? 5/3 Tiger AMPG 29 ;+1=90

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tiger(GA) and Ruth, May 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

Previous condo from the way back machine :oops:

Tiger's yesterday:
    amps 112
    +2=135
    +4=143
    +8=155
    +11=167
    pmps=164
    +2-153
    +4=115
    +5=85
    +7=49/48 gravy,karo
    +7.5=92
    +8.5=62 gravy(I needed to sleep :nailbiting:)
    +9=58 1/3 of pill pocket with pepcid and usually cerenia is our normal
    +11=63 no food given

5P's and clean plate accomplished this morning. Finally learning, when there is a question of a pancreatitis attack, it's best to keep the meds going. Tiger got her first naner, thanks to Amy for posting that link!

Good morning and Happy Belated May Day L & LL! It's hard to believe it's May already-where does the time go! We have had two deaths in the family, plus DH's mom has taken a turn for the worse. (Alzheimer's) On the home front, I realized it has been a year+ since our journey in Lantus Land began, at the risk of repeating myself, where does the time go! :rolleyes: You wonderful people helped me immensely, though I am not diciplined enough to post daily, I read almost daily and it has saved our lives, not to mention our sanity from the day we landed here scared to death and convinced this was a death sentence! I will never be able to thank you enough- thanks so much and tons of vines to all kitties and humans in need. :bighug:

My question: I skipped her shot this morning, but I want to confirm as Tiger is now a long term diabetic, due to the dip under 40, do I reduce .25 tonight?

2. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Is your subject line correct, a 29 at preshot or is that a 129 :eek: ? A 29 would be an automatic reduction, under 30 is 0.25 reduction regardless of length of time on insulin.

Sorry about all of the tough times going on for you this year. Hopefully May brings some better times with some nice weather.

From the TR sticky:

Please do not let yourself become complacent or blasé about drops into the 20s or 30s.
    • If kitty drops into the 20s, a full reduction of 0.25u (or 0.5u if kitty is on a higher dose) is strongly recommended.

• If your cat drops into the 30s, a full reduction of 0.25u is recommended. There are very few exceptions given for caregivers who have collected years of data and KNOW their cat's response to the combination of insulin and food backwards, forwards, and inside out.

• Caregivers whose kitties have "High Dose" conditions may find the need to reduce in whole units or more.
      Please ask for advice.

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I'm so very sorry for your losses. I know only too well how tough it is. :bighug:

Any time there is a drop under 40 it's an automatic .25 reduction unless your name is Max. Did you recheck that 29? If not I would still take the reduction. The other part of the protocol is three times under 50. That being said even then I think you gave to look at how hard it is to bring them back up and sometimes a reduction is needed before three times under 50.

Congrats on the reduction. I just saw your ss and see that 29 was posted correctly. I'm glad the +1 brought her up.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  4. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! Sadly, even when you expect the losses, it's been hard.

Melanie, yes, 29; I check all tests at least twice, the 2nd test was 28! :eek: I had already tested at +11 and she did not get any food, so it was a dropping number.

Elise, yes, I rechecked. (I shouldn't admit this, but no matter the number, I always re-check at least twice every time!:rolleyes:) Tiger was on the 2nd day of under 50 and then this happened. I hate to skip the shot, but I can't have her shot time be over an hour late. Now this will probably mess up all the progress she has made. For that reason, I don't really like the idea of the reduction either, but we will reduce .25 tonight. BTW @tiffmaxee I truly don't know how you and others diligently stay up so late at night, I admire you so much :bighug:, I'm such a wimp, I must be getting old or something! :oops::oops:

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Skipping will help drain the depot a little but I doubt and hope won't mess up the progress. I always fear that as well and even when a take a reduction. I think Tiger has hit the one year and is finally starting to level out like Max did. I see that with Chi Chi too. I've been noticing that cats that don't go into remission quickly seem to level out around this time in the dance.

You have a lot going on right now and I imagine being a little conservative with Tigers dosing right now would be a good thing for you. :bighug::bighug:

Tiger(GA) and Ruth likes this.
  6. Marilyn and Polly

Marilyn and Polly Well-Known Member

Feel the hugs, Ruth. So sorry for your losses. Hard.

@tiffmaxee is amazing. She makes all this really hard-for-me-to-figure-out stuff make sense. That's talent!

Good luck with the reduction.

Marilyn and Polly

7. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

((((Ruth)))) So sorry to hear about deaths in your family and your DMIL's Alzheimers. I hope that she will respond to treatment.

I know you don't want to mess up Tiger's progress, but it might not be a bad idea to drain the shed today. Think of it as a fur shot. When you reduce, you might try just shaving the dose, rather than the full .25 reduction. I do all of Rusty's increases and reductions one drop at a time. I do this because .25 of a unit has proven to be too much (for both reductions and increases).

Thanks for all your visits to Rusty's condo. Don't forget the full moon party tonight, Tiger!

Hugs, scritches,

Ella & Rist

8. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow on that 29. I would definitely reduce after that. Sorry about your losses and your DMIL. Sending prayers.

9. Linda and Scooter & Jack

Linda and Scooter & Jack Well-Known Member

Congrats on being a member of the all-night club!! That 29 is scarey and I have no dose advice since you have great guidance already!

I will include you all in my prayers.

10. mariko

mariko Well-Known Member

(((Ruth)))
    I am so sorry to hear about the losses in your family. And about your DMIL's Alzheimers.
    Sending hugs and prayers :bighug:

What a way to wake your momma up, Tiger!
    I hope Tiger will hold the reduction well.

I agree, where does the time go?????

11. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Ruth :):coffee:

I want to thank you for consistently visiting my Weekend condo. :) I am sorry about the deaths in the family, never easy, My MIL had Alzheimers too, such an ordeal and tragedy that can be. My best to your MIL. I hope she will respond to treatment. I can so remember my first days here on the Board... feeling much the same way you did a year ago. people here are so great. :)

I too would have skipped the shot this morning. that 29 and 28, way too low. Skipping will drain the shed some. I really don't think it will upset Tiger's progress. I believe most will tell you to reduce by.25, but I am with Ella. Mannie did much better with shaved reductions and increases, rather than the .25. Good luck with whatever you decide, but a reduction for sure!

Have a great evening! Enjoy this fabulous weather we are having!! :joyful:

12. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

I just wanted to send you a little moral support, Ruth. What a year! I hope the next one is happier for you and your family. I also notice you posting regularly to encourage people and think that's such a wonderful gift to people.

If Tiger were mine, I'd probably decrease to 5.25u. You've got 2 consecutive days of giving Karo before the 29 this morning - i think that's a pretty clear message that 5.5u is a little too large of a dose for her right now. If she doesn't continue in green once she's recovered from the skipped shot, then go back up.

13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

{{Ruth}} just adding my hugs for all that's been going on your life right now. :bighug: I appreciate you taking the time to visit in spite of what's happening in your family.

Good luck with the 5.25U dose. I'm also celebrating the perfect poo mentioned on the SS. I hope Tiger is enjoying her new nanner.

14. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

It's people like you that make this a great place Ruth :)

I would go the full .25 reduction since that 29 is very low and her dose is reasonably high, i.e. It's not a large reduction percentage wise - actually with a 29 I would do the full .25 regardless of her dose size anyway! She is having the best run of solid blues and greens she's ever had :cool::D I don't think skipping this morning will mess with her mojo too much - besides which what else could you do! Go Tiger, extra Scritches for you from Aunty Serryn :cat:

Thanks so much for the links - I've ordered Vyktor some Plaque Off, which was praised by the stomatitis forum, today. It's coming by express post so I should have it within two days. Hmmmmm we really need a fingers crossed type smiley...

15. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry for all the losses.... sounds like you're much in the same way as I've been this last year and a half.
    we got 3 nanners today.... and Shadow was after the pkg before I even knew what it was.
    Many hugs... many prayers...:bighug:

16. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

{{{Ruth}}}

I've been wondering why you were visiting condos but not posting your own. I'm so sorry for all that you and your family have been dealing with. Thank you for staying in touch and supporting all of us.

I'm not going to add to all the advice you've received here. That 29 was really [​IMG][​IMG] ! I'm glad Tiger came back up for you quickly. Good luck with the dosecrease, however much you decided to take. I'll be keeping you and your family in my prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

17. suki & crystal (GA)

suki & crystal (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear of your recent losses Ruth, always hard :bighug: Hope your MIL can get some treatment that improves her QOL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.