8/13 China AMPS 85,+3 55,+8 67, PMPS 80,+2.5 58,+5 70 (Cosequin ? for civvie)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Chris & China (GA), Aug 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

8/11 condo

No news is good news when it comes to Miss China!! :D:D:D:D:D

I did a switch today....instead of taking DM's cat for shots, I took Cleo. She's been limping lately so I wanted to get her looked over.

Of course as soon as we were at the vet, she had no limp!! :banghead::banghead::banghead: but the vet thought considering her age, we might try treating her for arthritis and see if it helps.

She gave her 6 tabs of Onsior and suggested I start her on glucosamine/chondroitin. Does anybody have any recommendations? Are the capsules better or the chews? If you've tried the chews, did your cat like them?

Is one brand better than another??

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice surfing for China. I don't know anything about arthritis treatments. I hope you can find something that works for Cleo. Sending prayers.

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

With the civvie I used the Cosequin Sprinkle Caps - open capsule and mix in food. I seem to remember it was chicken and/or tuna flavoured.

What is the Onsior for? It's an NSAID, and only to be used for three days, typically post surgery. Even the manufacturer says not to use for longer. There have been no studies on long term use for older cats. I used to video my guys gaits to show the vet. Guaranteed they wouldn't perform at the vet.:rolleyes:

Keep on rockin' it China.

4. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

The LagoonMeisterin looks fabulous!
    Sorry I can't help with the arthritis meds. But just to note that friends of ours treated their arthritic cat for years with glucosamine (plain glucosamine, no condroitin or other stuff) and said that it really helped.

What did the vet say when you asked for a letter for Miss Kitty so she won't have to have those shots?

5. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Bubba was on Onsior I believe post dental for a few days. Other than that, I don't really know a lot about it.

Some one just recommended MSM to me for Forrest. I remember my Dad taking it for arthritic pain. I am going to look into it. It is something the body all ready manufactures. If I find some pet related info on it, I will share with you.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  6. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

Ive been using this for Gordy for a few weeks. He doesn't seem to notice something is added... which is nice.

7. Chris & China (GA)

Yeah, that's what I'm going to try to do......as I expected, as soon as we walked in the door, she limped into the kitchen and it was very obvious :banghead:

Pain and anti-inflammation....she said she could only have it for 6 days and would have to take a break from it.....it was that or Metacam.

Bupe's price has skyrocketed. They don't even have it there and would have to order it.

I didn't have access to the board to ask a bunch of questions about it until we got home ….I knew it had been used on some other cats here, but didn't know any more than that. Figured I could get it and then find out about it before giving it

8. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

For civvie Tripper I use cosequin. The dentist for Olive have me 1-TDC which is good for periodontal and joints. Someone mentioned it in another group and I didn't do it then but I a now. It's a cream like texture you open up and give directly on gums as Olive won't lick from finger. I put it on her toes and she licks it off. You start daily for 30 days then every other day.

9. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

LOL. That is great! Scoobs used to do that trick for us too. Two or three times we took him to the vet. He became instantly healed the moment he went into the carrier. Silly kittehs.

You just gave me an evil idea. You can take another cat instead of Miss Kitty to the vet. Have the vet give a vaccine, and write on the paperwork "Miss Kitty". Yeah, I'm a bad boy. But hey, it would work!

10. Chris & China (GA)

Unfortunately, I only have 2 females....China (who I don't want vaccinated) and Cleo (who was there today)

Maybe I'll grab the cat next door....LOL

Mandy & Rex (GA) and JeffJ like this.
  11. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Phoebe started on the cosequin, the sprinkle chicken flavor always ate without issue. Either her arthritis was overly bad or the stuff didnt do anything for her. The onisor we have used on very bad boughts. We use 3 days off 2 then on 3 days. It helped tremendously. We tried the adiquan shots , not much difference for the price. So bupe and gabapentin it is. Head bumps and scritches.

12. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

I have given many of my cats Cosequin. It takes a while to have any effect, if it's going to help. At least, that has been my experience. If I were you, I'd give the Onsior for three days, then skip a couple days, and if it's helping, give it again. Just MHO.

Sending vines for Cleo and atta girls for China!

13. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Rex took Onsior 1x/day for 6 days, I believe. It was when he jumped off the bed (my belief) and wouldn't come downstairs afterwards. He was limping. The vet thought he may have sprained his wrist. It really helped him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.