Cat not eating for 24 hrs, ADVICE PLEASE?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Calicos are Best (GA), Nov 11, 2019.

1. Calicos are Best (GA)

Calicos are Best (GA) Member

Looking for any advice on my cat Lily please...

I recently put some Revolution flea medicine on my cat Lily at 2AM in the morning on 11/9/19. Not sure if she licked some or if she is having something else going on. Lily has had a history of ketoacidosis & pancreatitis. Last incidents were in January 2019 & October of 2018 (last year).

On 11/10/19 @ 2 AM
    24 hrs after applying the flea medicine Lily puked her food up from earlier.

On 11/10/19 @ 6:15 AM

Lily puked, Dark gray color? Not sure if this was Bile?

AM snacks tried to feed Lily...

at 7:25 AM
    w/ kitten fancy feast, did 1/2 her normal meal of tuna & chicken mix with some pumpkin, she would not eat it. (I have read pumpkin was good for digestion and is easy on the stomach) Lily has eaten it mixed with food in the past, but she was not going for it today.

8:56 AM tried to give Lily a little bit of KFF tuna & chicken mixed w/ water and no pumpkin. She ate a very small amount.

10:39 AM
    Lily puked again, normal food puke.

6:40 PM boiled chicken breast for Lily. Tried to feed her a couple pinches of shredded chicken and she ate and held it down.

7:04 PM gave Lily more shredded chicken w/ her insulin.

Checked on her at 9:09 PM and she had puked again. Normal food puke. Bad smell.

***My vet is not opened on Sundays, as most vets are not. The dreaded animal hospital who charges too much money was opened today. I called them and asked if they could possibly sell me a bag of subcutaneous fluids and they they refused to without seeing Lily. I told them I have a history on file and I am not a new patient. I already spent thousands of dollars with them in October of 2018. They said no vet would sell me a bag of fluids without seeing Lily. They said it was $125 for an office visit and no testing. I insisted I was trying to be proactive and if they could just help me as I don't want my Lily to get dehydrated, but they would not. ***

I tried to boil chicken for Lily tonight in hopes that she could hold that down. She wasn't able to and is still appearing to be hungry. 24 hrs has gone by without anything staying down. She has been peeing, but no poop as there has been no food sticking. I have work at 8am tomorrow morning. I am going to have to call in and see if I can do a half day or take the whole day to care for Lily.

Is there any advice anyone can suggest?

I take extensive notes and my spreadsheet is filled with information also if this helps. I am going to try to see my vet tomorrow and see if they can help without me having to go to the animal hospital. I just started a new job in September and I have not been able to check Lily's numbers during the day like I used to be able to.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Have you tested for ketones lately? Do you have any all meat baby food? Can you syringe feed her?

I am glad you are planning to take her to the vet.

For dosing, I presume you are doing SLGS again?

3. Calicos are Best (GA)

Wendyyyyyyy!!!! Thank you for answering me so late in the night! Yes I am doing SLGS again...have to update my signature...haven't been on in a while. I tested Lily for ketones yesterday morning. She hasn't been sitting like a meatloaf and doesn't look like she is dying like she usually does with pancreatitis. I am praying she does not need to be hospitalized.

I just tested her again now for ketones and the strip is negative. Her blood sugar is now 59. Also just checked.

The foods I have on hand are:

Kitten Fancy Feast
    Glycobalance
    Gravy Lovers (various flavors)
    Authority - Sensitive Support Chicken & Turkey Recipe
    Weruva - Chicken soup w/ pumpkin
    Royal Canin - Recovery RS
    Wellness - Turkey & Salmon Entree
    Pro Plan Verterinary Diets - Critical Nurtrition

4. Calicos are Best (GA)

I can try to syringe feed her. Which food do you think would be best to try to syringe feed Lily with? She does seem hungry as she is meowing. I just worry she'll also puke this up. She has puked 4 times in the past 24 hrs.

She puked at 2:16 AM, 6:15 AM, 10:39 AM, & 9:09 PM or earlier (didn't see her do this one) found it at 9:09 PM.

5. Calicos are Best (GA)

I just re-read your message. I don't have all meat baby food, but I can go to the store to get some now!

6. Calicos are Best (GA)

Just gave Lily 1/2 teaspoon of turkey baby food, watered down with 36 ml of water. (filled the syringe 12 times) She is very hungry so I didn't have to force her. She drank it out of a bowl. I will let that settle and maybe try again in a little bit. Her blood glucose is 77 and was on it's way back up from 59 an hour ago. My fingers are crossed she doesn't puke again.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I would keep trying with small amounts to see if she can keep it down.

Would you be able to take down the 911 now please?

If she keeps vomiting you may need to get some cerenia tablets or ondansetron rom the vet.

8. Calicos are Best (GA)

Thanks Bron and Sheba! How long should I wait between feeding Lily? Should I do 1 hr increments?

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I think it is a bit of trial and error.
    It's good that she is hungry.
    I think I would wait maybe a couple of hours.
    I know it would be tempting to feed her more often but if she can keep it down that is the man thing.

10. Calicos are Best (GA)

Thank you so much for responding! I was just getting ready to give her more. I will wait another hour before giving it to her.

11. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Maybe if she keeps the next lot down, you could shorten the time between the feeds.
    It's awful when they are sick and you don't know why.

12. Calicos are Best (GA)

Good idea. I just started a new job in September and I am not really sure what to do. I am a temporary employee hoping to get hired permanently. I haven't earned any days off yet until I become permanent. It's 4:49 AM here now and I have to be to work at 8 AM. I can either call in the whole day or try to work half of the day. Maybe go to work and leave early? OR go to work late. I guess it depends when my vet can see me.

13. Calicos are Best (GA)

OR I can ask my family to feed her liquids all day while at work and get a later appointment when I get out? I am just worried if she will get worse. If she stays better I might be ok to work the full day. I wish I could just take her with me.

14. Bron and Sheba (GA)

That’s a tough call.
    If she’s keeping down the food and family can feed her all day you might be able to get a later apt but if you don’t think she improving I would try and get an earlier apt.
    She needs to be keeping down some food at least with the liquids. It’s not safe for cats to go much more than 24 hours without food.

15. Calicos are Best (GA)

I know I am worried about Lily getting worse. I am so surprised at how well she is acting for not having any nutrition all day. She puked all the solids I fed her today. Her behavior and the ketone test strips are seeming to show this may not be pancreatitis. She still is hungry and interested in food. I'm also concerned about the insulin. She is on .5 units, but I may have to change it to .25 units to be safe if I go to work all day. I hope she gets up to the higher 100s or 200s before it's insulin time. I am going to try to start getting ready for work and think some more about what to do...

16. Bron and Sheba (GA)

The ketones don’t have anything to do with pancreatitis. Ketones can lead to DKA.
    The signature says you are following SLGS but looking at the SS you don't appear to be following it.
    You are jumping up and down with the dose and not holding it for a week.

17. Calicos are Best (GA)

Right, I was told that ketones do have to do with ketoacidosis/DKA like you said, but it has gone hand in hand with pancreatitis for Lily. When Lily had the ketones in her blood in the past, they took ultrasounds that showed her pancreas was inflamed also. They tested her and showed she had bladder infections too. I just group them all together for Lily from past experiences I have had with her and hospitalizations.

This is true I have been having a difficult time with following the SLGS method. I might need some refreshing. I don't always know what to do, but I try my best. I don't feel comfortable holding the dose for a week. Especially when I wake up in the morning and Lily's blood glucose reads 78 or 63. I can't skip the shot as she could develop ketones. I have to go to work all day and can't monitor her. I can't delay the shots either as I am the only one who can give her shots, I don't have anyone else in my family who is comfortable doing them. I got used to doing the TR method...and may have gotten a little sloppy as I am struggling to stabilize Lily as always.

18. Bron and Sheba (GA)

If you are doing SLGS you reduce the dose by 0.25 units, if you go under 90.
    So because she dropped to 59 tonight, you will reduce the dose to 0.25 units tomorrow.
    Also if you get a low preshot, do you stall, don't feed and test again 20 minutes later to see if the numbers are going up?
    Why don't you get Lily over this current sickness then start posting here and let us help you get Lily more regulated.

I do understand how hard it can be if you are the only one who can do everything.
    You have obviously looked after her very well.
    Please let us know how you get on with Lily at the vet.

19. Calicos are Best (GA)

Thank you for that refresher @Bron and Sheba (GA) !!!! :cat: I am going to give Lily the .25 insulin and have to hurry and get out the door for work. Will update later after the vet tonight. Thank you for your help tonight and this morning!!!

20. Bron and Sheba (GA)

You are very welcome.
    Make sure someone feeds her during the day for you.
    I may not be on the board for a day or two but will look in when I return.
    Good luck at the vet.

21. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

How did it go at the vet's with Lily? I hope she is keeping food down now.

22. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member