Edwin's OTJ Party

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by bsmith, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bsmith

bsmith Member

Today will be Edwin's 14th day with no insulin. I'd like to thank all of you on the FDMB for your knowledge, suggestions, support, and laughs during the short time I've been here. Let's hope Edwin's remission is a long one and that dietary changes continue to keep him healthy.

Now to turn it over to Edwin.

image.jpg

I was very, very small when I came to live with my mom. My mom went to the humane society to get two female kitties, but I insisted that I had to come home with her NOW. When she got me home, she realized that I was too young to even eat kitten kibble. I was probably about two weeks old. I don't blame her for not realizing how young I was since the last time she had a kitten she was only 3 years old. That kitty lived until a few months before I came along.

She got me a bottle and bottle fed me and taught me about using a litterbox. My sister Irene, who was a couple of weeks older than me and came home at the same time as me, helped too. Thank goodness there's that "PAID VET" paper on the table. That meant I could go home without them "fixing" me. My mom might not have remembered a lot about having a kitten, but she definitely knew I was still way too small for that.

My mom sure does like books, especially big science textbooks. I guess I better get comfortable sleeping in books. Look at my big ears with the tufts on them. I'm dreaming that I'm a bobcat.

image.jpg

Here's my sister Irene and me. We loved boxes and cuddling up together. We spent a lot of time on the screened in porch watching the world go by and the birds in the feeder that our mom put up. Irene used to jump up and hang from the screen right in front of the bird feeder on the other side of the screen. She'd hang on that screen like one of those stick on Garfield cats. She sure liked those birds.

We spent our first four years together, but then Irene got sick. My mom didn't know what was wrong with her and had to spend lots of time taking care of her. One day Irene went to the vet for surgery and then never came home. She had a nasty disease called FIP that took her away from me, but I was lucky that I didn't catch it. I was very sad and everytime I see a black cat I still call out hoping it might be her.

image.jpg
    One think I love is sleeping. I love sleeping in windows, on the finest silk, under the table on the back patio, and especially on the rolling hassock at the cottage. I especially like when the "glowing sun" big infrared heater is on. It's so warm and bright that you could practically get a suntan from it.

image.jpg
    The cottage is one of my favorite places in the world. I love going outside there and playing in the big storm drain. I like to hide in there and then when my mom calls to me I answer back. It makes my mom very confused since she can hear me but not see me. Once she gets closer to the pipe, she can see me looking up at her through the gap in the joint of the pipe. I'm a very good hider. I also love snoring away in the wild raspberry bushes that are right there.

image.jpg

See, I'm a very good hider. Can you find me?

image.jpg

Sometimes I like to dress like a goth cat.

image.jpg
    Being a goth cat requires me to thoughtfully stare off into the distance. That gate in the upper right picture is for sitting on. It's sure not for keeping me in anymore since my mom started me on Adequan and I'm a better jumper again.

image.jpg
    This past Christmas was good. Trees inside are also good for sleeping under. However, I got an even better gift a few months later when my mom bought me a brand new 10 ml bottle of Lantus. That helped me feel better. I don't mind the shots, but sometimes all the ear poking for testing makes me kind of cranky (though not as cranky as that Tramadol my mom gives me for arthritis pain). Sometimes my mom is very sneaky and takes a blood test while I'm sleeping really hard and doesn't even wake me up.

My mom might think she's tricky, but I can be very tricky too. Since my pancreas was still trying to work, my mom decided to switch me to Young Again Zero Carb Mature food (I have CKD too) to see if it would help with my BG numbers.

I decided to make my numbers so low that she couldn't give me any insulin anymore (I'm very sensitive to Lantus and only ever took a very small amount). Suddenly I was going OTJ without her even planning to have me do that. Today is day 14 without insulin. I'm feeling much better, am eating more and drinking less water, and my coat is looking better than it has in a year.

image.jpg
    I'm stalking again like the mighty hunter I am. Go pancreas, go!

Happy OTJ Day Edwin!

Here's Edwin's intro page, his main thread, and his going OTJ page.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  2. bsmith

bsmith Member

And here's my grandpa in his frilly apron as requested.

image.jpg

Critter Mom, Vyktors Mum and Vicki like this.
  3. Vicki

Vicki Member

WHOOP!! Way to go Edwin!!! :D:D:D:D
    My mom, Vicki, and I love your story, and hope that I am having my own OTJ party one of these days. My mom has watched your threads, as I am on low doses of Lantus as well. The wonderful people on this forum that are helping her say I may go into remission if my mom does things right!
    :kiss: Elizabeth
    ps - I have a kitten picture just like yours

bsmith likes this.
  4. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

What a great life and congrats on the OTJ. Keep it up Mr P!

bsmith likes this.
  5. Karen & Rudy

Karen & Rudy Member

I laughed, I cried...lol Edwin is beautiful and so lucky to have you! Congrats!!! :D

bsmith likes this.
  6. milosmommy

milosmommy Member

Congrats to both of you!

bsmith likes this.
  7. Stacym20

Stacym20 Member

Most awesome! Congrats!

bsmith likes this.
  8. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Woohoo!

:p:joyful::smuggrin::p:joyful:Congratulations, Bsmith & Edwin!!!:joyful::p:smuggrin::p:joyful:

~ Am totally thrilled for you (and loving Granpa's apron....;) )
    Wishing Edwin a long and happy remission!

Huge hugs,

Eliz x

bsmith likes this.
  9. Patricia & Noodle

Patricia & Noodle Well-Known Member

Congrats, Edwin!!! What a wonderful story, he has a very good life and is lucky to have such a caring bean :D:D:D:D:D Enjoy the falls!!!

And that picture of your grandfather and his apron, I giggled out loud! :joyful:

bsmith likes this.
  10. Nancy & Cootie (GA)

Nancy & Cootie (GA) Member

:D:D:D Congratulations & many good wishes for a long visit to The Falls!! Keep up the good work Mr.Pancreas! Loved all of your pictures, including Gramps, and your Mom's stories. Edwin, you are a truly lucky & handsome guy!

bsmith likes this.
  11. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

What a wonderful story!!

Congratulations on going OTJ and enjoy life at the falls!!

Love the frilly apron picture too! Those are the kinds of pictures we really treasure

Edited to add...I found him!! Sure wasn't easy though!! What a great "blender" he is!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    bsmith likes this.
  12. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Congratulations Edwin!! Enjoy life at the Falls.

bsmith likes this.
  13. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

WAHOO! So glad for you guys!! Congrats on going OTJ!
    May you have many, many years on your honeymoon from insulin!

You did a fantastic job with the photos - of course your Grandpa's is awesome. I loved the pic of little Irene, too. She looks like a sweetheart. I looked hard but sneaky hiding little Edwin escapes me in that one picture. I see why he has a reputation as a good hider! :p:D

bsmith likes this.
  14. Tina & Sammy

Tina & Sammy Well-Known Member

Congratulations!

bsmith likes this.
  15. Peg and Toby

Peg and Toby Well-Known Member

So glad for the both of you. Nice to hear a when a kitty is OTJ.

bsmith likes this.
  16. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

Congratulations and best wishes for continued success for Edwin and you too.

bsmith likes this.
  17. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Congratulations Edwin (and his mamabean!) We love the picture album and we know that you will really enjoy living at the Falls.

Ella & Rusty

Yo Edwin, As Head Chef of L&L it is my pleasure to present you with the menu for your OTJ party. Hope you enjoy the fuds!

~ Chef Rusty

Appetizers: Niptinis, Assorted Microbrews, Mojitos, Grilled Shrimp Cocktail, Spicy Tuna dip on Nip Crackers, Assorted Paw Prints Pizzas, Sushi Bar manned by L&L Sushi Chefs Neko and Tess.
    Entrees: Bar-b-qued ribs; Chef Rusty's Thunderin' Bison Chili with Fresh Salsa; Chef Mannie's Renowned PNW Poached Sockeye Salmon with Catnip Mayo; Rosemary-Orange Chicken, Rabbit Kabobs.
    Salads: Butthead's & Donny's Field Greens with Fresh Grass Clippings; Confetti Slaw.
    Desserts: Maggie's Signature NY Style Cheesecakes with Strawberry Topping; L&L Chief Pastry Chef Tess's Surprise Dessert; Tobey's Cimmamum Cookies; Chef Stu's World Famous Catmint Parfaits.

Kitchen Krew, get ready to roll! Edwin is OTJ tonight!

bsmith likes this.
  18. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Woohoo, an OTJ Party - those are the favorite kind around here!:D:D:D

Congratulations! I loved the story and pictures too.

bsmith likes this.
  19. jmalasiuk

jmalasiuk Member

Congratulations :cat: I'm hoping that Tonka can do as well (although if it's the apron that's the key, then we're out of luck :))

bsmith likes this.
  20. Deanna & Billie

Deanna & Billie Well-Known Member

Congratulations Edwin!!!!!!!! What a great story and great pictures :D:D:D:D Thank you for sharing!

bsmith likes this.
  21. bsmith

bsmith Member

The people on this board have been wonderful. The amount of knowledge here about diabetes, and every other possible cat ailment under the sun, is amazing. I've had board members spot possible issues that my vet has never even heard of (I had never even known that some of Edwin's weird behavior had an actual diagnosable name).

I'm sure many people have a kitten picture like that ;). My Aunt was always asking what Edwin looked like. I'd have to tell her that he looked a lot like all of those other gray tabby cats out there.

I noticed in your signature that you're having a hard time eyeballing those small doses (that 0.25 u often felt like sprinkling pixie dust, is there anything in there?). I found that a magnifying glass on a stand like this one was immensely helpful.

The other things that have been suggested to me for fine dosing are drop dosing (measuring how many drops are in an amount you can measure and then seeing how many drops are in that amount. Divide that number of drops to get the inbetween dose you desire). Another idea is making one reference syringe, with food coloring and the desired dose, and then comparing every Lantus filled syringe to the reference syringe. That way, even if the dose isn't exact, it's still consistent. The most popular method by far is using calipers. A set of full instructions can be found here. I'm still brainstorming on ideas for more accurate microdosing. (Do you hear that @MJ+Donovan? I'm still a comin' for you and you lab supplies one of these days. It's just been a little busy around here lately.)

22. bsmith

bsmith Member

Hooray, somebody found him. He could give that Waldo guy a run for his money. His great blending ability is why he has an rf chip on his collar. Without that if he decides to hide, even inside, you're not finding him until he decides he wants to be found.

23. bsmith

bsmith Member

Thanks for the compliment about the photos and for suggesting that I put them up. Irene was definitely a sweetheart, that was my nickname for her. I assure you that Edwin is indeed somewhere in that other picture.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  24. bsmith

bsmith Member

Edwin will definitely go for this. He loves eating grass. This winter has been too long and the grass is still brown and sleeping. We tried his own pot of cat grass inside once, but someone likes to rip, rip, rip everything out by the roots instead of just nibbling.

25. bsmith

bsmith Member

@Vicki, @Elizabeth and Bertie, @Patricia & Noodle, @Nancy & Cootie, @Chris & China, @julie & punkin (ga), @jmalasiuk, @Vyktors Mum and to all of you who admired my grandpa in his frilly apron, thank you. It's always fun to dig out those old photos and have a look. (Edwin's so old he has pictures that have corresponding negatives. Film. You remember film, right? Where you didn't get to know what the picture looked like until you finished the roll and then remembered to get the film developed. That's why there are so few pictures of Irene. Black cats are really hard to photograph, especially inside. Nowadays I'd just meter a bit differently and we'd be good to go.)

Anywho, that picture with my grandpa in the frilly apron confuses me. The fact that my grandfather is wearing it and posing that way isn't what confuses me as that seems perfectly normal (for my family). My issue is with the apron itself.

The problem I have is that the apron is sheer. What kind of apron is that? It's not going to keep any grease or kitchen mess off you. Also, a slight kitchen flare up and that apron is going to burn to nothing in seconds. (My grandpa should have been very aware of that. His mother used to smoke a pipe and would put it in her apron pockets. Often the pipe wasn't out and it would start the apron on fire a bit and burn holes through the pockets. See, I come by my problems with fire naturally.)

Also, that's my Aunt's old kitchen in the background. What would my somewhat hippie, organic farming, healing wild herbs gathering Aunt be doing with that apron in her house? A sensible cotton apron sure, but that one? Something is terribly off with that picture. Though, given my family, I probably don't want to know the real answer behind it all.

26. Chris & China (GA)

Maybe Grandpa bought it for Grandma to wear some night when he walked in the door, tired and hungry from a long day at work?....You know..."wear this..and nothing but this"?....LOL

27. Vicki

Vicki Member

Ordered....thank you! And I found Edwin in the picture!

bsmith likes this.
  28. bsmith

bsmith Member

Reasons like that are exactly why I probably don't really want to know. ;)

29. bsmith

bsmith Member

Another winner!

I hope the magnifying glass helps. It's also handy for other small jobs around the house when you need more than two hands (like gluing tiny broken bits of things back together). Or for soldering. You do like soldering, don't you? :)

30. julie & punkin (ga)

Alas, I looked again but still can't find Edwin.

I have my grandma's apron that's very similar. When she first left home she was a maid. My guess is your grandpa has the same kind of apron.

bsmith likes this.
  31. Vicki

Vicki Member

Funny you should ask. When I clicked on the link for the magnifying glass they suggested a nice pocket pack solder and a desodering pump to go along with the mirror. Maybe when I'm not staying up all night and day checking Liz's BG I'll take it up as a hobby! :cool:

bsmith likes this.
  32. AZJenks

AZJenks Well-Known Member

What a handsome boy and a wonderful story! Congratulations to you both. Enjoy the Falls :)

bsmith likes this.
  33. Vicki

Vicki Member

haha Julie! that's not a maid's apron!

I found an apron just like your grandpa's and Julie's grandma's in my daughter's kitchen last month. I was there to help with my 2 year old grandson because she's pregnant and has terrible "morning" sickness all day long and I thought, hmm...this is the type of apron that helps produce grandchildren! I haven't seen her or her husband wear it, but who knows? One day maybe he'll put it on, someone will take a picture in front of a turkey (which looks delicious by the way), and the kids will be wondering what's up with Grandpa?o_O

bsmith likes this.
  34. Chris & China (GA)

Just have to make sure....Is this him?
    hidden cat.png

bsmith and Vicki like this.
  35. julie & punkin (ga)

Hahahahaha maybe so, but I guarantee my Victorian grandma wasn't being anything except a maid in 1910!

Vicki likes this.
  36. julie & punkin (ga)

I saw that, although it's 1/4" in the pic on my phone. Also something different on the front of the brick, but I can't tell if it's a cat or not.

37. Vicki

Vicki Member

I also thought that was Edwin in the circled area. However, there is also something to the right of the second tree from the left. If only I had that magnifying mirror I just ordered!

bsmith likes this.
  38. bsmith

bsmith Member

Ooooh, a new desoldering pump. I do need one of those (really, I'm not kidding, they're a great tool. And some new solder wick too.) It's always fun to find new hobbies.

You made me laugh with this comment. It is possible that the apron you found is responsible for that morning sickness.

39. bsmith

bsmith Member

Yup, that's the solution. Thanks for posting it for me. When the picture was uploaded it lost some resolution so it's a bit harder to see. That gray tabby camouflage works really well. That's probably why so many cats "choose" to wear it.

julie & punkin (ga) and Vicki like this.
  40. bsmith

bsmith Member

41. julie & punkin (ga)

My Anya looks a lot like Edwin. She's in the "punkin and Anya video " in my signature line. It's good camouflage coloring.

42. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

I am so happy for you guys (and also that you posted that pic of grandpa!). Keep up the good work Edwin, you sure were lucky to insist on the mom that you did and find yourself such a great home :cat::cat::cat:

I really enjoyed reading Edwin's story and seeing his gorgeous pics and I hope he stays diet controlled forever - don't ever let him have the bad stuff again no matter how long it's been!

Whoo hoo welcome to da falls Edwin, I be your tour guide, but first de party! I'm bringing de special Aussie gum leaf likor to celebrate - it knock your socks right off! Congrats - Vyktor

bsmith likes this.
  43. bsmith

bsmith Member

They definitely have similar coloring, but Anya is much more fluffy with her longer hair. I like how Punkin is grooming her nicely and then Anya is like, "and now I'm going to bite you in your face." Irene took care of Edwin's ears and rear end for all the years they were together so after she passed he was kind of dirty and stinky. I had to lend a hand on occasion, but he eventually got the hang of his own grooming.

44. bsmith

bsmith Member

Definitely no bad stuff ever again. Those kitties at the shelter will be getting a nice donation of food and treats that Edwin can't have anymore. Though, I might try good quality fish once he's been stable for a long time to see if he has issues with all fish or just certain kinds. Surely those little bluegills from the lake should be good for him (I hope). It's amazing how many canned cat foods (especially low carb ones) have fish in them even if it's a flavor that has nothing to do with fish.

45. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Congratulations Edwin! Thanks for sharing his story. I love the pictures.

bsmith likes this.
  46. ursa68

ursa68 Member

Congratulations, Edwin and bsmith!!! So happy for you two! Love the pics... Edwin has a great life!

bsmith likes this.
  47. Vicki

Vicki Member

:rolleyes: I had a flashback last night and remembered how my mom used to wear aprons just like the one Grandpa has on! Back in the 50's and 60's when a couple gave a dinner party, they got quite dressed up (anyone watch Mad Men?), and the wife would wear a "hostess apron" over her cocktail dress. Grandpa has on a hostess apron! The apron mystery is solved! It still doesn't explain why Grandpa is wearing one. :smuggrin:

48. bsmith

bsmith Member

Ahhh, a hostess apron for your cocktail dress. Now that makes more sense. I'm afraid I'm a child of the late 70's so I lack those memories (all I remember is a lot of macramé and Grateful Dead and some sweet Scooby Doo action). Thank goodness for your night time flashback. It's amazing how things like that will sometimes come to you in the middle of the night. ;)

49. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

CONGRATS to you and Edwin!

bsmith likes this.
  50. Blamethecats and Hannah

Blamethecats and Hannah Member

Wonderful, wonderful news!!! Congratulations on a job well done... both of you!!! By the way, great pics. I especially love Edwin's ears. Very handsome! :cat:

bsmith likes this.
  51. julie & punkin (ga)

ah, and now I'm thinking Mary Tyler Moore in the Dick Van Dyke show - seems like she may have worn one of those aprons sometime. Hostess apron makes a lot of sense, although my grandma was poor and not hostessing anything. Or maybe she was hostessing in her employer's home.

Vicki likes this.
  52. Grayson & Lu

Grayson & Lu Well-Known Member

Congratulations Edwin! You are a very talented kitty and an excellent writer! Happy OTJ!!!

53. Vicki

Vicki Member

What year was Grandpa's picture taken? It brings back a flood of memories for me - the kitchen cabinets, the mixer (those are now back in style) and spice racks out....

54. bsmith

bsmith Member

Boy, that's a hard one to answer. That mixer is still in use even after a good 40 years or so of heavy use (sometimes there's meals for 50-60 people there and my aunt bakes and cooks a lot in addition to the big meals.) That kitchen was remodeled in '93 or so and my grandpa passed in '94. That being said, if I were to guess, as I don't have any real clear memories of that picture being taken, I would think it was the mid 80s (let me check the hair again, yup, mid 80s).

I looked at the back of the printed picture, but no clues there. (I suppose I could track down that particular Kodak version of paper from the type and font used on the back, but that sounds like too much work.) The picture was probably taken by my father so the negatives might be in with my parents' photo stuff, which is an even bigger mess than my photos (we both keep our photos contained to boxes, but the order within the boxes jump from decade to decade with no rationale. I'm afraid there are no scapbookers in our house.)

55. julie & punkin (ga)

sounds like the pictures at our house. yi yi yi. i kept them in the envelopes and wrote the date and occasions on the envelopes, so at least some of them can be figured out. But it's a pain.

the question is, is it any better with digital? now they're just 1,000 pics all in a file . . .not even printed out.

bsmith likes this.
  56. Vicki

Vicki Member

I never did scrapbooks, and my pictures are barely organized. I organized them a few years ago, and when I got to the time of purchase of the first digital camera, suddenly I had no more photos to organize! It felt great, but then Julie's right - I have no photos to "look" at!

bsmith , no need to dig deeper to find when the picture was taken. The setting (and apron!) are familiar, so brings back good memories. Flashbacks can be a good thing!

I saw this on Shark Tank, which solves the problem of never having any printed pictures! http://groovebook.com/ Check it out!

bsmith likes this.
  57. bsmith

bsmith Member

My parents and I really should make an effort at organizing and marking who's who on the back of the photos. When we went through my other grandparents' photos a few years ago, some of them had notations, but many of them did not. The answers about who the people in the older photos were was often a mystery (Friends? Relatives? Whose kid is that?).

At least you have some date and occasions marked on your envelopes and the correct corresponding photos in the envelopes. Even if the envelope is marked at our house it doesn't necessarily mean that those are the correct pictures inside.

58. Vicki

Vicki Member

Hello! I am looking for Edwin's SS but it's not there. Was it taken down since Edwin is OTJ, or is there a glitch? :cat:

59. bsmith

bsmith Member

Huh, that is odd. I'm getting an error too. I have been having some signature issues. I'll see if I can fix this. Thanks for telling me.

Edit: Replaced the link, though I didn't see that the new link I put in was any different from the old one. Anyways, the spreadsheet is back up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.