he is more likely to eat for me at home. He was pretty much just laying around still when I called to check on him. I am going to go back through my texts from today so I don’t miss anything in my update.

Temp was 105. Severely dehydrated with infection. Ran the blood work and checked urine. Said heart, lungs, eyes, ears, teeth, belly all are good ... nothing out of the ordinary. Blood work showed pancreatitis and possibly another infection as well. Kidneys are good. Both kidney values were mid range. I have the blood work papers, just not in front of me. No ketones and no glucose in urine. Sugar was 245 when they did blood work. He weighed 9.6 pounds. He is getting iv fluids for the dehydration. That is why they wanted to keep him.

His normal vet wasn’t who we had appt with, but was the first vet we saw at the practice and the one who finally agreed to the acro test. When my husband was checking on his after dropping off his meds, his normal vet came over and talked with him for awhile. Said she would keep him safe for us and that she has learned so much from us about acro kitties. She is actually going to recommend the IGF-1 test for a few other kitties at their practice. I am so glad that we were able to possibly help other kitties and their beans. Thank you FDMB for everything you have taught us and of course for all of the support over this past year. :bighug:

26. LizzieInTexas

Good update (except for the diagnosis :(). I hope they are giving him something for pain. Strongly suggest a Cerenia shot (and throw in a B12 for the heck of it). I am not sure what is different between the pill for and shot but I am very impressed with how my Gizmo responded to the shot even after being on the pill form for a week.

Just my $0.02 :smuggrin:

You might consider free feeding over the next few days. My Gizmo is slow on getting back to eating good after a panc flare but he will go back to the bowl and nibble throuhout the day/night. I spoon a couple of tablespoons of water over the to of the a/d so it doesn't dry out.

I hope he gets to come home tomorrow. I hated it when I had to leave Gizmo. :bighug::bighug:

27. rawia

rawia Member

Hope Gismo feels bettet soon, do not worry many cats went through that. Fluids and appy stimulation will make him feels better by tomorrow.:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  28. Chubba (GA)

Thank you for the advice. I wanted to ask you what things you did to help since I know you are unfortunately in the same situation. I have been pretty much free feeding since the trial anyways. Both kitties seem to do better that way. The added water is a great idea.

I know they are giving injections but I’m honestly not sure what. :nailbiting: We were short 13 or 14 people at work today. So those of us who showed up got screwed over like usual. Plus my husband is working crazy hours also. So trying to communicate hasn’t been the easiest today.

I’m hoping they are giving something for pain but I’m not sure. I’m planning on calling for an update before I head to bed. I’m hoping that he is eating. That would make sleep so much easier tonight.

29. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Hoping for a good update for Gizmo, I'm sorry he's not feeling well, the fluids and meds should help, maybe make a quick list of questions, like what they have been giving for pain, and what other injections and other meds, during the day apart from fluids, I would expect they'd have you continue with some of the meds when Gizmo comes home. I find it helps me to write things down, and capture notes from the call, I may not think of everything, but it makes me feel more in control. Wish you weren't going through this, sending some appy vines for Gizmo, I sure hope he feels better soon, and hugs your way :bighug::bighug:.

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  30. LizzieInTexas

Of coure ECID but what I have learned is to continue the Cerenia pill for a good 5-7 days (every day) and then go to every-other-day, then every 3 days.... etc. Cerenia also has anti-inflamitory properties too. Problem is Cerenia is $$ :eek: I give 1/4 Of 24mg (6mg) per day.

I found it online for a really good price @ KV Supply.

Ondan for nausea but I am not sure if it helped that much and it may have hurt (IDK, just a gut feeling). I discontinued it.

Canna Companion really seems to help. If nothing else it gets him relaxed and he seems to rest easier with it. It also increases his appy a bit.

Pain meds on a regular basis. I am not sure how much pain Gizmo has but it seems nausea is more of an issue than pain but I still give pain meds. My old vet prescribed Torbogesic for pain but everyone here said I should get Bupe. In Gizmo's case the Torb seems to work better for him. I give him about a 1/3 of the presctpribed dose. Torb is much less expensive too. Liquid, given in the cheek pouch. Make sure it doesn't have sugar in it. Gizmo's Torb smells like beef bullion.

Mirtz once the nausea is controlled to jump start his appy and eating.

I now have sub-q fluids to give at home which helps. If they aren't eating they are not getting the fluids from the wet food so dehydration can happen quickly. Dehydration can make the nausea worse.

Let me know if you have any questions :bighug::bighug:

Oh, and try a different food. They can get turned off food that they were eating when they got sick. May not be an issue but it is possible.

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  31. Chubba (GA)

Vet tech said he is doing well. Drinking now, but still not eating anything. They haven’t tried to force feed yet. When I asked if they were able to get his cabergoline in him, she said I’m sure we will haven’t tried yet. :confused: He was supposed to have it 4 hours ago and he missed his dose yesterday. Oh well ... I just hope he will get back on track. We were so close.

32. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad you got Gizmo to the vet today and he is getting the treatment he needs. I hope he gets to come home soon. Sending prayers.

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  33. Chubba (GA)

This is all so very helpful. Thank you. Dehydration can happen so quickly. I was shocked when my husband said that. He drinks all the time. Loves the fountain. I forgot to ask about pain meds. I have some cerenia and mirtz already, but I’m sure they will give us more. I’m also going to ask for some A/d food to bring home. I’m not sure if he will be turned off by food. I have started him on a rotation of several different foods since he was so picky lately. Now I’m guessing that was just because of the pancreatitis.

Now that he has gotten this, he is more likely to get it again right? What is the best way to prevent it? Is switching foods a possible cause?

34. LizzieInTexas

I sure wish I knew. If you figure it out, please let me know :p As far as the food - I switched to the Whole Food Duck just because he has never had duck (protein) and wanted to give him a flavor he had never had to see if I could get him eating regular again (and it worked). Do you feed raw? You might try the Radcat venison, just a suggestions. At this point, give him anything he will eat. I put Gizmo in the 1/2 bath downstairs with his food, water and a towel to sleep on and shut the door - I only did this for about 4 hours but it put him in close proximity to the food and water and gave him a quiet place without distractions. I was shocked when I went in to check on him and he had eaten 1/2 can of the a/d! After that he would eat at his regular feeding station albeit slow.

Treat at the first sign. Start Cerenia, give the canna, give pain meds. Prevent stomach acid (throw up) - it is one of the reasons I use MMR every cycle. IMO if you can stay ahead of the on-set it is much less severe. Do not let them give steroids - if at all possible. That is what brought on Gizmo's FD. At the time I think we all thought it was best (and it probably was) but I sure would have liked to have tried to treat him (my Gizmo) without the steroids and prevented the FD - since your Gizmo has Acro and most probably a working pancreas you don't want to throw that into the mix if he can get through this without the steroids.

I sure hope he gets to come home and will start eating for you. I think the a/d is a good idea. Get them to give you a scrip (good for 6 months) so you can grab a few cans at Petsmart/Petco (if they have a vet office in the stores they will carry it). I think the pricing is about the same whether you get it at the vets or store ~$2.25/can (ouch). But I keep six cans on hand.

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  35. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to read that Gizmo has been having such a rough time. P-titis is just plain awful to deal with. In case you haven't already seen it, here is a link to a wonderful post Marje did on the subject.

Personally, I prefer Cyproheptadine to Mirtz, but most vets will prescribe Mirtz first. It made my cats hyper.

Sending lots of healing and appy vines, and :bighug:s.

Chubba (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.