? 5-14 Gizmo Low BG & Cabergoline advice

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Chubba (GA), May 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

Last Post

Gizmo developed quite a rash on his belly after his afternoon spent outdoors on Saturday. I noticed it last night. It was bright reddish purple and was on the lower part of his belly (where he was shaved for the ultrasound). He was pretty distant yesterday, so I just left him be. At least the rash seems to be clearing some today. I took a pic this morning, so that I can compare tomorrow morning, but I’m pretty sure it is going away. Thank goodness. The poor boy has enough to deal with.

The vet prescribed gabapentin for him. 25 mg once or twice a day. We are going to start with twice a day and then decrease if possible. When we returned from picking up his meds, he was awake and loving. :) He isn’t squatting anymore when he pees, which is a lot of the problem when he is in the litterbox and pees out the door. And when out of his area, he just pees wherever. :banghead: So hopefully the pain meds will help.

We have noticed he is starting to lose patches of hair, which is a side effect of cabergoline. Thinking of cutting him back to every other day. With his BG still dropping, I’m beginning to wonder if the cabergoline really did anything or not. Also, should I feed some higher carb food to help bring his BG back up? He never felt good in lower numbers and he has been in the 60s (AT2) lately. I almost wish they would treat the tumor with steroids, but that isn’t an option yet.

2. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

:bighug:

Wonder if the rash is allergies from grass. I get it on my feet if I walk through grass with flip flops (and itches to high heaven).

I don't have anything on the meds. :bighug:

3. Chubba (GA)

I read something about cats being allergic to the salt in concrete. And our sidewalk was his go to Saturday afternoon. I’m guessing his bare belly was just to sensitive. But I had him everywhere and he was lovin it so it is hard to tell. We will just have to limit outdoor time until his belly hair grows back. :(

4. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

I would imagine that exposed belly is just sensitive without Gizmo’s fur. I can tell you it takes forever to grow back. At least with Beenie and Ming.

I’m not sure about the patches of hair he’s losing. I didn’t know it was a side effect of Cabergoline. Wasn’t there another study where Cabergoline was given every other day? I’ll check one of Wendy’s posts for it

5. Chubba (GA)

Yes the South American study dosed every other day.

I have a feeling the belly hair is going to take forever to grow back. His leg (from the overnight visit and iv) is just starting to get some fuzz back on it. :(

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I think you'd be fine with EOD cabergoline.

I hope the gabapentin helps. If it doesn't, I would ask for buprenorphine. We tried gaba, but it didn't do much other than sedate Neko.

Piling on the vines for Gizmo. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  7. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

I thought it took a little longer with Beenie but Ming not having FD took almost as long. It’s probably due to age too, Ming is 12...almost 13.
    Once Gizmo has more fuzz it’ll protect him tummy more and more. Just as long as the rash is disappearing I would think it would be ok for him to enjoy the great outdoors.
    :bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  8. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't see why not cut the Cabergoline to EOD to see if that stops the hair loss. Hopefully the Gaba helps his pain, CBD oil or Golden Paste may be holistic remedies you could try.

Chubba (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.