? Arya AMPS 128, 20 mins 132, shot reduced dose 3.5 units, +1 172, +2 311, +5.5 500, PMPS 390

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by KatieBDZ, Apr 7, 2020.

1. KatieBDZ

KatieBDZ Member

Previous post: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/3-27-arya-amps-277-2-225-6-103.227590/#post-2549215

Hi all - I haven't posted in a while but spreadsheet is updated. I linked previous post above. I'm currently stalling because Arya's AMPS was 128 which is the lowest it's ever been for her in a while - she's currently getting 4 units. I do think she ate less overnight than usual which might be impacting that number. Do I skip her shot, give her a reduced dose, or give her regular dose and monitor? Also do I decrease the insulin or wait? Thanks!
    -Katie

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Are you stalling and not feeding and testing again in 20 mins?

3. KatieBDZ

KatieBDZ Member

Yes I have not fed her and it's almost been 20 minutes now - I'll post her number shortly! I wasn't fully sure on how long you waited to retest.

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

How is Arya’s appetite?
    Are you able to monitor the whole cycle?
    Do you have some high carb food and honey/ karo at home in case you need it?

5. KatieBDZ

KatieBDZ Member

Ok 20 mins later BG is 132 - her appetite is good and I will basically be able to monitor the whole cycle - I have to run out for 30 minutes to buy them more food (clerk gave me the wrong kind yesterday) but her appetite is good - I do have high carb food and honey available.

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

You definitely don’t want to skip a dose with DKA in the recent past.
    132 (alphatrak) is a lot lower than you have shot before.
    Your options are to give the full dose or give a reduced dose. You would still have to monitor if you gave the reduced dose because of the depot.
    I hesitate to recommend the full dose because I can’t stay with you. I am just about to go to sleep.
    How do you feel about those two options.?

7. KatieBDZ

KatieBDZ Member

I think Id feel comfortable doing the reduced dose - do you think 3.5 is ok? And should I change her regular dose going forward or wait?

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Ok. Give 3.5 units. Make sure she eats well before the shot. Get a +1 and a +2 to start with so you can see where she is going. And give a small snack when you test. Not too much because we don’t want to fill her up. You will have to continue testing after that but the +1 and +2 are important when you shoot low for the first few times.

Post all your BGs as you take them. You can always give some higher carb food early in the cycle if Arya stays low.

KatieBDZ likes this.
  9. KatieBDZ

KatieBDZ Member

Ok thank you for all of your help! Do I test every 2 hours after the +2 as long as it's not too low?

10. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    Nan & Amber (GA) and KatieBDZ like this.
  11. Bron and Sheba (GA)

See what the +2 is first. The onset will probably be around the +2 to +3 so I would get a +3 unless she bounces up really high which she could do with the lower Preshot.
    Then if you are unsure when to test next, post and ask for help. If the numbers are not rising you will have to test more often than if they are rising.

Also to answer your earlier question.... you will go back to 4 units the next dose unless Arya earns a reduction.
    Are you still feeding dry food? If so you would be doing the SLGS method and would reduce if she drops under 90.
    You would also give some higher carb food to bring her up over 90 if she drops lower.

KatieBDZ likes this.
  12. KatieBDZ

KatieBDZ Member

Ok she ate well and I gave her the 3.5 units (it's about an hour past her regular shot time). Will get the +1 and the +2 and then see if she needs the +3. Yes still feeding the dry food for now due to her stomach issues. Thank you again!

13. Bron and Sheba (GA)

You will need to give the next dose 3/4 hour late seeing you gave this one late. Then move back to your usual time by 15 mins each cycle.
    I would get a +3 anyway to see what happens with the onset.
    Well done shooting the 132.
    You will need to put 128 @+12; 132@+12.30 (Amps) and stack them in the AMPS column of the SS. Then if you could keep the SS up to date as you test during the cycle it will help others helping you and put the BGs also in the subject line so we can see at a glance how you are going.
    If you are at all concerned about the numbers post and ask for help.
    I hope you and Ayra have a good day :)

KatieBDZ likes this.
  14. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

I'll be in and out all day due to work obligations, but will check in as often as possible :).

KatieBDZ likes this.
  15. Bron and Sheba (GA)

16. KatieBDZ

KatieBDZ Member

Thank you! +1 was 174 and she ate a little bit more food that I offered her

17. KatieBDZ

KatieBDZ Member

+2 was 311 so much higher..seems like she is bouncing?

18. Nan & Amber (GA)

Most likely!

That means you can relax for a while. I'd test at least once more this cycle, just in case she pulls a fast one, but odds are, she'll be up in the clouds from here. Those lovely blue numbers this morning were not at all what her body was expecting!

KatieBDZ likes this.
  19. KatieBDZ

KatieBDZ Member

Ok thank you! Not what I was expecting either but hoping to get her back there safely :)

Nan & Amber (GA) likes this.
  20. KatieBDZ

KatieBDZ Member

21. Nan & Amber (GA)

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I'm sorry, but I can't in good conscience "like" your last post-- what a bounce!!! :eek:

22. Nan & Amber (GA)

Don't worry, though-- what goes up, must come down. It's going to be a while before she gets used to those lower numbers, but she will get there!

KatieBDZ likes this.
  23. KatieBDZ

KatieBDZ Member

Ugh I know!! Now I'm worried she's too high :( she's acting ok though just more sleepy than she has been

Nan & Amber (GA) likes this.
  24. Nan & Amber (GA)

Aw, she'll feel better eventually... it can't feel good to be rubber-banding back and forth between these numbers in such a short time period. She'll feel better once that settles down for a while, even if she settles down in higher numbers than you'd like. Just as long as you're keeping an eye on her appetite and monitoring regularly for ketones.

KatieBDZ likes this.
  25. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Oh my goodness Ayra... come down off that trampoline! Katie she is just not used to normal numbers/lower numbers because she has been in high numbers for a while now. This is very normal behaviour for a newly diagnosed FD kitty. She needs to get used to lower numbers again... It will just take time.

KatieBDZ likes this.
  26. KatieBDZ

KatieBDZ Member

Thank you for all your help/advice! Definitely a crazy day for her hoping she levels out and we get good numbers again soon

27. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Yikes on that bounce! Makes me wonder where she got to last night. Gentle reminder on those before bed tests. ;)

KatieBDZ likes this.