6/2 - 6/3. TiTi stabilized again green and blues. But so thin, maybe in pain.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kathy and TiTi, Jun 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...grainy-aluminum-hydroxide-in-her-food.196427/

Not only is she still so very bony, but I am beginning to suspect that she's in pain. She settles down very carefully, and now she's so thin, I can see that her front legs jut out oddly from her body. Maybe the acro has caused some deformity there, or maybe it's just that she's so thin.

I don't have a hopeful feeling about her expected survival. Her eating today has not been good. She seems to have good and not so good days for eating. Her sub-q needs have doubled, meaning , perhaps, that her thyroid is lowering, thus revealing more kidney damage than was shown on her last tests.

She still attempts kibble raids, and staunchly defends her territory against "intruder cats". She purrs when I groom her and pet her, and comes to me for loving and for fresh food, so there is that.

If she would only gain some weight. And it breaks my heart when I see how poor her eyesight is. When I'm lying in bed, she sometimes stares long at me, and it seems as if she's trying to see me more clearly. I really could not bear to have her die alone while I am in Colorado in training. I must leave on June 25th, which is far too close now. I don't know what to do.

JeffJ likes this.
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Arthritis is very common in acros. Can you get buprenorphine for her for the pain?

Sending vines.

Kathy and TiTi and JeffJ like this.
  3. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I agree with Wendy that some Bupe would help with pain management.

We have trouble with Leo eating too. I was just gone for 5 days, and he would not eat as well for Theresa. We find that many small meals that "appear fresh" seem the most appealing to Leo. And we never know how long our kittehs can live thru these issues. So we give him a few carb treats throughout the day.

Kathy and TiTi likes this.
  4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

5. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

6. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

love light and healing:bighug::bighug::bighug:

7. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

Sorry to read about your kitty. When my cat had cancer I tried CBD oil for pain & to get him to eat. Within 24 hrs he was eating again. He lived for another year & as long as I gave him 3 drops of CBD oil he continued to eat & didn' t appear to be in any pain.
    I used CW PAWS by the Stanley Bros. you can order it online. 2 - 3 drops in a teaspoon of organic baby food. I gave it to him in a feeding syringe.

Best of luck.

Stacy & Asia and Kathy and TiTi like this.
  8. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

How is she doing today? Many hugs :bighug::bighug:

9. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

appy stimulate?? mirtz helped my shop kitty when she became very thin.... it also seemed to make her happier (I guess being a anti depressant has advantages). The cypro didn't help her appetite at all but the mirtz worked fast. Prayers....

10. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

Vines for any pain and skinniness; purrs to amplify lovingness and food interest. :bighug:

11. Kathy and TiTi

I wish I could use mirt. TiTi's hyper thyroid, and that means that her system is running too fast, including her heart, so mirt would be dangerous.
    I'm a big fan of mirt!

JeffJ likes this.
  12. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

I second the trying to get a pain med like bupe. I also like JoyBee’s suggestion of CBD oil. I have found they both work phenomenally well together. Since the addition of CBD oil (actually we use the pill/powder form from canna companion), I have found I was able to decrease the amount of bupe needed to keep her comfortable with arthritis. I think CBD also can help with stimulating appetite. I really still hold on to the hope that once the thyroid meds have a chance to work, TiTi will be able to put some weight back on. Is there anything more calorie dense you could feed her? I wish dry food could be the answer since she’s so keen on it, but with kidney issues and her needing fluids, that’s just asking for trouble, diabetes aside. Even if some wet food is higher carb, I might consider that and increasing insulin around it just to get her eating and gaining a bit. How stressful that this is going on before you have to go away, I’m glad you still have a a few weeks and I sure hope you see some improvement before then so you have more peace of mind. Gluttonous calorie weight gaining and good appy vines for dear TiTi. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

13. LizzieInTexas

Got to be careful - TiTi has high phosphorus level. Going from memory I think it was 11.

Sending many hugs and vines :bighug::bighug:

Kathy and TiTi and Stacy & Asia like this.
  14. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Yes, of course it should be as low p as possible, often higher carb foods have carbs (rice, potato, grains) that are typically low p anyway. Most things that are not meat and dairy are on the lower p side of things.

Kathy and TiTi and LizzieInTexas like this.
  15. jayla-n-Drevon

I use canna pet--I have many clients who use it as well with good results ... Both Rico and Dre are noticeably more comfortable on it. :cat:

16. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

or CBD oil. Sending more vines for TiTi :bighug::bighug::bighug:.

No updates since 6/3, praying all is ok.

17. LizzieInTexas

Please check in. I am worried. :bighug::bighug:

18. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Sorry to here this and I hope you can find a solution :bighug::bighug::bighug: many vines your way

19. Kathy and TiTi

Thank you. It makes sense that CBD oil would stimulate the appetite. Didn't we used to call that phenomena, "getting the munchies" ?
    I'm still trying to see if it's possible to take TiTi by car to Denver. I see that if she even goes 18 hours without fluids, she gets seriously dehydrated. But when I keep her hydrated, she's a completely different cat. Active, all 5 Ps, making kibble raids., purring, eating, you name it. And I think she might be gaining just a bit of weight, but without a professional scale I can't be sure of this.

She's still very difficult to hydrate because she's so thin it's easy to accidently make the needle poke in and out of her skin. There's a real trick to get the needle in just right. I really don't know if my cat sitter can do this, even though she's a vet tech. And because of her schedule, she's told me that she might not be able to give TiTi a consistent insulin shot - like every 12 hours. I just got all my equipment from the Census and assuming I pass the training, I've got the job. I'm going to call them to find out what kind of compensation they can give me for the expense of driving to Denver rather than planning it. It's 800 miles each way with some expensive tolls, and an over night stop at a motel. My geriatric car can't make it, so I am looking at the cheapest possible rentals.

I think TiT may well be able to make strides and thrive, if I can just keep her with me.

Stacy & Asia and LizzieInTexas like this.
  20. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

Vines for munchies and logistics.

21. Kathy and TiTi

OH! I'm sorry!. I had no idea it was this long. I'll update her SS and send out a new condo. In short, (for longer read my response to Stacy just now) TiTi is stable, and when well hydrated, quite perky. She just might be gaining weight - backbone and hips seem less bony, but her rib cage remains very prominent. I might be engaged in wishful thinking.
    Since her Insulin needs continue to fall, my concerns about a possible cancer are renewed. I'm on a seesaw of emotions just now.

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  22. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I drove from Austin to Ft Collins (north of Denver) 2 years ago with Leo. He did not like being in the car.

There were only 2 significant tolls.
    1) north Austin tolls, which we never used to have, and we still should not have
    2) coming east to west into Denver

You can avoid the Denver tolls by coming in from the south on I25. That freeway is actually free I think.

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  23. Kathy and TiTi

Agreed about the N.Austin tolls.
    That's encouraging. Certain freeways I've taken can collect 100 bucks in tolls over a few hundred miles. But this is doable! Now for a cheap car rental! I wish Texas had "Rent a Wreck". Prices were phenomenally doable.

Bronx's dad (GA) and JeffJ like this.
  24. jayla-n-Drevon

Can she go with you?? I have been known to give fluids in a car:cat:. I know being thin it is more difficult ...

25. Kathy and TiTi

I don't yet know. I need to find out how much the census can reimburse me for car-travel. I think the plane might cost them less, although with 100-150 bucks for the shuttle to and from the airport, and paying for my parking at the airport, I'm hoping it might be enough to rent a car, pay for an overnight in a motel, and gas.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.