8/31 Figaro seems ok post-ER; AMPS 318 +3 278 PMBG 61, +0:45 56, +2 63, +2:30 97

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Figaro's Liz, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

ETA previous condo

Found that Figaro had bit open one of those do-not-eat packets from a bag of freeze dried chicken.. he pulled it out of the trash. Turns out it contains iron, which is toxic to cats when ingested at 0.2g. I don't know how much he actually ingested, so we are at the ER. He seemed okay but apparently symptoms of poisoning like this can take 4 hours to manifest.

I brought his meter and a can of regular food like a dope. No HC snacks or anything. He is in the back they said they will probably flush his system and maybe an IV, not sure for what. I don't know what that means for a diabetic. The poison control center recommended an xray to see if any iron is visible, it can cause serious digestive tract damage apparently.

I'm beside myself. Stupid stupid idiot for not taking that packet out of the house immediately.

I never wanted to bring him back here but it's the only 24 hour ER around. I felt like I didn't have a choice...

Silver lining is that he has been high (I gave a half dose because of a low PS yesterday) so the risk of him diving while with them is low-ish... I just keep saying, he is diabetic. He is diabetic. 2 1/4 units, lantus and they go "uh-huh" :[

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  2. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

Sorry all, I know it's quiet on the board tonight, but it gives me a little comfort to post anyway. :(

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

The IV fluids will help flush out his system....and as long as they know he's diabetic, they should be able to test his BG and if necessary, add glucose to the IV so you don't have to worry about not bring anything HC along with you.

I remember seeing another cat here that ate one of those silicone packets they use to keep things dry...he ended up being OK so we'll all say a prayer for Figaro

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  4. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

Thanks @Chris & China (GA) ! This one is an iron-based packet, I'm kind of shocked that they would use it in a bag of cat treats since the silicone ones and activated carbon ones are apparently not very toxic. :(

They are doing sub q fluids and are sending us home with a few short term meds to protect the GI tract... omeprazole, ondansetron, and I need to get milk of magnesia OTC somewhere. I've never pulled Figaro so this should be... interesting. I meant to get a good piller ICE but I hadn't gotten around to that yet unfortunately.

They said for a 15lb cat (he is ~14lb right now), 1/2 the packet would be serious, and I'm sure he didn't eat that much. So... we might be fine.

If he vomits or has diarrhea within 12-24 hours I'll have to bring him back in. Here's hoping this was an unnecessary ER visit.

5. Justin & Sebastian

Justin & Sebastian Well-Known Member

Here's hoping he's okay.

Figaro's Liz likes this.
  6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Figaro's Liz likes this.
  7. Zorro's mom

Zorro's mom Member

Thinking of you and Figaro, Liz :bighug:

Figaro's Liz likes this.
  8. Jerry dutchboy

Jerry dutchboy Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear this Liz. Hope little Figaro is doing well. :bighug:

Figaro's Liz likes this.
  9. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Oh Liz! I'm so sorry to hear about Fig and this issue! Poor fellow - and you too - both of you have had one helluva night. I sure hope he didn't eat much - I had no idea those packets would even be attractive to our kitties! Learn something every day.

I do hope everything will be okay from this point forward. Fig - please behave yourself, no more dumpster diving...

Take care of yourself today Liz - you've been through a lot. Sending healing vines to both of you.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Figaro's Liz likes this.
  10. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:Love,Light and Healing

Figaro's Liz likes this.
  11. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Healing vines straight to you Liz, and of course Figaro too:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Figaro's Liz likes this.
  12. Armish & Roo

Armish & Roo Member

Thinking of you and Fig, Liz! Sending healing vines and hoping that everything turns out okay :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Figaro's Liz likes this.
  13. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Poor little Fig and poor you!! A good thing you saw him with those packets .... At least he's at ER so they'll take good care of him! Keep posting news !
    Sending positive vines ! :bighug::bighug:

Figaro's Liz likes this.
  14. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

I never would have thought about a kitty eating one of those packets. I have thrown them in the trash many times. Sounds like you had a long night. I hope you and Fig are both sleeping good now and that Figaro is fine.

Figaro's Liz likes this.
  15. Penelope and Mačka

Penelope and Mačka Well-Known Member

Hi Liz, sending Figaro huge healing vines. How was the rest of the night? Keep us updated please :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Figaro's Liz likes this.
  16. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm hoping Figaro is doing well. I'd be wanting to send hate mail to the manufacturer of those treats.

17. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

What a scare. Hope Fig is doing well now. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Figaro's Liz likes this.
  18. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: I'm so sorry, Liz!

I wonder if you can contact the treat company and let them know what happened, even get the vet to contact them. If they're a good company, they might be able to pay for some of the ER bill.

19. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

Thank you everybody so much.

Figaro seems to be doing okay. He and I are both exhausted. Unfortunately I slept through my alarm and he got his insulin an hour late. I had to wake him up for that and for his +3 snack. But he is eating and walking around, no vomiting, took his meds reluctantly but dutifully. So far so good. As long as no GI distress presents over the next 8-20 hours we are in the clear.

I'm feeling lucky that this is a holiday weekend :confused: Labor of Love Day weekend for me...

20. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear you're both doing ok. Sending you strong healing vines that he'll be ok! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Figaro's Liz likes this.
  21. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

Oh and hopefully the vet stress BG spike eases...that is not made better by the late shot and other inconsistencies lately :( we will get back on track soon...

AMPS 330; +3 278

22. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

:)The whole Figaro is most important!! That little diabetes thing will get back on track;)
    Sending love and relaxation. You took care of your boy as soon as you knew something happened. I agree it's a real shame something toxic would be inside the treats. Doesn't sound very well thought out.
    Paws crossed all will be well now:bighug::cat::bighug:

23. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

What a scary thing you went through Liz! Paws are crossed for Fig, poor sweetie, I hope he's ok and you too. :bighug::bighug::bighug:
    What are they thinking putting toxic packets in cat treats? :eek::banghead::banghead:

Figaro's Liz likes this.
  24. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

:) very true, Jan :bighug:

25. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Makes me cry ya know?

26. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

I was not expecting a 61 at all. What the heck?
    Stalling is not ideal, we are already over an hour off schedule... but all these skips are really not going to get us anywhere.

Not sure what to do :(

27. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

I’d get a +1 & + 2. He can still be working off the depot.
    I guess he got over his vet stress. :smuggrin::rolleyes:

Figaro's Liz likes this.
  28. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

He was 58 after stalling 15 mins. I decided to skip, since I really can't push shot time forward any more.

Next, I need to decide what to do in the morning now... it seems like this dose may be too much, but things have been super wonky the last few days. I am considering reducing to 2 u even though it hasnt been earned technically. Hmm...

29. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

Ha! Seems so! Will definitely get a +1 but I probably won't wait that long actually..

Jill & Scooter likes this.
  30. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

Oh and I didn't say TY Jill for checking in! :)

Jill & Scooter likes this.
  31. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

At +0:45 he was at 56, so I encouraged him to finish his LC meal. I put a trace of karo on it mostly for my peace of mind. I am wondering if the antacid/laxative from the vet is a culprit in these low numbers.

At +1:20 he is 76. My guess is he will start zooming soon. Will get a +2.

I think I'm going to try 2 units in the morning and see what happens. I can increase later if need be.

Penelope and Mačka likes this.
  32. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Glad he is okay:bighug: hope the rest of your weekend is uneventful , calm and purry :cat:

Figaro's Liz likes this.
  33. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

Still not zooming. +2 was 63. Just giving LC.

Poor Figaro. He is clearly uncomfortable, I suspect it is the milk of magnesia the vet prescribed to defray any possible iron toxicity. :/ that was the last dose anyway... hopefully that is all it is and his discomfort passes soon.

ETA I told my mom about the milk of magnesia and she said she never gave it to me and my siblings because it always made her feel icky for an hour or so. Sure enough Fig perked up about an hour after too.

34. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

Okay +2:30 is 97. Pokey break for a bit.

35. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

What a time you have had!
    Sending many feel better and calming vines

Figaro's Liz likes this.
  36. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

37. Suzanne Burton

Suzanne Burton Well-Known Member

How is Figaro today?

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.