Blood Sugar too low HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nicole, Feb 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole

Nicole New Member

Hey my cat BG is 33 and he is disoriented and my vet is closed. I can't afford to take him to ER. My vet said something about giving him molasses. I gave him some powdered sugar and water, how long do I wait before I recheck?

2. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

10 mins

3. phlika29

If you have honey rub on gums now

4. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Recheck in 15 minutes. Have any Karo syrup by chance? How much powdered sugar did you use in how much water? Did you syringe it or did he lick it up?

5. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Give him a little syrup, honey, sugar/water mix, karo or whatever you have and test 15 minutes after that. How long since you last gave insulin? What type of insulin?

Squeaky and KT (GA) likes this.
  7. phlika29

MODERATE HYPOGLYCEMIA
    Disorientation
    Trouble with vision... bumps into furniture
    Poor coordination, such as staggering, walking in circles or acting drunk
    Changes in head or neck movements
    Restlessness
    Urgent meowing
    Behavioral changes, such as aggressiveness

SEVERE HYPOGLYCEMIA
    Convulsions or seizures
    Unconsciousness

LOW NUMBERS – MODERATE SYMPTOMS
    Give a tablespoon of syrup, a teaspoon of liquid glucose, a tablespoon of honey or a tablespoon of sugar syrup followed by food and continue doing so until you see the blood glucose numbers rise to an acceptable level and all symptoms disappear. The syrup, honey, or glucose can be rubbed against the inside of the cat’s cheeks or on the gums for quick absorption. You can also mix the syrup with wet food or pour over dry if the cat will eat it. Continue to give syrup and food as needed and observe your cat for signs of recurring hypoglycemia. Keep in mind that giving syrup (Karo, etc.) or honey is not enough because the effects wear off quickly. You need to follow with food.
    IF IN ANY DOUBT, TELEPHONE YOUR VETERINARIAN.

LOW NUMBERS – SEVERE SYMPTOMS
    Rub syrup, honey, or glucose on the gums and cheeks if your cat will allow it. Another option for administering syrup, diluted liquid glucose, honey or sugar syrup to a cat who is seizuring is to fill a needleless syringe with the mixture and insert via the rectum.
    NEVER TRY TO SQUIRT SYRUP, HONEY, OR GLUCOSE TO A CAT WHO IS SEIZURING AS THE CAT COULD CHOKE ON IT! RUSH TO EMERGENCY.

AGAIN! ANYTIME YOU CAT IS SEIZURING OR LIMP, RUB KARO, GLUCOSE OR HONEY ONLY ON GUMS OR ADMINISTER RECTALLY AND GET TO EMERGENCY OR YOUR NEAREST CLINIC IMMEDIATELY!!!

Remember that syrup or any other sugared syrup/preparation will spike the blood glucose ONLY for a short period of time, so food is really important with mild and moderate symptoms. Dry food (high carbohydrates) will keep the blood glucose numbers elevated longer, so it’s a better food to give during a hypoglycemic episode.

8. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hey Nicole,
    Molasses, Karo Syrup, Maple Syrup, Honey, any of these would work. Rub it on his gums. Your goal is to raise his blood glucose and keep it above 50. What insulin are you using and what dose are you giving? The detailed instructions above will help. Keep testing every 15 minutes and every half hour after getting a bg reading of 50 or higher. You want to make sure that he stays above 50.

Ella & Rusty

9. phlika29

Nicole I hope you are seeing these replies. Please keep refreshing your screen and I know you have your hands full at the moment but keep us updated and we can advise.

Do you have a new blood test result?

10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I found an old post - she's using Vetsulin.

11. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Okey dokey.
    If Vetsulin/Caninsulin then it's quite possible that the peak of the cycle (lowest BG) may be between +4.5 to +5 (unless caregiver's data has shown otherwise..?)

Nicole, how many hours ago did you give the shot?
    Can you confirm that you are using Vetsulin?
    What dose?
    Do you have a new BG reading for us?

Eliz

12. Elizabeth and Bertie

Do be aware that the sugar/glucose/karo works fast but also wears off quite fast.
    Do you have a higher carb wet food that you could give a spoonful of also? Food takes longer to raise the BG but has a longer lasting effect.

Nicole, which meter are you using? (human meter or alphatrak?)

13. phlika29

I don't think Nicole has been back online since she posted initially (if you look at her profile). I am wondering if that means she decided to go to the emergency vet after all.

If my stress/adrenalin levels ever return to normal after reading her post I will be going to bed soon. I only know the basics anyway and I am sure my American/Canadian cousins will keep an eye out for Nicole.

14. Elizabeth and Bertie

I'm off to bed soon too, but will hang around a little while longer to see if Nicole comes back online.
    Nighty night, Sarah. Hope you sleep well.

15. Elizabeth and Bertie

Nicole, I don't know that you'll read this. (Maybe you have gone to the ER vet..?)
    But you need to keep the blood glucose up until you are sure your kitty is past the peak of the insulin cycle.
    Ideally, you want to see three rising numbers in succession (and know that you're at, or past, the peak of the cycle so the BG can't drop again.)

Please update us when you can.
    If you're in trouble and need help you can attract more attention to your post by editing your subject line to include the 911 icon.

Hoping all is well

Eliz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.