Bubba 5/8 AMPS 271 , +2.5 211 , +6.5 169, PM=200

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bobbie And Bubba, May 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Yesterday

Good Morning L & L ~

Thanks for all the good wishes yesterday, we felt the love :kiss:

His numbers are not budging at all; It's like I am shooting water. The pen I am using was opened 3/30 and expiration date is 11 /18. But, I am wondering about it now......Can pain cause his numbers to not come down at all??? I increased to 1 unit this morning. I am going to pick up some R today and tonight give him some. Can I give it each cycle that I can monitor for 4-5 hours?

He is eating for me without the mirtz if I give him baby food ( I add the foodfurlife supplements) and I picked up some Fancy Feast and gave some last night and again this morning. He ate with gusto.

I spoke with the vet office again last night and as of now he is scheduled for 5/15 and the vet tech will be talking to the owner of the practice today and see if he or another associate will do Bubba either tomorrow or the next day. Fingers and Paws crossed.

Also, I am remembering something the vet said yesterday. He remarked that Bubba had a split 1st heart beat. When I ask him if it was something to worry about he said no not unless some other traits and symptoms were present and I don't remember what they were as he actually looked it up and rattled off a lot of info. About a year ago another vet in the practice said he had a murmur but then when she listened again she said she didn't hear that time and it was probably as reaction to stress. Does this sound like something I should worry about.

Vines to all Kitties and Beans in need.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  2. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

:bighug:

I hope you can get him in sooner rather than later.

3. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending vines and :bighug:. Hope they can see him soon.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  4. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Absoultely pain and/or infection or any other medical issue can cause the numbers to go crazy. Ahem, have you seen Asia’s SS recently? :rolleyes: I feel like my insulin isn’t working sometimes too, but we both know that isn’t the problem in either case. I would increase when it’s safe to do so, or use R if needed since he has a history with ketones. Basically, try to keep his numbers down, even if they aren’t all green and beautiful, until you can get the dental done. Does he have pain meds? I would make sure you have enough of that at least until he gets the dental. Are they giving antibiotics in advance of the dental? I really, really hope they can fit him in sooner so this won’t be an issue for much longer. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

I have no idea about the heart stuff. Maybe tag Karen and Wendy for that.

Sending tons of vines for a sooner surgery appointment and Bubba to be out of pain until he can get the dental. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I think pain can keep their numbers from coming down. I don't know anything about heart issues. I hope you can get him in quickly. Sending prayers.

6. Bobbie And Bubba

Thanks Stacy, I had anxiety in the middle of the night thinking the insulin went south on me. I just can't understand that it wouldn't pull down the numbers a little bit.

They gave me bup but only 6 syringes which will not make it too next Tuesday if they can't get me in sooner. I will get some R today at Walmart and start him on some tonight. And hopefully 1.o will help some and as you said, I will just keep raising the dose according to TR.

They did not give AB. This vet ( the owner of the practice ) doesn't think there is a reason for it right now. But when he had his last absorption lesion he was giving one along with the bup until they could do the dental. At least I think that's the way it was, I will check my records.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  7. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

I don't think you need to worry about the insulin. I agree with stacy the pain can well be responsible for what you are seeing, I would also wonder if there is any underlying infection in the mouth contributing to those numbers.
    I would ask again about the AB, to use prophylactic ally prior to the dental especially as the dental is not being done straight away.

Sending many vines for you and Bubba.

George also has a heart murmur, we knew when we adopted him, no vet has heard it since, but last week when we went to the vet with his teeth, Dr M said he was tachycardic and he could definitely hear the murmur. He said that, in George's case, (his teeth are bad) his murmur(which he graded as worse)/tachycardia could be a result of the bad mouth infection he has.

8. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Bobbie, prayers and vines that you can get Bubba's dental tomorrow! Pain will definitely elevate blood glucose and keep it high! I would think that some heart conditions would too, but I don't have any knowledge or experience with that. Big hugs coming your way in cyber space!

9. Stacy & Asia

I would put in a call and see if you can get more bupe if they can’t fit you in. I feel like an antibiotics drug pusher recently, but I would plead a case for antibiotics in advance of the dental. You can play the diabetic/ketone card and it’s just not worth the risk if it can be helped. The benefit, even in absence of confirmed infection outweighs the risk of uneeded antibiotics IMO. I think they went from giving antibiotics for anything and everything to going too far the other direction and not using common sense to give them where there’s a good case for them without confirmed bacteria. :rolleyes: Sigh.

10. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Hope bubba gets to feeling better soon B597B8FD-6916-4BB4-86F0-AD9CD0421B3A.jpeg

11. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

They must not have been too worried about the heart murmur, or they would request more tests before surgery. Murphy had to have a cardiac ultrasound before they would do a dental after they heard a murmur. I think that is standard practice. Poor Bubba. Does this explain his behavior after he came in from the outside the other day?

12. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Vines to Bubba!! YES - pain, infections and stress all cause numbers to go up, which is why we all need to be aware of many things our kitties are experiencing. Even meds like AB's cause a spike in numbers, however we need the meds to treat the issues - catch 22 in many cases. Hopefully the tests at the Vet will provide you with some answers............paws crossed!

13. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Bobbie I am so sorry to hear Bubba has not been well.
    When Sheba had pain her BSLs were always elevated.
    I would definitely push for antibiotics pre op and also some more pain meds. How would they like to have a bad tooth ache and not be given pain relief!
    Can't help with the heart problem sorry.
    Sending a plane load of healing Aussie vines to dear Bubba. And hugs to you:bighug:

14. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Bubba, I hope you feel better!!
    [​IMG]

15. Gill & George

Interesting thing I've read recently, with teeth infections it wont often show up on bloodwork and kitty won't necessarily present with a temperature. I'll try find the reference, it might have been in Spanish....

HWright and Stacy & Asia like this.
  16. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Prayers that dental opening for Bubba comes in next few days :bighug: And yes, I’d pull the diabetes card to get him seen ASAP . My vet starts a round of ABs 3-4 days before a dental as a safeguard so it’s not out of the ordinary . Hugs and prayers to you and sweet Bubba, that this will be taken care of soon .:bighug:

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  17. Stacy & Asia

Oh I believe it, that is also the case with kidney infections and sometimes bladder infections (especially with CKD cats that have very dilute urine). There’s that whole common sense bit. Like with any medication you weigh the pros and cons, they all have side effects, but if the benefit outweighs the risk, you usually go for it. Somehow antibiotics recently got largely excluded from that in favor of a proven confirmation of bacteria. I really don’t understand why.

18. Carol & Murphy (GA)

the growing threat of widespread antibiotic resistance is now looming large in decision trees and risks/benefit analyses.

19. HWright

HWright Well-Known Member

Oh my, oh my, Bobbie. A lot going on, all unsettling. Vines for Bubba being bumped up for dental surgery this week. The sooner the better.

Yes, I agree and as much as I’m in the minimize AB realm, there are times when it’s necessary. Question then being which is the right one for Bubba?

Idk about cardiac other than Bo’s anomolies with the grade 3/4 heart murmur that he came to us with along with multiple other illnesses. A year or so later, it was undetectable. But it would resurface during bouts of illness and wane when he recovered.

Would b-complex (oral or the, alas, stinging injectable) and/or b12 injections (they don’t sting) help? Is his hydration ok?

Sending heaps of vines❤️

Gill & George likes this.
  20. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending vines for Bubba. Hope you can get in sooner.

21. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Agreeing with the others on pain raising numbers. I had experience with that and post dental pain as well as arthritis.

I also had heart experience, but I followed the vets suggestion when we needed to follow up and do more investigation. There are certain sounds they listen for, or changes in sounds. Plus they look at background of the cat. With Neko, when her murmur first appeared, vetty considered that she was acromegalic and with Maine Coon mix in there, thought it was a good idea to echo. Turned out the first echo was just a baseline - I was good with that. When the heart sounds changed, the heart had changed. Lack of appy was also a symptom.

If you start R again today (good tool to have), remember than Bubba's Lantus patterns have changed since you last used R. You might have to run a few experiments before fully stepping in to using it. Be cautious of overlapping nadirs, which have now changed on L. The changing of Bubba's L nadirs may give you different choices when in the cycle to give R now. Start with a small dose of R. Don't increase the cycle of a Lantus increase. Good that you increased this morning. When shooting R if you can monitor that cycle, remember that it can impact the following cycle so consider that timing too.

Big vines on their way for Bubba. :bighug:

22. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:love light and healing

23. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Bubba, feel better real soon.

Bobbie, regarding the heart issues, the echo will let you know something. I kept asking and asking with Smokey because of his breathing sounds and everyone said it's nothing. Rarely was any murmur or altered beat heard. I think twice it was mentioned possible murmur heard. It was only when the ultrasound for pancreatitis was the heart found to be enlarged and well we know where it went from there.

With Olive as soon as I heard her breathing the same way, I pushed for her 1st visit to be moved up especially since the abdomen was so hard and distended. Vet wasn't on board with us to be done so early, wanted to wait until she was regulated. Possibly having part main coon and Persian I insisted on the cardiopet pro bnp test, which came back negative. But IM picked up the irregular heartbeat and said it was one that would come and go so picking it up would be hit and miss. It just happens to have been audible at the time her us was done.

I never heard of a split heartbeat so not sure what that could mean. I wouldn't think a murmur could cause a spike in glucose but pain will. Easier said than done, focus on the pain for now, that is something you know you can help. The other you don't have any answers to yet, there isn't anything you can do right now. Take care of his pain for now. Stay strong.

24. HWright

Is split heartbeat aka skip set heart beat or something like that?

25. Bobbie And Bubba

I think something spooked him when he was outside and it was very hot that day, 85 degrees. It was confusing that the two events, outside trauma and numbers rising coincided.

26. Bobbie And Bubba

He just called it a split 1str heart beat. I will try and get more info but, he is not concerned with it. And I just found out that the vet practice had a cancellation and they are doing him tomorrow! YIPEE! Thank you Universe!!! :):joyful:

27. Wendy&Neko

Woohoo!:woot:

28. Bobbie And Bubba

I might hold off on the R now since I just learned they are getting Bubba into their schedule tomorrow! His vet yesterday said, that I could give 1/2 of dose of insulin tomorrow. I will play that by ear according to his number tomorrow AM. Whew, I am so relieved. And of course the stars would align for us since I picked up Novolin R and have it in the refrigerator. :rolleyes:

HWright and Gill & George like this.
  29. Wendy&Neko

Yup, it's that threat of R in the fridge again. I see it took down his numbers too.

30. Stacy & Asia

The best news!!! Yay!!! So happy for you both. Hang in there, Bubba, you’ll feel better very soon! :cat:

Bobbie And Bubba and HWright like this.
  31. Stacy & Asia

It’s okay, if you didn’t go buy it, the cancellation wouldn’t have happened. :joyful:

32. Gill & George

Great News/The R threat worked.:joyful::joyful::joyful:
    Lots of toothy vines, will be thinking of you both:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

33. HWright

Woo hoo. And the Tooth Fairy has been alerted that Bubba will have a toofy for her tomorrow night:bighug:

34. Bobbie And Bubba

Exactly. And the last FS I did I was wishing I still had some in the refrigerator. For 24 bucks, it sure is a nice insurance plan. :p

35. Shoeskitty-GA

Yippee!!!!

36. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Happy to hear that Bubba will be having his dental tomorrow! Sending vines!

37. Beth 73

Yes :woot: Yes :woot: Yes :woot: Vines and prayers succeed once again !!!!

38. Bobbie And Bubba

He would not eat at all for his PMPS meal. I tried, baby food, nope, fancy feast chick, nope, poached chicken in broth, nope. I shot his dose anyway and gave him a mirtz and the bup and I will offer his little buffet in a bit and hope that he EATS! He is miserable. Drool pus and not grooming and his tongue sticking out. Thank God they moved him up as I could not deal with this for another week.

How long does it take mirtz to kick in???

39. Wendy&Neko

Don't love that PMPS! :eek:

Not sure on mirtz.

40. LizzieInTexas

Ummm. PMPS # in title? 2200? :eek::eek::eek: :smuggrin:

Lol. So, so happy there was a cancellation :bighug::bighug:

Poor Bubba, hope you feel much better by tomorrow evening :cat:

41. Bobbie And Bubba

HA, I'll fix it. Do you know how long Mirtz takes to kick in?

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  42. LizzieInTexas

With Gizmo 30-60 minutes. May take his brain a bit to catch up. It is a strange drug in kitties. Are you giving any nausea meds?

43. Bobbie And Bubba

He just ate!! YEAH and it was at the 45 minute mark. No nausea meds at this time.

44. LizzieInTexas

Give him something he absolutely loves and warm it a bit. Sometimes Gizmo needs a jump start to get going on it.

45. LizzieInTexas

Yay!

46. Bobbie And Bubba

I forgot to cut it into 1/16ths since this was a 15 mg pill. He is crying for more food :eek: This could be a long night. :stop:

47. LizzieInTexas

What dose did you give?

48. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

:bighug:

49. Bobbie And Bubba

The pills were 15 mg and cut into 1/8s I think it was you that said you give 1/8 of a 7.5 mg pill. It is what it is. If he continues to cry for food , I will take his 2 mini meals and make them into 4 so he is eating more frequently prior to the 12 midnight cut off.

50. HWright

Meowzzzzzz!

51. LizzieInTexas

Yeah, I have given 1/2 of 7.5mg pill - he will be ok. If he is anything like Gizmo he will get very vocal and very loving and purry. And sometimes a bit obnoxious.

52. LizzieInTexas

When I was on Remeron (Mirtz is the generic) for depression all I wanted was to eat and sleep. Sleep for 14 hours and get up and eat 1/2 gallon if ice cream :p (not quite that bad but almost).

53. Bobbie And Bubba

What flavor? LOL. The bup sedates him up so maybe the mirtz will keep him a bit more active as all he does is sleeps.

I did not realize the mirtz was a human drug.

54. LizzieInTexas

Pretty powerful one. When I figured out that was what it was, I was like, duh, no wonder they will eat on it. Lol

55. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Dental vines. :bighug:

56. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Wonderful news on the cancellation. Sending excellent dental vines for tomorrow. You've got this, Bubba!

:bighug::bighug::bighug: for you, Bobbie.

57. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Good luck tomorrow!

58. LizzieInTexas

https://www.easyauscultation.com/cases?coursecaseorder=2&courseid=23

I have no idea if it is the same for cats but I would assume so.

59. Shoeskitty-GA

Vines for a good evening for Bubba!

60. Bobbie And Bubba

:kiss:

61. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

Great news!! Mega dental vines. :bighug:

62. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

30 minutes, maybe more if Bubba's full of food.

63. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

So glad your appointment is soon. Purrs for your Pirate kitty.

64. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

GREAT news! Vines to you and Bubba :bighug:

65. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

Good luck tomorrow Bubba!!

66. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending dental vines to Bubba and hugs for you.:bighug:

67. Stacy & Asia

Piling on more dental vines for Bubba! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

68. Beth 73

My heart hurts for you and Bubba :bighug: Sending prayers for successful , easy dental tomorrow . What an awesome blessing that he got in :bighug::):bighug::):bighug:

69. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Dental vines for Bubba.

70. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Good luck tomorrow B&B!!! Poor big little guy

71. Gill & George

Hey Bobbie, one thing that seems to be working for BFG at the moment, is spoon feeding(antijinx) He's in pain with his mouth, and sniffs at the bowl when I put it down and just looks at me, he's hungry, and not nauseous, I've been able to get him started by spoon feeding him, and once he gets going I lure him closer to the bowl and then he just gets on with it.

Thinking of you and BOB, today hope all goes well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.