DKA recovery

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Hettie, Sep 6, 2019.

1. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

2.75U (only go up by 1/4 U). Can you monitor well? With the decrease in steroids it might bring his BG down. As long as you can monitor I would increase, tagging @Wendy&Neko @Marje and Gracie for their input.

Are you checking for ketones?

I am really glad to hear he has started eating some on his own :bighug:

Hettie and Marje and Gracie like this.
  2. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I would agree with this. His numbers are still way too high and you don’t want to risk him dropping back into DKA. Hill’s a/d is 12% calories from carbs.

But Lizzie’s point (@LizzieInTexas) about the steroids is important; as you ween him down on steroids, it’s vital that you keep an eye on the BG because his insulin needs might drop quickly.

LizzieInTexas and Hettie like this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I agree with you and Marje about the increase, we need to get those numbers down, but keep testing as you have so you can catch any changes needed from starting to taper the pred.

Out of curiosity, have you been able to test for ketones at home lately? If you have, please put the results in the Remarks part of the spreadsheet, or we will keep asking about testing. ;)

Good news that Max is eating a little on his own. That’s a good sign,

LizzieInTexas and Hettie like this.
  4. Hettie

Hettie Member

Yes, I’m checking ketones- yesterday was 0.6. I’m able to monitor this weekend about every 2 or 3 hours so I’ll be able to catch any low values.

5. Hettie

Hettie Member

Yes I’m testing ketones using a blood meter. Yesterday he was at 0.6. I’ll update his SS later today with those numbers.

Marje and Gracie and Wendy&Neko like this.
  6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Great news on the ketones, or lack thereof.

A favour to ask of you. Tomorrow, could you start a new post with a link back to this one. It’s getting a bit long. Long posts tend to turn away people who might otherwise step in with suggestions. We tend to start a new post every day here.

7. Hettie

Hettie Member

sure thing!

8. Hettie

Hettie Member

How often is this recommended? I've been testing about every other day...should I be testing every day? It's my understanding that ketones don't change drastically during the day like the BG does.

9. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Every day especially as long as he’s not in normal numbers.

Hettie likes this.
  10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

If it's not too much trouble, can you start a new thread? This thread has gotten very long!!

We encourage everyone to start a new thread each day and to link the previous day's post to the current day so it's easy to trace back.

Hettie likes this.