4/17 Asia AMPS 290, +4.5 287 making food MC/HC discovery

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Stacy & Asia, Apr 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/4-14-asia-amps-505-pee-pee-problems.194138/

Asia had pee pee pants again yesterday. We started antibiotics (again) last night. No bacteria in the urine and they didn’t culture it, but there was elevated WBCs in her urine, we are treating it like a UTI based on her history and symptoms. I hope this is problem and the antibiotics fix it.

Great news again, I found an animal hospital that will let me be with Asia to calm her during her echocardiogram so that is in the works for an appointment to be set as we speak. :)

I also found a great way to make the food she normally eats a little higher carb. I added some dehydrated potato flakes to it (and enough water to compensate). I know some of the instant mashed potato probably has herbs or chemicals in it, but I got Bob’s red mill which is only dehydrated potato. I added 3/4 tsp the first time I tried it, it worked, but may have been too much. The second time I added 1/4 tsp and it was great.

2. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Great news on finding the hospital that is mommy friendly!! I hope the food recipe works for you.........hang in there!!!

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope the AB helps. I'm glad you found a place that will let you stay with Asia. Good idea on the food. Sending prayers.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  4. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

5. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Great news about the hospital complying with you accompanying Asia for a visit!

And wonderful about the potatoes! I will try this the next time I have to steer Bubba rather than FF Food !

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  6. Stacy & Asia

It’s so simple, I’m kicking myself why something like this didn’t occur to me before! If you try it, let me know how it works. I have major phosphorus concerns at the moment, so FF is not an option, and even some of the “low p” cat foods are still too high for Asia.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  7. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Excellent news about your appointment at the animal hospital. And thanks for the tip about Bob's potato flakes. Rusty doesn't like syrup and won't eat his food if I put in a drop. But he might eat the potato.
    Good luck with the antibiotics for Miss Pee Pee Pants.

Beth 73 and Stacy & Asia like this.
  8. Stacy & Asia

Neither will Asia, I have to hide the syrup in some gravy which is all too high p for my liking. Potatoes are bland enough that it shouldn’t have much taste. They are not as low p as I’d like either, but still lower than meat. You could also use rice flour (very low p).

9. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

@Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) @Stacy & Asia Boomer will lick the syrup off the spoon lol he loves it!

Happy to hear you are allowed in with Asia during the ultrasound. I hope the antibiotics helps her!

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  10. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

A true "sugarcat"!

11. Stacy & Asia

That’s so weird! :joyful:

I’ve always been told cats can’t taste sweet things. But then they drink antifreeze because it’s sweet? :confused: Which is it?

Civvie Toki loves anything with carbs, cornbread, cheese puffs, cookies, cupcakes, whatever she can find. We have to hide everything in the microwave to keep it away from her, she will chew through the bag and gorge herself if given a chance. Oh, and she turns her nose up at human food meat! :rolleyes:

Beth 73 and Judy and Boomer like this.
  12. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

Ooo in the city? So glad they are letting you stay in the room so sweet Asia isn’t nervous

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  13. Stacy & Asia

Well, I guess not. They said yes to my DH yesterday and when I called to make the appointment today, they said no. I didn’t make the appointment. :mad: :banghead: :arghh:

14. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

I had a conversation with Dr Larry a few years ago because he told me that cats can't taste sweet yet my Snickers absolutely loved anything sweet (especially pudding lol)

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  15. Stacy & Asia

It’s a bad news/good news kind of day...

OMG! :woot: Asia just itched her ear with her back leg!!! I cannot tell you how long it’s been since she was able to do that, maybe 2 years?! She is itchy and will try to get there but can’t reach and just beats her foot on the ground rapidly like thumper and then I come in and itch for her. Adequan? It was only one dose so far, on Sunday, but I don’t know how else to explain it! :)

16. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Glad you started Adequan. I hope it helps the little Furry Potato. :smuggrin:

17. Janine & Floyd (GA)

Janine & Floyd (GA) Member

Oh, this is a great idea to add some carbs!! We are in the same situation with limiting phosphorus, so this may be a better option with Floyd's home-cooked than what I have been doing. Of course, Floyd will eat ANYTHING, so I don't have to worry about the flavor!

Sorry about the cardiologist changing their mind about having you in with Asia. :(

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  18. Stacy & Asia

If he will eat anything, I would pick rice over potato. You could add rice or rice flour. I don’t know if one will be a bigger boost bg wise vs another, but 1/2 cup of white rice is 37 mg of p vs 1 medium baked potato is 141 mg of p.

Thanks, I really don’t get why it’s a big deal in the city, it’s really not elsewhere. I’m going to see if having my vet call and ask on my behalf will change the answer back to a yes. Paws crossed!

19. Stacy & Asia

Me too! If this is what happens after one shot...I can’t even let myself imagine the possibilities. The furry potato would certainly love to climb her cat tree again! :cat:

I don’t know why it has a bad rep with some vets? I’ve had 2 of them tell me it didn’t work for cats and was a waste of time. Maybe the dosage/loading doses were inadequate? Since it’s made for dogs, there is a whole odd range of how to dose for a cat, which is why I polled here because even my vet was not familiar. I’m sure it doesn’t work for every cat, but it works for enough here that I wouldn’t say it’s a waste of time to try it.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  20. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Interesting about the potatoes. The cardiologist I use allows you in the room. As far as I know you have to request not to be present. He is a traveling cardiologist that goes to the ER hospitals for a day and does the echos.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  21. Stacy & Asia

I know, this is what I hear from everywhere that isn’t NYC. Tell him to travel over here! ;)

22. Olive & Paula

I don't know if he goes into the city, but he does go into NY, PA and I think CT.

23. Stacy & Asia

That’s my next option is to look outside the city, but a car ride is very hard on her these days, she gets motion sickness ever since she lost her hearing. :( She used to love car rides.

24. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Maybe if your DH calls and makes the appointment, they would put in the notes you are to be allowed? o_O:confused:

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  25. Olive & Paula

What about Cornell?

26. Stacy & Asia

I wish he could have made an appointment, but he was calling to ask if I could be there and they said absolutely they could accommodate and just needed a referral. It’s a specialty clinic and hospital, so we can’t make an appointment without a vet referral. I have no idea why the answers were different on 2 different days.

27. Stacy & Asia

That is very, very far, I could almost be in Canada by the time I got there. I bet the Canadian vets would let me be with her! :smuggrin:

28. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Good luck with that. Depends on the vet. I never saw Neko's echos being done.

Try calling a third time (or get DH to do it). I think you got the wrong receptionist the second time.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  29. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Prayers that they let you in, Stacy :bighug:

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  30. Stacy & Asia

We did try, it wasn’t the receptionist, she was helpful and tried to talk to the doctor/s. Paula gave me some info on someone that comes to a practice fairly close to me, so I have another option to explore if my vet can plead my way in here.

31. Stacy & Asia

Thank you, I’m not accepting no, so if they say no, I will find a yes somewhere else. Just bummed as she could have had this done tomorrow if they let me be in there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.