4/13 Rumpy PMPS 175 +4 107

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by MrRumps, Apr 13, 2019.

1. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Previous Thread: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...-13-2-newly-home-testing.213156/#post-2361597

Tony and I are in need of sleep badly, but rumpy's +4 reading was low (i think) at 107. He is eating Tiki Cat Chicken the best and is refusing all wet food I had went out and bought for 10-15% carb range. Still eating his dry food 17.5% off and on as I am not leaving much down.

Currently he is under my bed and un interested in eating.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Can you sleep in turns to monitor Rumpy?

3. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

We will try that, his reading at +5 was at 107, he did eat dry food as a treat. He is now relaxing in the room, not under the bed. Would you suggest another test at +6 or a different spot?

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I think you could leave it til +7 and hopefully he will be surfing around the 107 mark. Just leave out some dry for him while you sleeping until +7.
    If he is still around 107 at +7 you could leave it til +9 to test again. , but if he is dropping more than 10 points I would test at +8.
    Does that make sense and are you happy with that?

MrRumps likes this.
  5. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Yes that sounds good. Will set alarm for +7
    Thank you for the guidelines. It really helps. Gonna take a nap!

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  6. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Update: at +7 he is now 136! We gave him a small amount of dry food and now he currently has a little bit of his wet food in front of him.(Tiki Cat wet food). Do you suggest we test again at +9 like you mentioned before? I removed the dry food and I'm going to leave the wet food down until +10.

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I think he should be fine til +10.

MrRumps likes this.
  8. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Alarm set for +10 and will pick up the rest of the food for the 2 hr no feed. And re test at. +12 for amps.

9. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Rumpy was tested at +10, his number read 218. What do you suggest I do from here on out?( this is tony, shelly's boyfriend. She will be at work all day today and I'll be with Rumpy)

10. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Hi Tony,
    Test at +12 and unless the number drops under 150, feed him and hopefully he will eat. Then give 0.75 unit insulin. In that order. Always check the BSL then feed,then give the insulin.
    If the BSL is up around 218 then you could leave testing after the shot until +3 I think. If it is lower then you might like to get a +2..

If the preshot number is under 150 when you test just before the insulin, stall, don't feed and post and ask for help. Put a help in the subject line of the post. Then you will test 20 minutes after that to see if the BSL is going up at all.......but I don't think this will happen. I think the AMPS will be around the 218 or higher.
    Does all that make sense? I'm heading to bed now that is why I am telling you this now. Hopefully Chris who has also been helping will pop her head in at some stage to see how you are going. But if you get stuck there will be others there to help....you just need to ask.
    If you are unsure of anything always ask and we will help you.

If you can keep the SS updated as you go along that would be a great help as we always look at that when we help you.
    Because of the recent DKA it is really important Rumpy eats well and gets plenty of fluids as well.. giving the dry food at this stage is fine as we need him to eat. Once things settle down we can address the issue of low carb food.
    Bron

11. Bron and Sheba (GA)

If you can get a urine to test for ketones at some point today, that would be really good thanks.

MrRumps likes this.
  12. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Thank you Bron for the amazing information. I really appreciate it, I'm going to make sure I take it all step by step and ask for help if needed. This all makes sense, thanks again.
    Tony T.

13. Bron and Sheba (GA)

You are very welcome.
    I did mention this last night to Shelly but there was a lot going on... if you are wanting to bring the shot time back to your original times, you can do it by shifting the time 15 minutes earlier a cycle or 30 minutes earlier a day. So if you like you can shift it 15 minutes earlier this morning and 15 minutes each cycle until you get back to your best time or you can do it 30 minutes earlier this morning and then 30 minutes tomorrow morning and then you should be back on track. Hope that makes sense.

It will all get much easier once Rumpy recovers fully from the DKA. It is hard for a couple of weeks until they start eating properly again and things get back to normal. You have all had a very rough time and have managed really well...including Rumpy who has been a real trouper through all the testing.

14. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Hello, I tested Rumpy at +12 and his bsl were at 269, I gave him wet food and then .75 insulin. I'll retest at +3 but, with the bsl being at 269, is that a bad thing?
    Thank you for the help again!

15. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Hello,
    just a quick update. I just tested rumpy and he is at 129, I just updated the ss and as you'll read, we're having a thunderstorm. He's hiding from the storm only, other than that he's acting himself. Do you suggest I test in another +3?
    thanks.

16. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I would get a +5.....that's a pretty good drop for so early in the cycle.

MrRumps likes this.
  17. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Just tested Rumpy and he was at 106, I've updated the ss, with notes. What do you suggest we do from here? Testing wise, and insulin? His bsl did the same thing yesterday, around the same time also.
    thank you for helping me out!! Shelly is back home from work. thank God!! :)

18. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Tony -- you'll get the hang of this! Promise!!

I think giving Rumpy a bit of low carb food would be a lovely mid-cycle snack. You're seeing great numbers. There's nothing scary about how the cycle is progressing. The low carb should keep the cycle in these numbers.

MrRumps likes this.
  19. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

thank you so much! very encouraging words! :)

20. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Hi Shelly and Tony
    You did a great job looking after Rumpy while Shelly was at work Tony. It makes things so much easier when there is more than one person who can test and give insulin. Rumpy is a lucky boy.
    How is Rumpy’s appetite today?
    Were you able to get a urine ketone test?
    All that information in the SS remarks column is great by the way.

21. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

It does make things so much easier.
    Rumpy is still eating here and there on his tiki cat chicken and some dry food. He took morning tests really well. Afternoon tests he was scared for (it was storming) and since that he has been laying under my bed.

No ketone test yet. However, it looked like he may have peed in his bed, it smelled like pee and was sticky but wasn’t a puddle if that makes sense? Almost like a spray.. I feel like he’s mad at us for testing and disrupting his comfort. He’s always been kind of sensitive.

He’s purring when we pet him and alert. Just seems irritated with us. He a small portion of chicken about an hour ago when I set it by him under the bed. It took him awhile to actually eat it.

22. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

negative ketone test!

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  23. Bron and Sheba (GA)

That is really good news!!

24. Chris & China (GA)

25. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

MrRumps likes this.
  26. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

27. Wendy&Neko

No worries, it just helps if we keep all info for the day in one spot. Th important thing was that you don’t give more indulin if not all went in. We never know for sure how much made it in.

28. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

I put the rest in before I got your response. He seems okay. I am rechecking at +2. Is there a way to delete the post?

29. Chris & China (GA)

No...once there's been a response, you can't delete it....Don't worry about it. You're not the first and you won't be the last! ;)

MrRumps likes this.
  30. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Rumpys +2 was 310. It's still high, should I be worried? He's trembling during testing again. :(

31. Wendy&Neko

How much did you put in the second time?

32. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

.25 there wasn't that much left in the syringe, I don't think the full .75 went in as some came out when I realized the syringe plunger didn't push through

33. Wendy&Neko

Can you get one more test before bed? He may be OK, but just want to make sure.

34. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

I could set an alarm and test at +4? Or should I do +3? He’s currently grooming himself on the couch with me. He nibbles at the tiki chicken just now too. (Hardly any though)

35. Wendy&Neko

Either one should do, just don’t want to see a big drop after onset.

MrRumps likes this.
  36. Chris & China (GA)

He's not dropping too quickly....If you want to grab a +4 and then as long as he's still doing OK, you could probably call it a night and catch up on some sleep!

The way I understand it, you didn't give another shot, correct? You just gave what was left in the original syringe?

37. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Okay. Alarm set for +4

And we were going to put the same needle back in, but was afraid to cause a problem. We gave him a different shot with .25 cause that’s all that was left in the initial one. We did this before getting the messages, I hope I didn’t mess something up for him but we could easily tell how much it was left. And I know we still were under .75

38. Chris & China (GA)

OK....next time, if something like that happens, just call it a furshot and don't try to "make up the difference"

I had a few times when I'd shoot China where she moved a little and I didn't get the whole shot in, but I'd just quickly re-insert the syringe and give what was left.

We can never know for 100% sure how much went in, so we don't re-shoot.

MrRumps likes this.
  39. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Okay! That was the first that happened and I kind of panicked. Will do that next time.

40. Chris & China (GA)

No worries.....we all have to learn and that's why this message board is such a Godsend! Lots of people who've been where we've been and can help us learn how to take care of our "extra-sweet" kitties!

41. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Thank you! You are so right. This page has helped me so much. I am going to nap for an hour and test at +4. Is there a range or trend I should be looking for?

42. Chris & China (GA)

If he were to drop into the blues, I'd probably want you to get another test in later, but I doubt that's going to happen.

Hopefully our good friend @Bron and Sheba will be able to check in later too

43. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  44. Chris & China (GA)

Thanks @Bron and Sheba !....I'll leave the "night shift" to you!!

Hopefully Rumpy (and Shelly and Tony) will have a quiet night and everybody can get some sleep!

45. Bron and Sheba (GA)

There seems to be three threads going for Rumpy at the moment. Maybe if we stick to this one it will stop any confusion. Is that ok with you Shelly/Tony?
    Would you be able to put ‘recent history of DKA ‘ in your signature please? .....As it makes a difference in the way we help with dosing and overall care. Thx

MrRumps and Chris & China (GA) like this.
  46. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Sorry, I overslept for the +4 reading but his +6 was 413

and sorry for multiple threads

47. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Don’t apologise. It’s fine.
    I think you need to increase to 1 unit at AMPS.( morning dose)
    Are either of you home to test tomorrow?

48. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

ketone test was just negative too. Are these numbers because I didn't do the shot correctly? Increasing dosage because he has more sugar that needs to be controlled? Just trying to understand and interpret better so I can eventually make the decision myself. Thank you so much for being here. This number scared me and I felt terrible for oversleeping.

yes Shelly works mid morning and Tony will be home. When to test next?

49. Bron and Sheba (GA)

That’s great the urine test is negative.
    You gave the rest of the insulin didn’t you? So he got the full dose most likely. Even this last cycle I was thinking he probably needed an increase.
    The reason the BSL has increased is probably a combination of two things.
    1. The depot from the 1.5 dose has depleted after we reduced the dose back to 0.75 units. And now the current dose is not enough.
    2. Rumpy is probably eating more than two days ago.
    This happens in all cats when you reduce the dose. The depot can last for a few cycles after the reduction. If this new dose is enough the BSL won’t go back up. This is pretty normal for this to happen after DKA kitties come home. They start to eat better, and they need a bit more insulin. Because of the DKA we don’t want to see higher numbers so that is why we are very proactive with increases when DKA is in the picture. With a kitty which just has diabetes and no DKA we increase the insulin more slowly.
    Don’t feel bad for oversleeping. There is nothing you can do about the 413. No need to test now til AMPS.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Reason for edit: Explaining further
  50. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Okay thank you for explaining that. It all makes sense! Going to try and get some sleep!

I’ll start a new 4/14 AMPS thread and link this one.