4/30 | Darwin update & Ben's Echo today :(

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tasha & Darwin, Apr 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tasha & Darwin

Tasha & Darwin Well-Known Member

Condo

Hello L&LL friends. I'll start on the positive note that Darwin is still doing great. I've come to find he cannot tolerate RadCat lamb - tried a second time, and the profuse vomiting ensued, again. I'll be sticking to the turkey and chicken for now, and then trying something new (maybe less fatty?) next. Otherwise, he's as happy as can be. :cat:

In other, not so happy, news; Ben had his echocardiogram today and has been diagnosed with Dilated Cardiomyopathy. The cardiologist is calling it preclinical DCM as his only symptom right now is tachycardia (elevated heart rate). He couldn't rule out that the tachycardia is not from uncontrolled pain (despite all of his pain meds), but there was definitely poor contractility of his heart and an enlarged/dilated left ventricle.

We're going to start him on Pimobendan, and also supplement some additional Taurine, but also start Adequan, and maybe CBD oil for additional pain relief, as well. We don't want to increase the Pred (esp. with the DCM), and he's essentially maxed out on Gaba and Bupe already.

Any thoughts on diets that are "heart friendly" - I am doing some research, but can't find a whole lot other than the recommendation of Rx diets, which I am not going to feed (Hills, Royal Canin, etc). He's currently eating FF classics canned, but sometimes Weruva as well.

Here are some photos of both boys (including Darwin's tongue out!):
    Darwin tongue out.jpg

2. Tasha & Darwin

Benny Ben.jpg
    Well, here's handsome Ben because I posted the thread before attaching his photo :cat:

3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Darwin is doing well. I'm sorry to hear about Ben's diagnosis. I don't know anything about heart issues, but sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Tasha & Darwin likes this.
  4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Love the pictures.

5. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

6. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Asia couldn’t tolerate the lamb either, I got it to try and all seemed well with the first tub, but as soon as I ordered 4 more large tubs of it, wouldn’t you know, it didn’t work out. It made her bloated. I switched her back to turkey and chicken, just have to hope the p binders can do the rest. What a ham Darwin is! Something tells me he knows it too! :p

I’m so sorry to hear about Ben and what a sweet face he has. :cat: It sounds like kind of good news that it’s preclinical? I really hope the meds help keep it controlled. I got the canna companion pills for Asia, they make a lot of claims of what it can do (one is with heart issues) and I haven’t seen much by way of most of those, but it does, very much help with augmenting pain management. Canna companion will give you a free vet phone consult too, worth calling and discussing what sort of dose may help Ben with pain/heart issues. I had to cut down Asia’s bupe dose because she got saucer eyed on her regular dose after starting the canna. I really hope it does the same for Ben. I would absolutely give it a try. Good idea on the taurine as well. Don’t know about heart healthy diets. Sending strong heart and extremely slow disease progression vines Ben’s way! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Cute pics of the boys. Love the tongue.

Sorry about Ben's diagnosis. :bighug: He is very handsome. The only thing I was told about heart friendly diets is low sodium. Weruva is pretty good at listing the sodium percent, and I seem to rememher a number of their fuds are OK. I tried feeding raw where I could, ie. when Neko would eat it as it was lowest sodium. Neko was also on pimomedin/Vetmedin and it seemed to help.

8. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

Good update on Darwin. So sorry about Ben’s diagnosis. I don’t know anything about heart issues. Sending prayers. :bighug:

9. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

:bighug:Sorry about the dx. Sending healing feel good vines to Ben:bighug::bighug:
    Both your boys are sooo cute:cat::cat:

10. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

It's great to hear Darwin is doing so well, he's such a photogenic kitty, as is Ben :D. No thoughts to share for heart-friendly food, but I'm glad you caught his condition, how old is Ben? Maverick's brother, Merlin, passed away suddenly one morning at home with me, he was approx. 5 years old, hard to know what happened, I always suspected an unknown heart condition :( Sending lots of positive vines your way, both kitties are in great, caring hands :bighug:

11. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Glad to see Darwin doing well. But sorry to hear Ben's diagnosis. I hope you'll be able to find some satisfactory foods for him. Vines are on the way for him to stay "preclinical."
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

12. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice pics...Davidson is forever sticking out his tongue, too cute when they do that. Sorry to hear about Ben. Sending vines....

13. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Hope the CBD oil helps. Vines for Ben :bighug:

14. Tasha & Darwin

Thanks! It is good that he's considered preclinical, and hopefully a very slow progression since we're catching it quite early. I'll have to look into Canna companion - it's good to get recommendations on things that other people have tried. Do you mix the capsules into food?

15. Tasha & Darwin

Thank you!

I'm so sorry about Merlin - how awful!! :( Ben is almost 17 years old, so he's certainly not a young man as it is. Aside from his spinal problems, he has been healthy otherwise. :bighug:

16. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

I have opened them up and dumped them in her food sometimes. It’s kind of a catnipish smell? I usually put it in a blob of cream cheese and she thinks it’s the best treat ever and eats it! :cat: She has gone from a cat that refuses to eat anything that isn’t her cat food, to a cat that will eat cheese and cream cheese. No idea why, but not complaining. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.