9/20 Harvey Update - A Step Backward

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey, Sep 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Yesterday

Steve called this morning. He said Harvey was eating well and doing okay. His potassium is still low, so they are planning to send him home with an oral supplement. He said the pill was pretty big and Harvey is not happy about getting it, so Dr. Lim wants to prescribe a liquid. Does anyone else give their FD kitty a liquid Potassium supplement? Does it have to be compounded so it doesn't contain sugar? I also asked about getting the pill compounded into a capsule. Steve is going to check with Dr. Lim about both those issues and let me know. They don't have the liquid there and I would have to get it from a pharmacy, so it seems a no-brainer to me to go to my compounding guy and get it without sugar.

I am sorry I haven't done much visiting lately. My heart has just been so sore and I can't seem to focus on much but Harvey. I am praying for all of you and your babies. I am going to try to check up on everybody more starting today.

Sending healing vines to all in need and hugs to all their beans. :bighug:

2. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I haven't seen the liquid but years ago my first kitty needed the pill and holy moly it was massive. I had to have my brother's ex, who was a veterinary nurse, give it to Mr Kitty. I'd like to think if you have it compounded, they could flavor it however you want and they could leave out the sugar.

I hope this means Harvey gets to come home soon...still sending tons of prayers!

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Tricia, the pills are big. I bought NOW potassium gluconate powder and it's tasteless. I mixed 1/8 t with a little baby food to which I added Max's Miralax and it brought him up. I haven't used it since I started fluids. Before I knew about it with Tiffany I was grinding tge pills and giving it the same way. I bought it from herb or Amazon. I can't remember.

https://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Potassium-Gluconate-1-pound/dp/B0015C2ZI2/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1474397321&sr=8-2&keywords=Now potassium gluconate

1/8t equals 2emq

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  4. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

no help on the potassium.....

i'll have to go back and read some history.....
    sounds like things are heading the wrong way.....:bighug::bighug::bighug:

5. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

I hope that you can find the liquid potassium!

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I wonder if you could use the powder and just put it into your fancy pill making machine?

I have read that it's important to give with food too since it can sometimes cause upset tummys

I'd definitely call your compounding pharmacy and see what they can do....they are absolute magicians with so many things!

Sounds like Harvey will be coming home soon!! YEAH!!

7. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

Well, don't worry about me and mine. Lots of folk here are helping us. I only want to know how you and Harvey are doing. Don't know a thing about liquid potassium, just know that any potassium dose must be carefully dosed, because of its profound influence on muscles, most especially the heart muscle. But I preach to the choir ;). You're one of the most careful people I know.

Prayers vines, purrs continue and will continue as long as needed:bighug::bighug::bighug:
    healing vines.jpg

8. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

We give potassium to our civie Tillie. We tried the NOW potassium gluconage powder mixed in food and she wouldn't eat it. So we got those huge pills and I pilled her twice a day for a few weeks, then she decided the powder in the food was ok after all. Now she gets 1/4 t mixed in with her food BID. It's very individual and we've had her blood tested several times while we adjusted the amount to make sure she gets enough and not too much. Does Harvey get prednisolone? Our vet thought Tillie was low because she's on pred for IBD. Big hugs to you, Tricia. I am so glad that Harvey is improving. :)
    Liz

9. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Yes she could. It's just 1/8 t and if he needs two doses then probably two gel caps. It doesn't contain sugar or any additives.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  10. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

I used the pills and yes, they are large. I was actually giving it though a feeding tube. The pill is very easy to crush. I put it in a small zip loc bag and then used the back of a spoon to crush it. Maybe you could put the crushed up pill into a gel capsule? I don't really know. I was mixing the crushed up pill in water and using a syringe to put it in the feeding tube.

11. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Thank you all for your input. I just spoke to Steve and right now he's crushing the pills and making a slurry to give by syringe. I told him I have no problem crushing them and putting them in gelcaps - I've had a lot of practice with that with Minka! I think we'll go with one of those two methods for now, and then I don't have to worry about sugar in the liquid. I have always had better luck with capsules than liquids - I usually end up wearing some of the liquid before it's all said and done.:rolleyes:

@Anne & Zener GA Liz, yes he's on Pred. He's been on it for about 18 months and was on a higher dose the first six months, and his Potassium was okay during that time. I'm sure, with everything else going on, the Pred could still be playing a role now, though. Everything was out of whack!

Anne & Zener GA likes this.
  12. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope the potassium supplement helps. Don't worry about visiting other condos. Focus on Harvey. Everyone understands. Sending prayers. :bighug:

13. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

The liquid potassium available at the pharms taste awful and would likely make him froth and hate it. Most of the potassium pills use chloride as the base and yes, they're BIG. There IS a gelcap version of some but right now I'm only finding those in the 10Meq dose....not sure what your required dose would be - I would think considerably less than that.

HUGS AND HUGS...prayers continue too...

14. Madrona and Leda (GA)

Madrona and Leda (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending vines, and don't worry about visiting everyone--you need to concentrate on getting your sweet sugarkitty home and well :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

15. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

It looks like you got a lot of good responses. I sure hope this means Harvey will be coming home soon.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

16. Marilyn and Polly

Marilyn and Polly Well-Known Member

Soon, Harvey. Tons of vines you'll be home soon! Hugs Tricia...how hard this must be. But Dr. Steve's got your little boy well under his care. Soon.

Marilyn and Polly

17. Rachel & Chyna (GA)

Rachel & Chyna (GA) Well-Known Member

Yay for Harvey eating, and feeling better! I'm so glad there are so many people who can let you know what they've done for their kitties and what worked. This board is amazing. I hope Harvey can come home with you soon:bighug::bighug::bighug:

18. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hey Tricia,
    I hope you find a solution to the potassium supplement. Maybe you can grind up a pill and put it in his food? (Maybe a banana?:))
    Anyway, we are so glad Harvey is feeling better. Keep on eatin' yer fuds, sweet boy! Come home soon.

Hugs and scritches,

Ella & Rusty

19. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Tricia, I don't know how deficient Harvey's potassium is or if he could use this, but here is a link to the potassium supplement Squallie's vet put him on, almost a year ago, now. He gets it twice a day, mixed in his food, but you could probably put it in a capsule, if necessary.

http://www.vetoquinolusa.com/content/renal-k#tab_section_0

20. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Once again, this place is just full of valuable knowledge and experience, not to mention wonderful people! Thank you all for your info and your support.

We got to spend about an hour with Harvey this evening, and I came home feeling pretty depressed. He has taken a step backward. They had been decreasing the potassium in his fluids and starting him on the oral med, and his number went down again. :( He was less alert and much more wobbly when we were there. Steve was anxious to see if we noticed it, and we did. He said they are working to get the right balance. On the up side, he brought a couple of the Potassium Gluconate tablets and crushed one so we could put it in his food. Harvey ate all the food we offered - half a can - over the course of the time we were there. It required some bowl holding and coaxing, but he did eat it all. :) I really don't think he'll be as cooperative when he's feeling better, so I'm more inclined to go the gelcap route.

Dr. Lim e-mailed me a prescription for the liquid, and I'm going to take it to the compounding pharmacy tomorrow and see if he can make it up without sugar. If not, I'm going to ask her for the tablets.

I am feeling very disheartened. It will be a week tomorrow since he was hospitalized. I never thought he'd be there this long, and we still don't have even a tentative release date. I am starting to wonder if I'm being selfish to put him through all this. No one has used, or even hinted at, the "E" word, but the longer this goes on the more I'm questioning myself about how fair this is to him. I haven't said anything to anyone about these thoughts, but if things don't get better soon I may have to discuss it with Mark and with Team Harvey. I don't feel I can be totally objective here. He's my last surviving baby and I can't bear the thought of letting him go, but.....

Continued vines and prayers would be gratefully accepted. :bighug:

Julia Rae likes this.
  21. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Oh Tricia, I'm so sorry to hear Harvey's taken a step backward. Hopefully they will get all his needs balanced soon and he will continue to improve! I know his illness and hospitalization must be terribly hard on you, but don't lose faith. We are all here for you, praying and pulling for Harvey to get well. I hope you can draw strength from us when you need it. :bighug::bighug::bighug:
    Sending more prayers and vines for Harvey, and (((hugs))) for you! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

22. Asrael

Asrael Well-Known Member

SO much love, light and prayers sent to Harvey and you and Mark.. Vines and more vines. Holding healing light for Harvey- and for you all :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

23. sarahtee

sarahtee Member

Tricia, I've been checking in on Harvey since he was hospitalized, and hoping he'd be home again with you soon...

I just wanted to say I think considering the future and how he's dealing with all this makes you a very caring bean. You want the best for him, and it's really stressful to see him in discomfort (((hugs)))

24. Rachel & Chyna (GA)

Rachel & Chyna (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh (((Tricia))) I'm so sorry that you even have to think this way. I can only imagine how you feel and I don't know what to say other than you are a wonderful bean who wants the best for her boy and I know how stressful this must be but we are all here for you:bighug:. It may take a bit of time to find the right amount needed to balance everything out to make him feel good. He was a good boy to eat his fuds! I'm pulling and praying for Harvey to get better and come home soon. Hugs!:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

25. Kako & Tux

Kako & Tux Well-Known Member

I'm praying again for Harvey, you, and DH.
    And here are hugs for you. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

26. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

No words seem even remotely adequate right now..so I will send hugs and vines trusting in that you know the sentiment behind them is profound:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

27. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

{{{{Tricia}}}} I am so sorry the visit made you feel like a step backwards. I am hoping like anything that getting the potassium just right is also a dance, two steps forward, one back, then forward again. Please give Harvey a big kiss on the top of his head when you go to see him again. Tell him all his FDMB aunties and uncles are pulling for him and want him to get better for you. Vines and healing light, as ever, on their way.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

28. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

(((((Tricia)))) so much love coming your way. It just sucks to have your little one so sick. Sending healing light to our little buddy and thinking only the best for him.

Hang in there, Harvey. Take the horse pills and you'll feel better! :bighug:

[​IMG]

Shoeskitty-GA likes this.
  29. Kathy and TiTi

Prayers continue.
    It occurs to me that a week isn't very long, when you're sick.
    The only question is whether or not you can get Harvey back to a quality of life that makes you and him happy.
    I'm hoping that you can. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Gussie's mom (GA) likes this.
  30. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

(((((Tricia)))))
    I'm so sorry that theres been a setback with Harvey's treatment.
    I am praying that it is a minor one and that next time you visit he will be improving.
    Give harvey a scritches from me and a head bump from cousin George.
    Sending a truckload of vines for all of you:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Kathy and TiTi likes this.
  31. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear that Harvey took a step back, but there is one thing I do know...Potassium regulation is a lot like insulin regulation....it's a very intricate dance....too much causes problems just like too little does.

He's got a great team of doctors that really care about him so although we all know he'd rather be home, I'm sure he's also getting lots of love and attention there.

Continuing to send vines, say prayers and sending all the healing energy we can to our dear little Harvey....and lots of virtual hugs to you and Mark

I know this has to be hard on him too :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

32. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Thank you so much for the support. I've tried to stay positive through all this, but tonight really got to me for some reason.

I do have to give kudos to Dr. Lim, though. Although we disagree about how to deal with his FD, she won points from me when she told me about the way Harvey eats and how they rearrange his food the way he likes it several times during each feeding - it was clear she'd been there and participated, and that made me like her a lot more.

Steve was interested in the spreadsheet, so I'm going to print it out and take it to show him tomorrow. There should be one in Harvey's file, but he said he hadn't seen it, and it might be over in Oncology. Gonna sleep in my patience pants and wake up tomorrow feeling more optimistic - I hope. ;)

Squalliesmom likes this.
  33. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

Totally understandable about temporarily hitting a wall, you have to be beyond spent..:bighug:Hugs and hoping those patience pants aren't so pinchy that you don't get some rest
    Healing vines, light, prayers and everything else I can think of, I add them as they come to me..thinking I've got some from all faiths and beliefs headed your way but I'm sure there are more to be found....will send em when I think of them:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:
    So glad you have such an amazing team caring for Harvey while he's away from home..such a godsend:bighug:

34. Suzi_S

Suzi_S Well-Known Member

Tricia...... :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:
    Sending many hugs to you all and piling on more vines for Harvey!! I talk about Harvey so much I have a friend at work who asks me each time she sees me how he is.

35. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Wish there was something else to do /say but hang in there Tricia. You are the best bean to Harvey and sending continued vines and prayers for him. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

36. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

37. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Tricia, continued prayers, vines, and good thoughts for Harvey and you and Mark!

38. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You might want to ask the compounding pharmacy if the liquid for kitties tastes as bad as what humans take. The stuff is vile. It can also upset a person's stomach.

I hope this is just a small glitch and Harvey rallies. Do they have any idea why his potassium isn't stabilizing?

39. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Sending lots of hugs your way!:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

40. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

(((((Tricia))))) I am so sorry Harvey has had a step backwards. He is in the best possible place where they are monitoring it and getting on top of it immediately. And they are all so caring and have him thoroughly spoilt by the sound of it!!
    It is completely understandable you are feeling flat about it all.........you must be exhausted.
    Stress and worry will make anyone completely wrung out.
    I hope you can manage to get a good sleep.
    Sending many healing vines to Harvey.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

41. suki & crystal (GA)

suki & crystal (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Tricia))) I am so sorry you are feeling disheartened with all of Harvey's problems, but he has a super team doing their very best for him and I'm sure it's just a temporary glitch. Sending mega vines to dear Harvey to turn the corner, and keeping you and Mark in my prayers as you have to wait it out, hang in there :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

42. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Hopefully this is just part of the "process" of finding the right dose of oral potassium for Harvey. Continued prayers from us!!

43. Josie & Ripley (GA)

Josie & Ripley (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending vines, love, and support to you and your HarveyBoy. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

44. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

More hugs and thoughts and prayers and hugs and hugs and prayers and hugs.....

45. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending vines, and everything but the kitchen sink to Harvey and the beans. I'm sure the step back is temporary. An adjustment is always expected as you change from one method of giving a dose to another.

Once Harvey is off the IV, the amount of fluid that Harvey is no longer getting should be factored in to the oral dosage. Just a thought.

46. Sweet Spot

Sweet Spot Member

Tricia - your point I quoted above touched me because I am sure most of us pet lovers have had those thoughts many, many times with our past beloved pets. Whenever I was in a similar position, I so needed inspiration and clarity to get through and reached out (just like you are doing here). I am not familiar with all of Harvey's medical history - so please, in advance, excuse my ignorance............I am just putting some bullet point thoughts down for you and hope they help in some way.

• My favorite vet in the world, when my elderly yellow lab, Clementine, was having bouts of illness (and I was feeling guilty because she was ill so often...I questioned euthanasia) told me that we have a bond, a special communication with our pets.......it is a "knowing" when it is time. In my opinion, Harvey is still fighting and you need your energy (physical and mental) to be in the present moment (and to pour that healing energy all over him, too!). Basically, if it is merely a question in your mind, it isn't time. Of course that can change, but stay in the present the best you can. Every sweet pet I had to put to sleep, I made sure I had this knowing first.
    • Of course Harvey needs to be safe medically, but I have never seen so much healing power take place (humans and pets) as when they finally come home. The stress and fear in an unfamiliar surrounding can hinder recovery. If there is any way possible medically, I would definitely consider insisting on a trial at home to see if that is the piece missing in Harvey's treatment plan (comfort of home for ultimate healing). I am a firm believer that mental is just as important as physical when true healing is to take place....and a hospital environment can take a toll mentally on people as well as animals. Even if those giving current medical care are amazing, loving people....there is no place like home.

Wishing Harvey nothing but healing..........wishing you nothing but peace and strength through this difficult time.

Many hugs and love..........Robin

47. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Lots vines and hugs from us, too.
    Liz

48. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

49. Kathy and TiTi

You must be exhausted physically and emotionally, and that takes a heavy toll. I don't see how you can think very clearly at this point. To repeat, a week is not a very long time, not when you've been really sick. Plus, I didn't know how difficult it is to balance potassium, and that seems to be the trickiest part just now.

As to the muscular weakness - that's the usual symptom of too little potassium, so it seems to me that was only a measurement of the potassium itself, not an indicator of a true back step. What is most encouraging to me is that Harvey is eating well. He needs to get his strength back. Hmmmm- I'm wondering if the better he eats, the more difficult balancing the potassium can become. Give Harvey a gentle kiss from me, and imagine a big hug around you-also from me.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:I'm praying that Harvey continues to eat well, and that you get some good solid sleep.
    Prayers, purrs, and millions of hugs.:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

50. Tiina and Hugo

Tiina and Hugo Well-Known Member

I'm sorry that there's been a step backwards, Tricia. Don't give up. Last year when my cat Elvis was really sick with hemolytic anemia they gave him zero hope of survival, but the most miraculous thing happened and he survived and is still with me. Every day he got a little stronger, first barely squeezing my finger with his paw and then lifting his head, taking wobbly steps and after two weeks he was so much better and started to eat on his own. Elvis is also on Pred and has been ever since, and has cataracts like your Harvey.

We all send you lots of strength and even more for little Harvey. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

51. granadilla

granadilla Well-Known Member

Oh no! I haven't been on the board for a while and missed that Harvey had to go stay at the vet. Poor Harvey, poor you. Hang in there. You'll know when / if it's time to make the hard decision. Harvey may let you know he's not ready to go yet. Sending vines and hugs. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

52. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Tricia, sending you lots more healing vines that Harvey's potassium levels with balance out and he will be home ASAP. I liked Robin's suggestion of a trail at home. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

53. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

(((Tricia))) I'm hoping Harvey feels better soon. I know that you have top-notch veterinarians working on his case, so I hesitate to even toss this out, because clearly they know what they are doing, but your reporting that they are having trouble raising his potassium level just reminds me so much of an old-timer member (Michelle and Doodle) who had a similar issue. Doodle ended up being diagnosed with hyperaldosteronism (also known as Conn's syndrome). I don't want to second guess Harvey's team, but I just wanted to leave that here in case you were interested. Perhaps it has even come up and already been dismissed. Wishing you and Harvey all the best.

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  54. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Tricia
    I'm sending tons of love your way.
    It is difficult to stay positive all the time and I completely understand how your feeling.
    You are being surrounded with so much love and light :bighug:

55. Tara & Ivana (GA)

Tara & Ivana (GA) Well-Known Member

Scritches for Harvey and hugs for you - I cannot even imagine how you're feeling, paws crossed for a positive outcome very soon :bighug::bighug::bighug:

56. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Dear (((Tricia & Mark))), We are keeping our thoughts positive and sending much love, light, beautiful vines, and prayers for brave Harvey. It is normal to be depressed in the face of a setback, but never forget that setbacks can turn around--sometimes on a dime. We are thinking of you tonight and hoping that tomorrow will bring a really good recovery for your boy.

Hugs and scritches,

Ella & Rusty

57. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

adding more kisses to the top of his head.....
    ( course I'd kiss him on the nose myself )
    it's a fine balance between our own wishes and making sure that they aren't suffering....
    prayers and hugs....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.