Happy 4th! Frosty 1 month on Vetoryl. AMPS 280, +2 178, +4 114, +5 101, +7 125, PMPS 244, +3 109

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ana & Frosty (GA), Jul 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

Previous post

Happy 4th to all my USA friends.

Frosty is doing really well. His sugars are so much better controlled now, even though we are still on 3 units. We saw a green (97) last night, and he's already in the 100s today. Excessive drinking and peeing stopped.

His fur is growing in nicely, and he's looking much fluffier, although it still feels coarse. That might just be the texture of his fur though. The really exciting thing is that the rest of the scab from his skin tear fell off yesterday! there are 2 very small scabs still there, but otherwise, the area has healed nicely! He is still wearing his shirt because the skin under his armpits still feels very thin, and I am worried he will pullout more skin while grooming, but the area took a month to heal, which is great. He also had some scabs/calluses on his feet that weren't healing before we started Vetoryl, and those fell off and areas are nicely healed as well.

He's still a caterwauler, and crazy about food. That hasn't changed at all. I am hoping it will, but it might be part of his personality. He almost ate some of the cereal out of my bowl this morning, while I was sitting right in front of it! No fear...

But otherwise, he's a good boy. ;)

Hope everyone has a great day.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  2. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Such a beautiful boy :cat:

Glad he is healing.

Ana & Frosty (GA) likes this.
  3. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Right now I would take that and run!

I am glad to hear that he is healing and it sound like the vetoryl is doing its thing. I can't wait to see what he is like at month 2 or 3.

4. Ana & Frosty (GA)

So now that we're seeing some high greens/low blues on the Alphatrack2 meter, I wonder if I should decrease his dose to 2.75 while we are away this weekend. The pet sitter won't be testing. I'm gonna pre-draw (I know it's not recommended, I read the article). I'm thinking of starting today so I can see how he does. I can go back up to 3 units when we get back, if his sugars start to trend up. Thoughts?

@Wendy&Neko @Tuxedo Mom

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

FWIW, I would always reduce Gabby's does when I was traveling. Gabby wouldn't let anyone but me test her. I was happy that my petsitter was able to give her a shot! I also bumped the dose back up when I returned.

I would leave a dummy syringe that's filled with colored liquid and/or e-mail your petsitter a photo of a syringe that has 2.75u drawn up. Is the pet sitter really not able to fill a syringe?

6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Very nice to hear Frosty is healing.

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

What a great Frosty report! :joyful::joyful:

Sienne has way more experience than me on petsitter dosing. Have fun this weekend.

8. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

ROFL. That is so funny. What a goofball kitteh.:D:joyful:

The numbers look real good the past few days. I really like the picture of your hubby hugging Frosty with pajamas, and Frosty giving him a headbutt (June 10). Frosty is such a good boy.:bighug:

Leo's fur has gone through stages of course/not good to "pretty good". These last 2 months it is pretty good. Frosty might be similar.

I am up in NYC on business again for 4.5 days next week. Please tell the weather gods to make it 85 degrees again.

9. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Thank you, guys, for the kind words! I am pretty surprised about the positive changes I have seen in him, but I am still trying to take it one day at a time (he does, after all, have a brain tumor, even if it's not malignant).

I discovered 2 small scabs on his hind leg today. No open areas. Maybe some small skin tears while he was grooming. He's been wearing his shirt for 3 weeks now since it's been hot, but I think tonight we will change him back into the onesie to protect more of his skin. It's a little discouraging to find, but just confirms that he is not to be out of clothes just yet. MAYBE in a few months his skin will become thicker and he can be naked again ;). The vet did say the skin would be the last change we will see, and can take more than 6 months. I think we got lucky with the wound healing so far.

I am going to decrease his dose to 2.75 and monitor him for the next 2 days before we go away. I'm LOVING his numbers right now, but I agree that high is better than low when we are away. My bf also gets nervous when he goes into the low 100s/90s, I think I scared him with Zoey's story :( every cat is different though. I can always go up to 3 again next week if I see his numbers start to trend up when I test at night.

PMPS is 242.

Hope everyone has a good rest of the week! @JeffJ , I will be in South Carolina this weekend. I am NOT amused. I hate this heat and humidity sooo much. Impossible to run outside, impossible to breathe, frizzy hair, and most importantly, it's not snowing. :'( Is it September yet?? :p

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  10. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Low numbers scare me too. When Leo goes to 100, we know that a hypo can occur in the next two cycles. Whether it is eating issues, or the Acro remnants, who knows. So we try to get his nadirs in the 100-150 range as possible.

Weather - yeah the hot and humid stuff is no fun. We get plenty in Austin. At least Austin has some pretty awesome winters. That white stuff that floats from the sky - I am allergic to that!

South Carolina will be kinda fun. September is just around the corner!

11. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Interesting. We are at 109 at +3 at the lower dose already. I realize he still has some of the 3u depot left, so I'll continue to monitor. But if he continues to give me 100s/90s, he may go to 2.5u this weekend! :D

JeffJ likes this.
  12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Good plan to see how he does for a couple days on the reduced dose. The larger dose can impact 4-6 cycles after the reduction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.