4/2 Vyktor AMPS 175 +3.5 178 +6 142 +9 189 - hypertension

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Vyktors Mum, Apr 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Yesterday's dental day

Vyktor
    I think his numbers are ok all things considered. Turns out he had far more teeth left than I had been led to believe. He had five out including his last fang. I think having that removed is helping him eat more easily, it must have been pretty hard for him to pick up food being unbalanced with a fang on one side but not on the other. The vet tells me all he has left now are a few of those really tiny ones and that it's very unusual for a cat to have problems with those.

He is eating ravenously, better than he has for weeks. Hilariously he is even eating foods that he hates so I am taking advantage and clearing the cupboard of those foods - that bupe is great stuff ;)

I'm exhausted today even after 9 hours sleep (in three parts). It's unheard of for me to sleep so long, I guess keeping it together yesterday really took it out of me. Also we have a new problem to consider so that took the wind out of my sails somewhat.

Vyktor's blood pressure was fine throughout the op but when they withdrew the isoflurane it kept going up and up - to 200 (systolic). Having conducted a little research it looks like this may have been a problem for a long time. It could explain his proprioception issues and also the on and off yowling behaviour. I'm a bit spewing that neither his regular vet or his acupuncture vet picked up that blood pressure might be a problem. They were both aware of both issues.

My preliminary research tells me that getting equipment to test BP at home might not be practical (cost and skills required to operate) but that although his pressure will absolutely spike at the vets it shouldn't spike high enough for us not to be able to medicate to keep him in a safe and normal range. The vet mentioned a transdermal version of amlodipine.

Any tips/experience etc in relation to high BP would be appreciated. @Amy&TrixieCat this means you ;) and anyone else of course, Trixie is the only one I remember as having high BP off the top of my head.

I've been working on getting his labs into his spreadsheet today. I've finished with the chemistry but still have hematology to go. It's a bit of a brain drain as I've been looking things up as I go :bookworm:

Vyktor is doing well - he's smashed on the bupe and basically just sleeping, and eating and drinking when I take it to him. I want to answer everyone's comments from yesterday but I'm just too tired so instead a general thank you for being there with us yesterday. I'm sure you all understand how much it's appreciated :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Purrdy
    AMPS 268 +3 263 +7 313
    Apparently he does better with a skipped shot than the 18 hour cycles :rolleyes:. Mum is hilarious she saw the pink and was ready to increase straight away (increases are usually a touchy subject) but I've told her to keep her patience pants on while the depot has a chance to fill.

How exciting for Ivana to be starting her OTJ trial - you go girl! :D:D:D

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Good news that Vyktor is eating well! Keep it up Vyktor!
    Sorry to hear about the high BP. Sheba had slightly high BP and my vet put her on benazapril....Vet Ace here. It is mainly used for cats with CRD who have protein in their urine ( which Sheba had) but it also is good for BP. Sometimes cats need another BP tablet as well if the VetAce is not enough. It manages Sheba's BP well.. I just crush it up and put it in her food and she eats it up.

3. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

I think Vyktor's numbers are awesome, after all he's been through. How funny that Mr. Persnickity is eating everything in site. [​IMG] Those must be some good drugs! Too bad about the BP, but at least you know now and can take steps to get it under control. That might just explains some stuff that you were worried about.

Yeah, I'm on the fence about the 18 hour thing. I felt that Cinco did just as well, if not better, with a skipped shot. But ECID, of course. Hysterical that your mum was ready to do a dosecrease. Good thing cooler heads prevailed.

So how are YOU holding up, after all the drama? Great that you go some sleep. I hope you're feeling mostly relief. Vyktor's a tough old bird, and he does seem to want to stick around for a while. ;):) Sending lots of healing vines for his recovery.

Hey, Vyktor! You didn't need those toofies, ya know! Mines have been gone a long time and I still eats a lot. Tell yer mum you want some of that gum likor stuff. That'll make the hurt go away! Me'n Harv hope you feels better soon
    . - Cinco

4. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about Vyktors BP, but so happy that he has come through his dental OK, it is just too funny that he has the Bupe Munchies.
    Sending vines for a full recovery for him.

5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Vyktor is doing well after his dental and eating so much. Sorry about the high BP, but at least it is something you can treat. I hope Purrdy gets back on track soon.

6. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Sorry about the BP, but good news that he is eating!

7. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

So glad the dental went well! Trix needs a dental badly but her kidneys are so bad that she's too high of a risk....it's very upsetting to me knowing we can't do this thing that could help her.

Anyway, yes, she's been on .625mg amlodipine for 2 years now. She is also on benazepril, partly to help with her BP, partly because of her CKD. But with the amlodipine, she gets it once a day, and thanks to my FD training I am VERY meticulous about the timing - exactly every 24 hours! You are right about testing at home: at least as of now, any equipment that the average pet owner could afford does not work accurately, and any accurate equipment is very costly plus it requires a certain amount of training. So we're stuck hauling them off to the vet.

My vet uses 170 as her cut off - she feels that 170 is enough to account for white count syndrome. With that said, I know there are a few cats out there who can spike higher than that when under stress, thus giving a somewhat false reading. If I remember correctly, I think Wendy's Neko did that once when she was stuck waiting way too long in a dog-filled office. At my vet's office, they take the kitties back to a "calm room" for BP checks, and they always do it at the very beginning of an appointment, before any poking and prodding goes on.

Ideally, you should have his BP rechecked every 3 months (once he is regulated) to make sure he doesn't need a dose adjustment. Unfortunately I really can't do that with Trix because she tends to have p-titis flares even after a simple BP check...not ideal for most cats, but it's what works best for her.

Also, this is just my own experience, but for Trix cypro seemed to interact with her BP meds. I believe it made her BP drop too low because when she had her first p-titis flare and wasn't eating well, I gave her a sliver of cypro and shortly after she was very, very frighteningly weak. So it's just something to keep in mind - that there can be interactions (as there can be with any drugs).

For her, I do use tablets, but that's because I'm already pilling her with other stuff and she's fairly easy to pill. I used transdermal tapazole for my GA civvie Mario's HyperT and that transdermal gel was a godsend. But, you do have to stay on top of keeping those ears clean because the gel builds up and then the meds aren't properly absorbed.

Sending prayers for a speedy recovery!!

Vyktors Mum likes this.
  8. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

glad the dental was successful....

just love the taking advantage part....

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Gabby was started on amlodipine, as well. There was a lot going on at the time but she did not have the best response. One of the side effects can be loss of appetite and she stopped eating in her usual clean plate club way. We switched to telmisartan, which is relatively new for cats. She had a much better response.

Vyktors Mum likes this.
  10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Aweseome that Vyktor is eating well. I hope it continues.

Neko is on benazapril for her proteinuria and Amy remembers correctly, it's tricky getting an accurate BP on her. The first time at vetty was an epic fail. After the wait in a barky overcrowded lobby, she was 210. Next up we tried at the acupuncture vetty and in their quiet front area, a puppy walking nearby jumped her kennel - 185 BP. A couple weeks after that she had a dental, and in the quiet cat room with feliway's, she was 146 before surgery. I really do have to get her tested again. So far I've been going by BP tests taken before she's had anesthesia. Not what I want as a regularly scheduled activity. :rolleyes: There is lots to read on http://www.felinecrf.org/hypertension.htm

Vyktors Mum likes this.
  11. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Very nice to hear Vyktor is eating good! I agree on cleaning out the food cabinet when the opportunity is there ;) Hopefully Purrdy will get back to business soon.:bighug::bighug:

12. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Our regular vet at first said that they do not test blood pressure, so I called around and started taking J.D. a half hour further to a new vet (South Branch) that did have the equipment. They said his BP was fine. upload_2016-4-2_10-11-1.png upload_2016-4-2_10-6-17.png

I thought it was too high, and worried and worried, and asked everyone, and finally, I took him to an Internal Medicine Doctor for a second opinion on his BP. That turned into a 2 hour appointment with 4 doctors in the room (5 humans and 1 cat in a room the size of a medium bathroom) and a lecture at me about diabetes. They finally, took him to the back room and when they came back they said his BP was fine, but all they gave me was one number SYS 160.

Then, after hearing about all this, J.D.'s regular vet said they could test his BP, and brought the equipment in from another room, and I guess since J.D. was more relaxed at/with his regular vet, these are some of the results from there:
    upload_2016-4-2_10-7-4.png upload_2016-4-2_10-8-22.png upload_2016-4-2_10-9-7.png upload_2016-4-2_10-9-44.png

I'm just saying that J.D. was always good as gold at the vets, and didn't act stressed (although he did howl on the drive there and was silent and happy on the drive home). Vet stress may be playing a part in Vyktor's BP. I wonder if there is any way you could have a vet come to your home where Vyktor is more relaxed and get a BP test there.

I'm so glad he's eating well. :bighug: Getting that last fang out probably really helped. :cat:

Vyktors Mum likes this.
  13. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Max has been on amlodipine for over two years, maybe three. I get tablets and cut them. I use a gram scale to weigh the pieces and put in a gel cap. He gets a treat of npbaby food to wash it down. From what I've been told tge transdermal just us t reliable enough. The pills can also be compounded but honestly cutting isn't a big deal. I do a week at a time. I would take him back for another BP check once he has healed though.

I'm glad the dental is behind you and he is eating well. :bighug:

Vyktors Mum likes this.
  14. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Sorry about the BP but glad to hear the appy is back. Hope you find the right med for him.

15. Tara & Ivana (GA)

Tara & Ivana (GA) Well-Known Member

Just caught up on yesterday's post (which was actually day before yesterday's now), so glad Vyktor did well and is eating. Hopefully his BP stabilises soon.

16. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

So glad hid dental went well. Wonderful he is eating well. Sorry about the BP. :bighug:

17. Peg and Toby

Peg and Toby Well-Known Member

Glad to hear Vyktor is eating . Sorry to hear about his BP. Sending healing vines for Vyktor.

18. Marilyn and Polly

Marilyn and Polly Well-Known Member

Your grand o' man sure is one heck of a trooper, Serryn. I adore him. I used to pet sit a little ol' man with CKD and hypertension and chronic UTI. He did great with his meds...oh, he didn't want to take them but they really helped. Lots of vines ... sort of insurance, you know.

Marilyn and Polly

Vyktors Mum likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.