Bubba 8.13.17 Losing Remission? Start insulin or wait?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bobbie And Bubba, Aug 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Today was the first day I tested Bubba since he had the dental cleaning. The morning of the cleaning he was 117. At the vets before the procedure, he tested 280 there and the vet wasn't concerned as he was obviously stressed out. When I brought him home that night, we had out of town company until this morning and I didn't bother to test him as I knew he'd be higher from company stress and a 7 year old running around.

The company left 4 hours ago, and I just now tested him and he is 277. My heart sank. Could the surgery stress and company stress be all this is and perhaps another day of our house being quiet he could come down on his own? Or should I start him back on insulin?

ETA: the dental was the morning of 8/10th.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    Reason for edit: ETA
    Alicia & Maggie (GA) likes this.
  2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Nooooooo Bubba!!!!

Did you re-test, just in case it was a bad strip? That number seems really high. But if he is truly that high right now, I'd give him a little more time-- he really has had a stressful few days, four hours of peace and quiet probably isn't enough time to calm things down. He might need a day or two to convince himself that things really are back to normal, and he doesn't have to be on high alert for the next upheaval.

Crossing fingers that this is just temporary...

3. PlumsMom

PlumsMom Member

Come on down, Bubba, you can do it.

For what it's worth, Plum's bg popped up for a few days after his dental. Sending relaxing calm vines for Bubba and you.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  4. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope he just needs a few days to settle back in. :bighug:

5. Bobbie And Bubba

Hi Nan, yes, I retested and got the same number. I did just do a ketone test on him as well ( negative( as surgery can help them into ketones.

I am inclined to think the same, and give him another day before I get anymore upset.

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  6. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

No, Bubba! Hopefully he just needs a few days of "normal" to get back on track. :bighug:

7. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh no! I hope it's just stress. I would try testing a couple of hours after feeding and see if his numbers come down. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

8. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Bobbie, take a couple days and then re-assess. When my kids and grandchildren would stay here, Alex would always run a higher... a lot higher.

Is he eating well and acting normally?

Beth 73 and Beenie (GA) like this.
  9. Bobbie And Bubba

Hi Jill! Thanks so much for weighing in. Yes, he is eating normally and acting just fine.

It was terrible timing for my niece and family to come a few hours after he came home from the dental visit. Not only was there three extra bodies in the house but, my nephew was tiling my master bathroom and power tools were running and the house all torn up.

I am so hoping that is all that it is and he needs time to just calm it down. I am subbing in my friend's endodontic office on Wed and Thursday and wouldn't want to start him back before then anyway as I wouldn't be able to test those two days.

Deep breath.......

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  10. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Bobbie, hang in there :bighug:.....give sweet Bubba a few more days and as Carla suggested test him 3 hours after eating . That's a lot of activity going on right after his dental ( especially the power tools :() but we have to have a life that includes such things ( Elmo came thru 2 solid days of a dozen roofers banging on our roof ...I held my breath and prayed over him non stop) . Praying return -to-greens prayers over Bubba and peace to your heart :bighug::bighug::bighug:

11. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

12. Bobbie And Bubba

Yeah, the saw that cut the tiles was very loud and was outside in Bubba's outside domain. I am sure it unnerved him. Thanks for the "green " prayers, always appreciated! :bighug:

13. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Oh, Bobbie! :bighug::bighug::bighug:
    I agree with Nan and Jill to give him some more peace and quiet time. I hope so much it i temporary!
    Common Bubba, back to the falls!

14. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh no Bobbie - just happened to see this - fingers crossed he'll be back to normal in a few days

15. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

May the green be with you.JPG
    sending green vibes...

Jan Radar (GA), Sarah Mc, MJW and 3 others like this.
  16. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug:Think 50-85 Bubba. Hope it's just stress.

17. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Bubba, Bubba, do you know how to meditate? Maybe yoga? You will relax faster. Even though there was a lot of noise, your bathroom looks great.

18. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

I have seen several people say their cat ran higher for a few days after a dental. Add to that the company and work being done, I think he needs a few days to reset. Then I would do as Carla suggested - test a normal AM time and again three hours after eating. If it comes down, I'd give it another day or two, depending on the numbers you get. Keep us posted.

All paws here are crossed that he gets himself back to normal.

Bubba: Your outside privileges are on the line! Think green!

19. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Hang in there Bobbie! I agree with Jill and Nan and Tanya. Give him a chance to settle back into normalcy. And sending hugs for you to try not to worry if at all possible!:bighug::bighug::bighug:

20. Bobbie And Bubba

I'm trying not to stress yet. ( of course the initial shock of seeing a number that high gave me heart palpitations. For real. :nailbiting:

21. Bobbie And Bubba

I so hope this is the case. After the dental, the vet said, he'll go home and probably sleep the rest of the day. He did not. Didn't even shut his eyes for about 24 hours, I kid you not! He stayed by the door to go outside or he laid across the cat buffet wanting to eat. It just seems this anesthesia experience was very odd and different for him.

At this point, I am not even going to retest him until Thursday night until after I am done with my sub job because I won't be able to test him all day Wednesday or Thursday and wouldn't give insulin anyway those two days and I will just be upset if he doesn't come down and I need my wits about me working again in my field after 3 1/4 years in retirement. :rolleyes:

22. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

As a precaution, continue testing for ketones. Yell if you see even a trace amount.

23. Bobbie And Bubba

Good idea. I will do that.

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  24. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Oh, Bobbie :bighug::bighug:

Bubba, what are ya doin to your mama bean? No need to try and set any remission records.

I hope and pray it is just a blip and his numbers come back down.

25. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Bubbs you just need to relax after all the excitement right buddy? Hang in there Bobbie:bighug::bighug::bighug:

26. Bobbie And Bubba

Me too. :blackeye:

27. Bobbie And Bubba

Thx and I hope it's a blip too Lizzie. :cat:

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  28. Bobbie And Bubba

Thx Paula, yes it does looks good and we are getting there in the process. Floor and shower done! Now DH needs to paint the walls, set the toilet, and the shower and tub hardware, order the granite for the vanity and order the mirror wall and vanity scones. Sigh. It's been a long process that stood at a standstill for 2 years. How can Bubba rain on my parade???

29. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

He won't, Bobbie

30. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Come on Bubba; I know you can do it! Surprise your bean tomorrow with a lovely green! :D:D:D:D

31. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Sounds like too much going on in Bubba's world, hopefully the higher BG # was all stress related :bighug:

32. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Oooooom, time for a little destressing.
    [​IMG]

I remember a cat on an OTJ trial that went red from a car trip, then green the next day. You can do it Bubba.

33. Bobbie And Bubba

Thx Wendy, I so hope that this is just a major dose of stress..........Momma needs some yoga...........

34. Olive & Paula

I know the feeling just getting started with mine. I have the floor picked out. I'm going with quartz vanity top. I don't want any maintenance. Went to cabinet maker today. They will email me with options for custom vanity . Waiting for Bath fitters to call and come out, this is what is holding us up. I called again this morning, I will give a few more days if they don't come this week than its subway tiles. Taking tub out and making shower only. Want separate hot and cold handles. Also want the ceiling in the shower done, that's why bath fitters, they have 1 piece walls. I really don't want grout in wall corners Still have to get mirror, light bar, ceiling fan, shower faucets, towel bars. We are taking space from vanity length (currently 52") and space from back of current linen closet (currently 2.5 ft deep) and putting in built in open shelves. I can't wait for hubby to do it anymore, it's been 10 yrs already. He is retiring December 1st. I want to make sure we get more money back in the bank by then.

35. elizabeth and gus

elizabeth and gus Well-Known Member

Bobbie crossing fingers for Sweet Bubba to show some cooperation.

36. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Come on Bubba! ! Oommmmmmmmmm...breathe in..breathe out Bobbie.

37. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Bobbie, I'm so sorry to hear that Bubba is giving you some icky numbers. I so hope he settles down after a couple of days in a quiet house!

You said that Bubba didn't sleep after his dental. Sam had that problem too. Did Bubba get a shot of buprenorphine by any chance?

38. Megan and Boots (GA)

Megan and Boots (GA) Member

C'mon, Bubba... don't freak out mamabean! Bring it on down!

Honestly, just reading about a dental and out of town guests and renovation work has me feeling stressed out, so I agree with the overall sentiment - give it a few days, and try not to get too worried. Maybe once things settle back to the normal routine, he'll come back down. :bighug:

39. Glennie

Glennie Member

Thinking of you with paws and fingers crossed! Hugs to you!:bighug:

40. Marvin's Mom - Nat

Marvin's Mom - Nat Well-Known Member

41. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Bobbie. Uncle had higher numbers too after his dental. Sorry you both had so much going on right after his appt.
    sending more green Bubba's way :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

42. Bobbie And Bubba

I was trying to wrack my brain to remember who else that just happened too and as I was awakening this AM it came to me that it was Sam. I do not know about the buprenorphine but, will ask when the vet calls me back today. Bubba didn't have any extractions this time, just a cleaning so I don't think that it would be given but I don't really know. Is that what jived up Sam for the 24 hours?

I wasn't going to test him again until Thursday night after my sub job but, since I was testing him for ketones I decided to get both meters ready. He had only come down 17 points from yesterday ( he was 260) and I was so hoping for more but, at least he isn't climbing higher. sigh. Hopeful.

43. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Teresa & Buddy had it happen recently too. I'm not positive if it was something else about the surgery/anesthesia, or if it was the bupe shot, but the bupe is my best guess right now. And Buddy didn't have any anesthesia, he just had the bupe shot.

44. Olive & Paula

Besides the dental and the noise of construction, is there a possibility he is getting contraband on his ventures outside?

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  45. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

I too wondered if there was a mouse involved. :cat:

46. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope it is just the stress of the last few days sending up the numbers.
    Sending a plane load of green vines to Bubba.:D:D:D
    :bighug:

47. Bobbie And Bubba

I guess that is always a possibility.

48. Olive & Paula

A cat high carb mousey!!!

49. Glennie

Glennie Member

50. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Bubba, please relax and bring your numbers down!!!!

Sending lots of green vines to Bubba!

51. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

*sending good juju* :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Come on, Bub, dont wanna lose those outdoor privileges again, do ya?

52. Kako & Tux

Kako & Tux Well-Known Member

Hi! I'd wait and see a couple days also.
    Tux showed higher numbers a few times. I checked ketones (fine) then brushed and massaged him.
    Every time his BG came down.
    Deep breath, Bobbie! :bighug:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  53. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

I just saw this today. Darn. Come one Bubba!
    Did they give him an antibiotic with the dental work? Could he have an infection from the cleaning?

54. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Come on Bubba, you can do it!!! Sending lots of Canadian BG-lowering vines! :D:D:D

55. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Punkin developed infections after dentals - you said Bubba didn't have any teeth removed, so I don't know if that would be a risk for him or not, but I'd want the vet to look to just see if anything is going on post-dental.

I hope he comes down quickly. If he doesn't, if he were mine, I'd get going on the insulin before his body gets used to being high.

56. Bobbie And Bubba

I was thinking the same thing about having the vet do a look see. He just had a cleaning and the gingivitis was mild prior to the cleaning.

If he hasn't come down by Friday morning, I will start him back on insulin. I am working today and tomorrow on a temp job and wouldn't be able to monitor . His vet said give it 3 -5 days from when my company left and the house got quiet but I think Friday morning is long enough.

57. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed for you and Bubba, Bobbie! :bighug::bighug:

58. SMM

SMM Member

59. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

C'mon, Bubba, you gotz to stop eatin' doze hi-carbs mousiez! Green iz more your color, anywayz.

Hugs, Bobbie, sending prayers that he comes back down by Friday. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

60. Glennie

Glennie Member

Thinking of you and Bubba!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.