7/14 Frosty 6 Weeks on Vetoryl, down to 2.5u. AMPS 310, +2 361, +4 322, +6 215, +8 186, +10.5 599

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ana & Frosty (GA), Jul 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

Previous post.

Well, that's weird. Last night he was 148 at +5 on the same dose (2.5 u) and now he doesn't wanna come down. Not sure what this is about.

I'll check again tonight and do another curve tomorrow.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  2. Ana & Frosty (GA)

I was gone for 2 hours, and he opened the bread box and stole a bag of bread. I opened it this morning, and he must have remembered that there was bread there, and although I CLOSED IT, he was able to pry it open with his paw. He is getting into carbs every week at this point. I think we need to figure out where to put the dog, because he is NO LONGER ALLOWED in the kitchen at all. It's so frustrating! :( needless to say, last reading was 599. :mad:

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

And he was doing so well. :banghead::banghead: We had to keep carbs on lockdown. If it wasn't in the fridge, it was in the on counter storage unit (microwave).:rolleyes: Can you say kiddie locks?

Ana & Frosty (GA) likes this.
  4. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

What a stinker! What is it with kitties and contraband?! I hope he comes down for you quickly.

5. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

LOL. Our sugar cats will find carbs wherever they are hidden. Too bad Frosty got to such a high level.

We have kiddie locks on our cabinets. Our carb foods for the doglets are in locked plastic containers. Leo can't get to them, although I have seen him looking at the containers longingly.:eek:

Leo also has a sixth sense for knowing when I turn my back. He will push the doglets out of the way to eat their food. So all feeding sessions for any animal is now pretty much guarded.

6. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

It seems one slip up and they know! Hope he comes down for you soon.

7. Ana & Frosty (GA)

@Wendy&Neko @JeffJ our cabinets ARE locked. Bread box doesn’t lock though. It’s now our new medicine cabinet starting today. Boy will he be disappointed! :blackeye:o_O
    Luckily he’s already below 200 at +5 today, so hopefully 2.5 u is a good dose for him . I’m really hoping he will continu to come down on the dose.

I also was really hoping his behavior will improve on Vetoryl, but so far no improvement at all. His wound healing and fur growth and blood sugar control are all getting better, but he’s still crazy. If anything, he’s gotten worse about trying to bite me when I don’t let him climb into the fridge, or try to adjust his clothes. He’s really fresh and naughty lately :( makes me sad. He doesn’t cuddle with us at all, he just sits in the kitchen or the office where his bowl is, and waits for food. If we pass by, he meows loudly and begs. He only purrs when there’s food involved. Although he does let us pick him up, which my other cats don’t. They FREAK. So that’s one good part. I’m afraid his behavior is now ingrained in him, and isn’t all hormonal. Some of this is definitely learned. Which stinks.

He’s also having diarrhea now that he ate all that bread. And he doesn’t always use the litter box. :arghh: We are a little annoyed with him this past week. Oh well... You don’t always know what you’re gonna get when you rescue a homeless cat. :facepalm:

JeffJ likes this.
  8. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Cats are like having a permanent 2 year old. I think some of Frosty's condition is learned behavior. That takes time to un-learn.

If it is any consolation, Leo most sleeps in the kitchen now, and for the past 2 years. He has some arthritis. But he is highly food motivated. We make a concerted effort to visit him in the kitchen during non food times. I just fed everyone. Then 10 minutes later in the kitchen, I gave Leo some brushing and he was purring. If that is as good as it gets - I'll take it any day.

Maybe Frosty does not like the pajamas. If he heals up and his clothes can come off then he might get more friendly. Little Dude had clothes on - after his fight last year. He didn't like them at all.

9. Ana & Frosty (GA)

He just gets over stimulated easily. It’s weird bc my other cats LOVE full body pets and love to cuddle. I think he wasn’t loved enough as a kitten :(. I think he had a rly shitty life. I don’t like when him and I have “fights” - I try to take his sugar or fix his paw into the clothes and he starts biting. Then I say “no bite!” And shake my finger at him. He gets more agitated and puts his ears down and wags his tail. Ugh.

Permanent 2 year olds is right! The other morning he had a full on meltdown! He was 1/2 out of his onesie (front paws) with the back paws in and hanging off low, and he was screaming for food. Dan helped me lightly restrain him so I could put the front paws through the onesie legs and then we were gonna feed him. He FLIPPED! Started growling, trying to turn his head and bite, even hissed! We can’t restrain him with his scruff bc I’m afraid to cause skin tears, so we have to hold his neck and head still so he doesn’t bite, sometimes he manages to turn his head tho and get a finger or 2.

I was like, wow... this guy is really preparing me for toddler temper tentrums. I really think I found him for that reason, to prepare for parenthood haha. Hopefully I’m more patient when my kids tell me they hate me and don’t wanna put their clothes on :eek:

10. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Yes, it does sound like he is really challenging. But you are now giving him the best life he could have. Over time, maybe he will relax. If not then you could consider mild tranquilizers. It's hard with our kittehs, because they don't know we are trying to help them.

I flew back from NYC last night. A bratty, cruddy little 3 year old pitched a fit behind me from Charlotte, NC to Austin. OMG - I would much rather have cats!

11. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Yes. I have to remember to ask our internist about some kitty Xanax for him. At the very least for car rides to the vet! They are an hour long and Frosty goes absolutely nuts. :facepalm:

JeffJ likes this.
  12. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

Absolutely!! I always say "Who needs kids when you have cats?!" :facepalm::p

JeffJ and Ana & Frosty (GA) like this.
  13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Have you tried Feliway plug ins or Rescue Remedy for Frosty?

Looks like a nice day fill of blues. :cool:

14. Ana & Frosty (GA)

We have some the Comfort Zone plug-ins, and I also bought him the comfort-zone collar, and it did nothing. :( I think his condition is so severethat he needs real meds. My other cats in comparison to him are the most chill cats in the world! And I used to think my Bella was a screamer!) I think he has terrible anxiety, probably some form of kitty steroid-induced psychosis (it's a real thing with Cushing's disease in humans).

We did have a nice day today! I am curious to see how low he will go with a pre shot of 207 on 2.5 u. I'm gonna test at +3 before bed. :)

JeffJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.