GA DKA Diabetic emergency?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tara Gabbard, Aug 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tara Gabbard

Tara Gabbard New Member

hi my name is Tara
    I really need some help for how to save my baby at home.
    My cat daisy is 8 years old & was diagnosed with diabetes a little over a month ago.
    2 weeks ago now she nose dived & almost passed, we've been to the er & literally at the vet every single day for 2 weeks.
    Saturday was really bad for her so the vet has her again, she was doing sooo good on Friday then got awful out of no where, her blood glucose was 800 & keeps going for 210 to the 400s to 800 again. I just got her from the vet & her levels are so high it won't even register on the meter. The vet told me to give her 3 units of her novalin tonight, as I do ever 12 hours. He said at this point try and get anything in her food and water wise. I have pedialyte and tuna & will make raw chicken soon although she's not even trying to eat anything, she's barely even moving enough to breathe.
    I feel like it's up to me now to save her! I will not give up on her. I'm shutting down because I cannot let her go.
    Please please help me.
    I think she's letting go but I'm not ready!! I can't say goodbye, I'm going to die if I lose her.
    Thank you so much. Sorry if this is hard to read, I'm literally Ill over this & im shaking because im so scared.
    Tara

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2017
    Reason for edit: Added the GA (Gone Ahead or Guardian Angel) prefix. Fly free little one...
  2. Tara Gabbard

Tara Gabbard New Member

Also her temps are really low so I was told to keep her warm but she keeps stumbling to my bathroom to lay on the freezing tile with her face against the wall.

3. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

4. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Praying for you and your girl now :bighug::bighug::bighug:

5. Tanya and Ducia

Any chance of taking her to another ER?
    If finances are tight many members of this forum use Care Credit click here - no interest for 6 month or longer. You can apply online.

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  6. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Hi Tara. I'm so sorry Daisy is having so much trouble. I don't really have much advice to offer, other than what your vet has already told you, as I I have been fortunate enough to never have to deal with DKA. I do know it is very difficult to treat at home. I'm kind of surprised your vet sent her home if she is still doing poorly. There are a few folks on here who have dealt with it successfully at home; I know Tanya and Ducia did, and some others I can't remember the names of. If it was me, I would look for another vet who would keep her in the clinic and treat her till she was well enough to come home. The financial info that Tanya gave you is a good option, if cost is an issue. Here is a link to some other options. You can also try DCIN (Diabetic Cats In Need), I'm pretty sure our contact person here is Chris and China.

Sending tons of prayers and healing vines for Daisy and you. I'm so sorry I can't be of more help. Please keep us posted on her progress. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Lucy

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  7. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Tara,
    Is she just ketonic or is she in full blown DKA? You likely need to syringe feed her lots of calories - Royal Canin 'Recovery' is the best but Hills a/d is an OK syringe food. She has to have lots of food plus lots of insulin to start using the food instead of her body's fat stores (which creates ketones). She also needs fluids daily to help flush the ketones.

HUGS and hugs...oh yes it's scary!!!

8. Tanya and Ducia

Tara,
    how you and Daisy are doing?
    Can you please let us know?

9. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Sending healing vibes. I haven't dealt with DKA yet. Calories are important at this point.

10. Tanya and Ducia

11. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Praying she gets through this

12. JanetNJ

She definitely needs an emergency vet

JeffJ likes this.
  13. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Sending healing vines to Daisy, [​IMG]:cat:[​IMG]:cat:[​IMG]:cat:

14. Tara Gabbard

Tara Gabbard New Member

Sorry for not replying everyone. I appreciate everything and all the nice thoughts.
    Im broken right now, I lost her last night.
    I don't understand why she has so much over me.
    I'm so devastated that I honestly don't want to breathe anymore.
    Thank you all for your help.

15. Tanya and Ducia

Oh, Tara, I am so so very sorry about your loss. :bighug::bighug::bighug:
    Fly free sweet little Daisy cat_wings>o

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

16. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so so sorry Tara. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

17. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Tara, I'm so sorry for your loss.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

cat_wings>o Fly free Daisy... land softly.

18. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Tara, this is one group that understands how you feel. My first diabetic, KT, crossed 3 years ago next week. I still can't erase his last day's numbers off my whiteboard. We all wish we could take away some of that pain. Thank you for sharing her with us even for such a short time.

More hugs here too.

19. JanetNJ

I'm so sorry. :(

20. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

((TARA))

I am so so sorry to hear your devastating news. You did everything possible to save Daisy and you both fought so hard. Daisy is now free from pain and will live on in that special place in your heart reserved just for her. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

[​IMG]

21. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry you've lost your kitty. :rb_icon:cat_wings>o

22. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Our kittehs are interwoven and knitted into our hearts. That is why it is so hard to get over such a devastating loss.

I am sorry you lost your sweet kitteh. We know how hard it is, and words don't really help. You were the best Mom that your kitteh could ever have. May she fly freely and land softly at the Rainbow Bridge.:rb_icon:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  23. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

So sorry for your loss:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

24. vbc2000

vbc2000 Member

Tara, I'm so sorry :( Give yourself time to grieve and be gentle with yourself right now.

25. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Oh Tara, I am so, so sorry to hear about Daisy's passing. I hope your wonderful memories of her can help heal your broken heart.

Fly free, sweet Daisy, you are so loved cat_wings>o

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.