5-12 Gizmo pics added

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Chubba (GA), May 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

Last Post

After much research and tears, we have decided not to seek any further treatment for Gizmo’s cancer.
    @Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey - yes the diagnosis was from his regular vet office, but they are an emergency vet also. So they have a bit more experience than a regular vet practice (at least more than I have experienced with our previous vets). However with that being said, I do understand they are not cancer experts and told us as much.

Gizmo has several small masses throughout his liver. So from what I understand, it would not be easily removable. Everything I’m reading is leaning towards small cell being easier to treat, unless it is one single large mass in the liver and then surgery is usually successful. However, with his BG dropping lower, we are concerned with a different type of cancer and the vet did say she would treat with steroids if he dropped dangerously low (just to keep his BG in a safe range). We were told that lymphoma would be best case senario and I’m just not positive treatment would even help him based on what I’m reading. And if it did, average remission is a year and then he has to go through all of this sickness again.

He has been very distant the past few days. He hasn’t wanted his sugar checked for several days now and has actually started to shy away when I try to pet him. Since we have made the decision to just let him enjoy life and quit all the pokes and prods ... he has actually starting coming around more and purring again. He is enjoying extra treats, outside time, and extra attention. He loves to be outside, so the kids and I are are going to try to take him for a walk everyday and just enjoy spending time with him on his good days.

The irony of it all is we having been talking about taking the kids to visit Niagara Falls (we have been there, but they never have). We decided this summer would be a perfect time to visit since (1) Gizmo went into remission and we would be able to take a vacation and (2) it just seemed like the perfect time to visit (since Gizmo is enjoying life at the falls). However that is all on hold now, but we will visit sometime and when we do it will be extra special and bittersweet. And of course, we will make sure to give head butts and chin scratches to all the kitties!

I will continue to provide updates on Gizmo. Eventhough Gizmo is off of insulin, everyone on this forum is our extended family. :bighug:

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    LuvinThisPig and Juliet like this.
  2. Juliet

Juliet Guest

So how is Gizmo feeling now all the prods and pokes have stopped? I hope he comes around to his normal self.

The Falls are beautiful - you must come to the Canadian horseshoe falls. I live about an hour away from them and have been a few times. Well worth the trip. How far is it for you? Now that Gizmo is off insulin perhaps you could get a pet sitter and take a day trip?

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Oh Chubba, tears and smiles for you. And many, many hugs. Here's to enjoying every moment with Gizmo, I hope he has many happy days ahead.:bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  4. Chubba (GA)

Gizmo is feeling much better today. He is up and about and loving.

We live about 4-5 hours away. So a bit much for a day trip. We want to spend several days when we make the trip. Last time we were there, we did come to the Canadian side and did the journey behind the falls. It was awesome. This time we plan to stay on the American side. (Kinda scares me to cross the border with kids and dealing with passports and everything).

Bellasmom and Juliet like this.
  5. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug:

To many, many good days.

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  6. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Titan sends his Purry Buddy Prayers to Gizmo and you. :bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  7. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

LOVE LIGHT HEALING PRAYERS I am glad he is happy You are giving him what is needed right now:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  8. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Prayers for Gizmo & you and your family. Such an emotional roller coaster :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  9. Camille and Cyclone

Camille and Cyclone Well-Known Member

Many tears and hugs. Now it's all about keeping him comfortable and happy for as long as possible. Prednisolone may be a option; it's one of the drugs often used to treat cancer and may be helpful at some point for inflammation and loss of appetite.

Yes, large cell is difficult to treat and even if successful is only very rarely a cure. With my kitty who was (briefly) on the intensive injected chemo protocol the oncologist said the objective is palliative rather than curative, which is why they use a level of chemo that most cats tolerate very well. He also said we do it more for ourselves than our cats. I thought that was very honest.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    LuvinThisPig, Chubba (GA) and Juliet like this.
  10. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Canada is pretty open with passports etc - so long as they are in order you will have no problems....I think its the US of A that is extra specially strict on that one!

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  11. Chubba (GA)

That exact thought came up many times as we were considering our options. We decided that his avoiding us was his way of telling us that he had had enough. And I’m thinking it was a sign that as soon as we decided to not push foward, he started coming around and seems back to himself again. Although, he is still peeing on things. :( Just trying to keep him in a smaller confined area and keep an eye of him.

The ultrasound vet was the one who suggested steroids. His normal vet was very much against it because of his diabetes. However, they are both at the same practice, so I’m sure I can convince his regular vet. I will push that issue when needed and also push for pain meds (gaba) at least when I feel it is absolutely necessary.

12. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I completely understand just focusing on keeping him comfortable. Sometimes the treatment is just not worth it. We have to think of the kitties too. I know it is not an easy decision to make. Just try to focus on each day and not think about what the future holds. I hope you have many good days with Gizmo. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  13. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug:Its hard to make these kinds of decisions but the one positive is once the decision in made it becomes a little easier. Sending tons of hugs to you and your family:bighug::bighug: Chin scritches galore for Gizmo:kiss:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  14. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

I'm happy to hear Gizmo is coming back around for loving. It's never easy having to process a scary diagnosis, but I really do find there is some peace in sometimes just letting things be, and enjoying your special moments and just giving them extra love and attention. He will be happy and loved, well-cared for, there are worse things in this world, hoping for many many more good days ahead :bighug::bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  15. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

I’m so sorry this is happening. :bighug: I think it’s a very wise and compassionate choice you are making and it seems Gizmo agrees. I would push for antibiotics or steroids and pain meds or whatever to get him over this hump with the pee pee pants. Whatever helps to keep him comfortable and happy. I hope you have much more time with a happy Gizmo. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  16. Chubba (GA)

77050D23-3DD5-447B-B834-0A640B95042B.jpeg 89E8711D-B705-43B9-804A-3236FFDD6611.jpeg
    Some pics from our outdoor adventures today. He even had a picnic on the porch for his afternoon snack.

His 13th birthday (and civvies made up birthday) is Tuesday. He wants to invite all his kitty friends over for carb free cake and ice cream! :p

17. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Cherish the good days. Take lots of photos and videos, build those good memories. :bighug::bighug::bighug: He's a very handsome kitty.

One member here posted a pic of her OTJ kitty at Niagara Falls.

18. Chubba (GA)

That would be neat!

19. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Oh his baldy tum! When they did that to Asia for her u/s we were all sad at first, but we decided we ended up liking it, she likes tum rubs and it was just the softest fuzzy tum skin, a perfect place for a hand when we napped together.

I’m glad he’s having a nice day outside. He’s gorgeous! :cat:

Chubba (GA) and LuvinThisPig like this.
  20. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Aawww. He looks good. I took my Gizmo out (in my arms, he won't have anything to do with a harness) last weekend. We stood in the sunshine and he watched the birds and squirrels. Then he wanted down so I put him in his carrier in the front yard for about 30 min. Enjoy every minute, hour and day. :bighug::cat:

Chubba (GA) and LuvinThisPig like this.
  21. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

What a handsome fellow!! Vines for strength and peace. Head bumps from Phoebe. His eyes are gorgeous.

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  22. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

What a soft fuzzy grey handsome guy!!!

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  23. LuvinThisPig

LuvinThisPig Well-Known Member

He is such a handsome boy!! All the light and love for many wonderful days.. You know him the best and know this is the right decision... Take peace in that and cherish him for who he is... If ever you should need anything... :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  24. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Very handsome guy! Sending lots of vines and :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  25. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I know that you and your family are doing what is right for you and Gizmo. Sending much love and vines of comfort to Gizmo. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  26. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Prayers and vines that you and your family have many many more days with Gizmo. He is just beautiful also! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  27. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Sending you hugs and vines for you....:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  28. Chubba (GA)

He needs to grow a bit of hair back. It is kinda strange feeling right now. Now his leg where the IV was during his overnight hospital stay, is almost like velvet ... I need his tummy to get that way. ;)
    I tried actually taking him for a walk up a backwoods driveway by our house, but he was to interested in everything to walk. So I ended up carrying him, but then he got to hot. We just came back to the yard and hung out ... he was happy and that’s all that mattered to me.

Thank you everyone for the prayers, vines, and well wishes. :kiss:

29. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear this :( But happy to hear Gizmo has been feeling well and is feeling lovey now. Many hugs.

Chubba (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.