? Jack 03/16 - AMPS 308, +3 234, +5 201, +8 100, +10 91

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by AngelaMiao, Mar 16, 2019.

1. AngelaMiao

AngelaMiao Member

Yesterday

Had a pretty flat yellow cycle yesterday. Started in pink today but low pink, so same general range.

Sometimes when I see cycles like last night
    I worry that I'm not injecting correctly. I use the SureComfort and they're terrible for air bubbles - it happened a few times where I didn't see any bubbles but tapped on the syringe anyway, turned the insulin into bubbles and then when I tapped them out, the amount of insulin I had was way lower than I had before (as if there had been invisible hair mixed in with the insulin). Or cases where the insulin ends up on top of the air so it looked like I had 2 units of insulin and 1 unit of air, but it was actually 2 units of air and 1 unit of insulin (when I pushed up the plunger, expecting the air from the top to come out it turned out that the top was insulin and bottom was air).

Are the ReliOn syringes any good? Id be willing to take a drive down to the USA for them. They come out to about 17.50 Canadian for the 100 pack so definitely worth the 1.5hr drive, we only have the BD syringes and its around 55-60$ for 100 pretty much every place I've checked.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

When you draw up the insulin into the syringe, try pushing the plunger right in and holding it in, before you put it into the insulin. Then try drawing up the correct amount of insulin. When done this way I did not get air bubbles in the syringe

Bellasmom likes this.
  3. AngelaMiao

AngelaMiao Member

Will try that! Just to make sure I understand correctly, I put the needle into the insulin, press on the plunger to create a seal, hold it a few seconds and then pull back?

Thank you!

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

No. You push the plunger right in and hold it BEFOREyou put it into the insulin vial or cartridge. If you are holding the insulin upside down no air should get into the syringe.

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Are you drawing up a bit more insulin than you need when you fill the syringe? I'm assuming this is what you're doing but I thought I'd ask. If you don't "overfill," it's likely that there's air in the base/hub of the syringe which is why, if you tap the syringe, you'll get bubbles. Draw off more insulin than you need, tap the syringe, and then twist the plunger to titrate to the dose you need. That way, you'll push the air out.

6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Can't answer on the brand of syringes. I didn't like relion because the markings were inconsistent. Nice +3 though.

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Those BD prices are incredible! I had to ask around, but got some around $34 for a box of hundred at Safeway pharmacy. Most others were around $39-40. Here is an example of a quick search for on line prices: https://diabetesexpress.ca/products/bd-uf-ii-syringe-3-10cc-31g-8mm. Those are the ones I used. Of course, I still had to deal with bubbles. :rolleyes:

8. AngelaMiao

AngelaMiao Member

Okay, got it now! Duh, I'm silly lol

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  9. AngelaMiao

AngelaMiao Member

@Sienne and Gabby (GA) yep, I usually draw out an extra unit and spray it out as I'm pushing out the bubbles

@Wendy&Neko sweet! I love the BD ones so much!

@Olive & Paula good to know! Definitely don't want to have to deal with that :/

Thank you guys!!

10. AngelaMiao

AngelaMiao Member

Jack is still going down at +10.5 so might need help for preshot

11. AngelaMiao

AngelaMiao Member

PMPS was 126 so I gave the full dose since he had gone up from 91 @ +10.5

Gill & George likes this.
  12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Paws crossed for a nice surf tonight.

13. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Good Shooting, hope you get a nice surf tonight.

14. AngelaMiao

AngelaMiao Member

Thank you :)

He's been around 120-87 all evening. For some reason he looks like he's about to die - acting exactly like he does when his BG is super high. Super lethargic, sleeping, bloodshot eyes with his inner eyelids sticking