New to this forum and have a few questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Fiona1, Apr 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fiona1

Fiona1 Member

Hi, I am new to this forum upon finding out that my cat has diabetes.

Tinkerbell is a 10 years old indoor cat. She was eating half a pouch of Sheba in the morning (she wouldn't take to any other pouches) and Royal Canin biscuits the rest of the time (which I was under the impression were good for her until I began researching).

She dry heaved a few times so I took her to the vets. He thought it was an allergy as I told him that she had had some new treats. He gave her a steroid and antibiotic. He then said to bring her back two days later. As a precaution he gave her another steroid and antibiotic. After this she became lethargic and wasn't eating or moving much. She went back to the vets where she had another steroid and antibiotic. The next day was a Sunday and my normal vets was closed so I took her to an out of hours emergency vets where she stayed in. They phoned me to say she has ketoacidosis and diabetes. I collected her the next morning and took her back to my normal vet. She has been there since. She is now over the ketoacidosis but they are now stabilising her blood sugar levels, so she is staying there for the moment

I have begun researching online and this is what I have read so far, which you may or may not agree with:
    *Cats with diabetes should eat wet food only.
    *The wet food should be 7% or lower in carbohydrates.
    *Vets will try to push Hills/Royal Canin but these are not good for cats with diabetes.
    *If you go for a low carbohydrate diet, you need to be available to home test blood sugar levels.
    *Steroids can induce diabetes sometimes. If this is the case, remission is more likely.

Please help me with a few questions I have:
    *If I am not going to go along with the food the vet will most likely suggest (Hills/Royal Canin), would I be out of the house for too long to be able to home test? I currently work shifts. It will be anything from 8-4 to 12-8. My boyfriend is home from work around 3.30pm on weekdays so would be available to home test. For example, on my earliest day that I start at 8am, I leave at 7.15am and my boyfriend gets home at 3.20-3.30pm. I only do this shift once per week.
    *I have 2 cats. The other cat is 2 years old and is also an indoors cat. Should I be looking to get her onto a low carbohydrate diet too? I read this is healthier but I don't want to risk her health. I should be able to separate them for eating, which would not be a problem.
    *Given that they are both indoors cats, would it be worth potentially buying a cat wheel/treadmill for them to go on?
    *Would switching to a raw diet be beneficial for a cat with diabetes?
    *Which are the best UK brands of cat foods for cats with diabetes?
    *Is it worth buying a pet feeder for when I am out, so they can eat little and often? Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to separate the 2 cats for this.
    *Is it worth phoning round vets to see if they agree with a non Hills/Royal Canin diet? Are there any that would agree or is it not worth it?

I am currently going to start reading up on this thread. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/feline-diabetes-faq-newcomers-start-here.2502/

2. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Hi again Fiona, glad you found your way here. You're asking all the right questions and I'm going to leave others to respond now as I have to run... and I will also tag @Elizabeth and Bertie who is our UK food guru, and @Monica Lewis who is another UKer and has done a great job of getting to grips with FD and treating her cat... she has a good way of explaining things!

Will look in again later.

Diana

Elizabeth and Bertie and Fiona1 like this.
  3. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

have 10 cats, only ones that ride the cat wheel pretty much every day are the two youngest who were 5-6mth old kittens when i bought it but, it has to apparently be in a spot where we walk by a lot (kitchen to living room area) for every time i moved it to a less crowded area, they ignore it 90% of the time!! the others from 3yrs & up will not use it at all and i can only get 2 of them to use it for like a minute when i use a toy to entice them. that's not to say that if you have active cats and time to constantly entice them to use it the first few weeks that they won't take to it though. for my older ones, i get better results making them active with a stationary laser toy that goes back & forth in room in a slightly slow mode (not the ones with laser that goes in a circle though, they just sit there and watch that one).

-looking at your schedule, i would make injection times somewhere around 6-7am & 6-7pm. you test BG, feed & give injection at 6-7 and boyfriend could do the same at 6-7pm so that should work for you.
    -yes switch both cats to same low carb foods, most of us do.
    -raw food is very good for diabetic & non-diabetic cats but, be sure to add needed supplements.
    -don't know live in US but, think there is a link somewhere on here for UK foods, someone UK based should share it when they see your thread.
    -pet feeder for when working, yes good idea if not leaving out extra low/zero carb dry. i personally would set it to open for around +4 after injections when most cats BG's start going low but, that also depends on insulin you will be using. if not going to be able to test BG often, you should consider a long lasting insulin instead of a short acting one i think.
    -my guess is if you phone around, most vets would agree with a prescription diet, its what they know! but, low carb wet foods like canned fancy feast pates and even low carb dry foods like young again zero/wysong espigen 90/dr. elsey clean protein if you have to use dry, is better than the prescription ones most time!

Fiona1 likes this.
  4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Which insulin are you using? It does sound like the steroid shot brought on diabetes.

Tilou and Fiona1 like this.
  5. Fiona1

Fiona1 Member

Thanks for the reply Sylvie. I will definitely have a look into the laser toy.

Thanks for the reply also tiffmaxee. I'm not sure which insulin is being used. She has been at my vets since yesterday. He is due to call me shortly or in the morning so I will ask this and post it on here. The veterinary nurse said her levels are currently not stabilising. Is this normal? Could it ever be that a cats levels won't ever stabilise?

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

It can be difficult to get the levels stabilized with a bout of ketoacidosis because of the body wide biochemical imbalances that happen. It doesn't mean that her BG won't be stabilized later on after she's recovered and has been on insulin a while. The best place for her right now is at the clinic.

Fiona1 and tiffmaxee like this.
  7. Fiona1

Fiona1 Member

The vet phoned and i asked which insulin she is having and he said caninsulin.

8. Diana&Tom

Yes it would be Caninsulin. There's a recently updated Beginner's Guide that would be useful reading for you to read... sorry I can't do links but it's near the top of the Caninsulin/Vetsulin forum on this board.

You asked about food yesterday too - there is a UK food list that @Elizabeth and Bertie put together, a very comprehensive list, but generally, you want to feed wet food in jelly (not gravy, which has sugars) - supermarket brands such as Whiskas and Felix are ok, or for higher protein content try HiLife or Sainsbury's Delicious or Natures Menu. There are many others, some available only online from companies such as Zooplus. Poultry varieties are usually a good bet - some cats are allergic to beef, and too much fish isn't recommended either. But when you start giving insulin you may want to have a selection of foods to offer - it's vital that the kitty eats so if she goes off one food or loses her appetite, you may have to try another.

Best of luck!

Monica & Josie and Fiona1 like this.
  9. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

That’s good that you know which insulin. Can you add a signature and put it in there so you don’t get asked over and over. I used lantus so don’t have knowledge to help you as it works differently. I hope she comes home soon.

Fiona1 likes this.
  10. Fiona1

Fiona1 Member

Hi Diana, thanks for the reply. I did notice Natures Menu and thought this would be a good one. Thanks, I will check that list out.

Thanks tiffmaxee, hope this is updated now.

My cat is still in the vets. She went into the emergency vets on Sunday and she has been at my normal vets since Monday. Is there anything, other than food, that I should be buying in preparation for when she gets home? Will vets usually sell a home testing kit? I'm out of my mind with worry at the moment.

11. Diana&Tom

Natures Menu is a good choice, Fiona. Try looking at www.fetch.co.uk for some good prices. They do a "variety box" that you could try as a starting point, both in the standard NM range and the slightly dearer Country Hunter range. Bear in mind that a new food may not be to a fussy kitty's liking at first but it is worth persevering.

As for vets selling a testing kit - that's rather unlikely, sadly. Many vets are just not very clued-up on FD and don't really want you to test your cat's bg at home - completely disregarding the possibility of insulin overdose. It is vital to test bg before giving each insulin shot to know that the "number" is a safe number to shoot. You will become familiar with this and lots of other stuff as you go along and read as much as you can here.

We all understand how hugely worrying this is at first. It's completely unknown territory to most of us. But after a matter of days you'll see the logic of everything we say here for yourself, and you can post as often as you like and there will always be people ready to help. For specific queries, start a new thread with an appropriate title.

So ok as for meters - there are several available in the UK which members here use successfully. The key is to buy one with test strips that don't cost the earth - the strips will be your main outgoing as you go forward. There have been several threads recently from newbies asking about meters - if you do a search for "UK meters" or similar you should find the discussions on those meters and decide which one might suit you best. And btw - if you have pet insurance, the policy should cover things like strips... worth investigating.

ETA I've searched for threads re meters in the UK and can't find them... I do recall though that one is called Accu-Check Performa Nano, another is the Code-free and another is the One Touch Ultra. If you search for those names in the search box here you should find more info.

Keep asking questions - we really do know what this is like.

Diana

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    Fiona1 and Monica & Josie like this.
  12. Monica & Josie

Monica & Josie Member

Hello and welcome Fiona and Tinkerbell:cat:

I think most of your questions will be answered by trial and error such as which food, shooting time and feeding schedule.. etc.
    Vets will always recommend you prescription food cos they have to but if you look at the ingredients list you will see the 'red flag' ingredients that diabetic kitties should stay clear from.
    Just tell your vet you would like to try out something else that's highly recommended by diabetic cat owners.
    Fairly popular Supermarket choice is Sheba Fine Flakes in Jelly due to high meat low carb content. You didn't mention which type of Sheba you're feeding her currently..
    My cat liked it very much until she got pancreatitis and we had to go through yet another round of trials until happily settled for Nature's Menu regular ones. We feed Josie 3 pouches a day little and often and strictly no dry food.
    She got used to it and a happy kitty now.
    Not the cheapest but very high quality product and apparently very close to raw feeding..
    Natures Menu also have a frozen raw feed ready to eat line. If you're interested you might want to try it once you became a little more experienced in testing/ shooting/monitoring and settled into some kind of a routine.

I do sympathise with you, when you start your sugar kitty journey things can be very overwhelming trying to change and learn everything all at the same time but eventually things will all fall into place.
    In my experience it's easier if you just focus on the most important things first such as testing Tinkerbell at least twice a day before her insulin shots so you'll now it is safe to give her the insulin and just write it all down first in a diary until you got your spreadsheet up and running. Also try to reduce the carbs in her diet by eliminating dry food gradually as that can make a significant difference in those blood sugar levels. Some kitties go into remission just by a change of diet and getting rid of dry food completely.

To answer some of your questions:

Yes pet feeders are brilliant in my opinion, I would recommend this one as it has rotating slots so you can feed kitty for longer periods - the digital timer is so easy to set up ( even I can do it! :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mate-Automatic-Pet-Feeder-Digital/dp/B01AUYLVU8
    I think you could feed both of your kitties the same food, a low carb-high meat content diet can only improve a kitty's overall wellbeing, healthy or diabetic.

As for glucose meter we bought ours off the shelf in Boots alongside with the boxes of test strips, it's an Accu Check Performa Nano. Can't compare to any others as this is the only one we ever tried but it's been consistently very reliable with the need of a small amount of blood so I can recommend. Also very convenient cos when you need more test strips you just go into Boots and can buy it straightaway off the shelves.
    If you have pet insurance they should cover both the monitor and the strips. If no insurance look online, you can get great deals there.
    Oh one more thing, the blood testing kit comes with a lancet pen. Give it a go see if you can get on with it when testing. If not don't worry, most of us use free-hand single lancets to poke kitty's ear so we can see better what we're doing. We ditched the lancet pen on the first day!

Hang in there Fiona, I'm not going to 'sugar-coat' it:), it's going to be a bit of a rollercoaster ride at first so brace yourself but eventually you will get there with determination, TLC, support from the board and a positive attitude with a good sense of humour to keep your sanity! :cat::smuggrin:

13. Fiona1

Fiona1 Member

Thanks again for your reply.

So are these meters that are specifically for cats? Or are they for humans and you can use them on cats? I am going to go to Boots today and see what they have. I unfortunately don't have pet insurance but that's not a problem. I just want a machine that will definitely work well.

She's still in the vets and I am going to visit her there today. :) I will find out if she's able to come home tomorrow but it's all dependent on her blood sugar levels today, the vet said. He did say they could still be all over the place at the moment because her 10 day steroid wears off tomorrow.

14. Fiona1

Fiona1 Member

Hi Monica, thanks for the reply.
    My cats currently eat Sheba Fine Flakes, so I will keep a box in stock in case my cat chooses not to eat the Nature's Menu. Might take some time.
    With the gradual elimination of dry food, is there a specific dry food I should give (while trying to eliminate it)? I already have Royal Canin light weight, hairball and oral but should I go with the dry food my vet suggests while I am trying to eliminate it? Or is there a better one?
    Thanks I will try to buy that in Boots today if they have it.

Tilou likes this.
  15. Fiona1

Fiona1 Member

1 other question I have is, I am relocating from Bournemouth to Worthing next month (roughly 2 hours in car). Is there anything that I should do differently seeing as Tinkerbell has now been diagnosed? I did buy Nutri Calm previously. Would this be dangerous to use?

16. Diana&Tom

Hi Fiona. The meters we have suggested are human meters, yes, but that's what the majority of people here use for various reasons, one being that the cost of strips is much lower and more accessible. They certainly work well - they have to, if humans are going to use them reliably! Vets sometimes try to push you to use a pet meter such as Alphatrak but this is not necessary.

Yes I can imagine that Tinkerbell's bg is all over the place so in a way she's at the best place for now where the vet team can monitor her. If she does come out tomorrow, make sure they explain fully to you how to inject insulin and what dose to give. Usually cats on Caninsulin would start off at 1u (1 unit) twice a day and stick with that for a couple of weeks, and then increase if necessary dependent on bg test results.

The dry food issue is a bit of a dilemma as if you stop it at the same time as giving insulin, bg may drop more than you might anticipate. We want a normal bg, not a too-low one. It's best not to feed dry at all to a diabetic cat, but until we know what Tinkerbell's numbers look like when she comes home, and what dose insulin has been prescribed, it may be best to play safe and give a small amount of dry. That would be my suggestion, but others here may be more ruthless and say ditch the dry straightaway! But as I say, we can advise more when we know more.

If a two-hour car journey is going to be stressful for Tinkerbell you may want to ask the vet about Nutri Calm - I haven't used it and don't know but it may be similar to Feliway? I agree that some sort of calming measure is a good idea. Stress can raise bg and you certainly don't want to do that if you can help it.

Good luck with getting a monitor. I'd suggest trying it out on yourself before you use it for Tinkerbell. It's not difficult but there's a knack to it that you will quickly pick up - but come here and ask for tips if you need to... there's a wealth of info on testing that might be helpful. Then we'll suggest how you go about recording results on a spreadsheet and attach that to your signature so we can see at a glance how things are going.

You're doing great!

Fiona1 likes this.
  17. Tilou

Tilou Member

Wow! I wasn't aware that steroid shots could do that and that info has now opened up a window for me regarding Bob's diabetes as our (old) vet was always using steroid shots to stimulate Bob's appetite when we took him up there to get treated for his (pseudo) feline flu symptoms.

In fact our new vet was mortified when she heard that a steroid shot was given to Bob the week before we switched to her practice. The "treatment" given by the old vet was not working in clearing up Bob's infection, and instead sent his BG through the roof - as a consequence he spent two days on a drip being treated for high BG.

:banghead:

Fiona1 likes this.
  18. Tilou

Tilou Member

Hi Fiona

Just to give you an idea of the effect of the dry food that vets promote us to buy from them - if I give Bob 10g of Royal Canin diabetic biscuits (which, ironically he loves!), I will see a significant jump in his blood glucose level as opposed to feeding him a wet low carb food. Check out my SS for 9 & 10 April... Bob got dry food (Hills Metabolic) from the vet to eat on those days. I switched him to a wet food only regime on the 11 April. Note: his numbers are still high as he's on a new insulin and has, in the words of our vet "a complicated diabetes", but I think you'll get the gist.

Check out zooplus.co.uk as they provide the list of nutritional values on the food they sell and ideally you're looking for a low carbohydrate option (less than 10%). You can get a simple app to calculate the carbs in cat food called "Carbohydrate calculator for cat food" if you're unsure.

It is very difficult to get the likes of Royal Canin etc to tell you what their carb content is in their specialist diabetic foods, but it is definitely higher than 10%. I've heard the biscuit carb content is as high as 30% so you need to wean your little one off the dry food and onto the wet food.

My Bob is an extremely fussy eater (despite being a turned feral!) with a delicate digestive system. I bought some Animonda Integra Protect diabetic wet food for him originally (7.5% carb) and have slowly introduced other brands in the last couple of weeks with carb content as low as 2.5%.

Keep up the good work. This forum has been a life saver for me - as I'm always being told treating diabetes in cats is a marathon, not a sprint ;) (I'm really impatient, lol).

Fiona1 and Elizabeth and Bertie like this.
  19. Fiona1

Fiona1 Member

Thanks for the replies. Sorry i havent updated you all. Had a very stressful weekend! Saw tinkerbell on friday in the vets and she looked well. Vet promised a call with an update on saturday but forgot to call and i ended up thinking the worst, so hardly slept saturday night. He did phone on sunday though :) said she is bright and well. Blood sugar levels are coming down but he thinks it will be another couple of days in the vets.

Tilou and Monica & Josie like this.
  20. Monica & Josie

Monica & Josie Member

Glad to hear Tinkerbell is doing well, hopefully she can come home soon!:cat:

Fiona1 and Tilou like this.
  21. Monica & Josie

Monica & Josie Member

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    Fiona1 likes this.
  22. Sue (Mo's Mum)

Sue (Mo's Mum) Member

Hi Fiona,

My cat is newly diagnosed too and has the added complication of pancreatitis.

The vet has suggested ProZinc for Morrissey, and I'm off to collect it in a bit.

I think I'll pop to boots and buy a testing meter there - I thought I had one but can only find the empty box!

I hope Tinkerbell is home with you soon.

23. Tilou

Tilou Member

Hi Sue

Head over to the ProZinc part of the forum - lots of helpful info on there.

My Bob was put on PZ recently (previously on Caninsulin and Lantus) and is getting on quite well with it.

Welcome :bighug:

Fiona1 likes this.
  24. Monica & Josie

Monica & Josie Member

Hi Fiona, how are you and Tinkerbell doing?

Hope you're both ok, give us an update when you can

25. Fiona1

Fiona1 Member

Hi Monica,
    She is still in the vets. Her blood sugar tends to be high in the morning, around 28. It then dips in the afternoon to around 20. My vet didnt give her insulin today to test for the somogyi effect and her blood sugar was still high. Before that, she was up to 4 units. I went to visit her tonight and he gave her insulin this evening, 4 units again. She was hissing and growling when he tested her blood sugar and gave her insulin. I am really upset and deflated at thw moment about this. We are coming up to 2 weeks of her being in the vets. My vet says he will get her levels down. He is also feeding her wet only food. Im just so scared that her levels are never going to stabilise.

26. Monica & Josie

Monica & Josie Member

Hi Fiona,
    I'm so sorry to hear your news, it must've been very upsetting to see Tinkerbell like that.
    Unfortunately as there were complications at the beginning sadly I guess it is not a straightforward case.

Although to me 4u sounds like a high dose for the second week. Caninsulin website suggests a starting dose of 1 unit and increase by 1 unit per week if necessary.
    It might be different for DKA cats, must admit I don't have any experience in dosing a kitty with a history of ketoacidosis and steroids ( hopefully someone else experienced will see your post and give their opinion..)

Is your vet experienced in treating diabetic cats?
    Here is the link to the official Caninsulin page in more details if you'd like to read up a bit more about dosing and maybe ask your vet some questions?
    http://www.caninsulin.com/insulin-dosage-cats.asp

Usually there's a good chance that cats can be regulated, just takes a bit of time to find the right type of insulin and the right dose..

Hang in there Fiona!:bighug:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Fiona1 likes this.
  27. Diana&Tom

So sorry to hear that there's not better news, Fiona. We all know what it's like to have a poorly kitty and how upsetting it is to visit them in hospital... my heart goes out to you.

Do keep us informed and please ask any questions about anything you're not sure of... there are some very experienced members here with similar experiences to yours who we can tag to look at your thread and get their thoughts.

Thinking of you.

Diana

Fiona1 likes this.
  28. Diana&Tom

Fiona - just read through other posts here... Kris's explanation above makes sense, ie it may take a while to get this sorted...

Fiona1 and Elizabeth and Bertie like this.
  29. Tilou

Tilou Member

I agree with the others. It's difficult if there are complications. Bob's bloods rocket up and down (as can be seen on his SS). Even after being kept at the vet for treatment he came home with a BG reading of 30+ :nailbiting:

His dose has been increased this week to 3ui am & pm, which saw a dramatic fall to 7.7 at the nadir yesterday... only to be back up to 25.9 this morning :banghead:

My vet has said I only need to test at the daily nadir point (+5) but given Bob's erratic - and what she calls "complicated" - FD, I'm still testing when I can... and like your little darling, Bob is a hisser (& fighter) when it comes to getting prodded and poked :eek:

I don't want to sound flippant, because I know (as we all do on this forum) how upsetting this is - but stick with it and try not to let your stress vibes pass on to Tinkerbell.

We're all here to help :bighug:

Fiona1 likes this.
  30. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Fiona, if the high blood glucose is due to too high a dose of insulin it can take a while for it to drop back down again. On this forum we've found that it can take up to a few days. So, one day without insulin may not be sufficient to determine whether the dose is too high.
    The reason for this is that as well as the cat's body raising its own blood glucose level (by releasing stored glycogen) it can also release counter-regulatory hormones, the purpose of which is to keep the blood glucose high. That effect can take up to a few days to wear off in some cats.

What is the situation with Tinkerbell now? Does she still have DKA, or ketones at all?
    Do you know how often the vet is testing her blood glucose?

If your vet thinks Tinkerbell's case is problematic it might be worth him or her giving the RVC's feline diabetes clinic in London a call. The RVC has run a couple of very useful feline diabetes research projects, including looking at 'diabetic remission' in cats (several members here have volunteered their cats in the past) and also research into a condition called 'acromegaly' (which causes high blood glucose but which isn't caused by diabetes). There are some very clued up vets there, and they have been helpful on more than one occasion by kindly having a chat with an FDMB member's vet...

Hang in there, Fiona....

(((Hugs))) from Surrey,

Eliz

Fiona1 and Kris & Teasel like this.
  31. Kris & Teasel

Great idea to call RVC!

Fiona1 likes this.
  32. Diana&Tom

www.rvc.ac.uk and look at "small animal referrals"

Fiona1 and Kris & Teasel like this.
  33. Fiona1

Fiona1 Member

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies and thoughts :cat:
    My vet said he has treated diabetic cats and has had a few cats that aren't stabilising.
    Tinkerbell does not have DKA or any ketones at all. She was diagnosed with DKA on 15/04/18 and on 17/04/18, the vet said there were no ketones in her urine. I will ask him if he has still been testing this. Do you think that's a good idea?
    The vet said he is testing her twice a day. Once in the morning and once in the evening.
    I did ask my vet (after researching BG levels not stabilising) whether it could be acromegaly or cushings disease and he said "no, she definitely has diabetes". Should I ask why he is certain?
    Thanks for the link to RVC, I will give them a call. From your experiences, have other vets been offended when suggesting they call them? I don't think my vet will because when we mentioned the wet food and other things, he didn't mind at all. I will start by giving them a call and seeing what they suggest.
    I am moving on 23/05/18 and I am leaving my job on 11/05/18 so I will be around to monitor her all the time. We are now temporarilly moving in with my mum when we relocate, due to the vet bills (relocating to live near her anyway). I will be looking for a job once I move, but the good thing is, my mum only works 3 days a week, so there will likely be someone around a lot for Tinkerbell.
    I've done an order today of about 15 different cat foods from the spreadsheet.
    I am looking to order a BG meter. I did have a look at the Accu Check Performa Nano but I read that it takes 0.6. My vet had to put the needle in her arm twice to get blood so perhaps it might be difficult. I saw there is an Accu Check Mobile which is 0.3. Does anyone know much about this one? Is the only thing I need to buy to go with the meter I pick the strips or is there anything else that I need to buy?

Thanks again everyone

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  34. Fiona1

Fiona1 Member

I just phoned the RVC and they said they won't discuss it with me, only with vets. I did phone the small pet owners number. I will ask my vet to call them instead.

35. Diana&Tom

Hi Fiona
    You certainly seem to be taking this seriously and have learned a lot in a short space of time, good on you! All your knowledge will stand you in good stead for when Tinkerbell comes home. To answer some of your questions:

If bg remains high it is a good idea to test for ketones, yes. I'm not sure what the suggested intervals are - maybe @Kris & Teasel or others can advise?

Twice-daily bg tests are not really enough - we need to see what effect the insulin dose is having on bg to understand the full picture. Caninsulin is a fast-acting insulin and may drop the bg quite quickly, and be "used up " well before the end of the 12-hour cycle. Ideally the vet should perform a curve which means testing every two hours from pre-shot to pre-shot... by plotting those results on a graph you can see what's going on. We'd expect to see a gentle "smile" shape curve, ie starting at the highest bg number, dropping gradually about halfway through and then gradually rising again...that's the ideal although often with Caninsulin you will see a steeper drop and faster rise, ie a "curve" with straighter lines if that makes sense. I'd have a word with the vet if I were you about doing a curve, and then discuss the results.

As for "definitely diabetes" v possible acro or Cushing's - I think the vet must be saying that Tinkerbell's diabetes is steroid-induced, which does seem to be the case if there are no other obvious symptoms. As for your vet calling the RVC, you could certainly suggest that he does this if Tinkerbell doesn't show signs of improvement... sometimes just a chat on the phone with a real expert can be useful to the vet. Vets are like our GPs - GPs treat all kinds of problems but don't necessarily have specialisms and often refer patients to specialists, so vets shouldn't feel any differently if they have reached a stage where they need some support.

As for meters - good idea to get one needing a very small sample of blood but I'm not familiar with the one you mention. Accu Chek is normally a good brand though so I'd probably go for it and start reading how to use it (and there are loads of links we can give you to learn how to get blood, normally from kitty's ear) before Tinkerbell comes home. Do you know when that's likely to be?

36. Elizabeth and Bertie

Fiona, I was a little surprised that your vet is only testing twice a day...
    As Diana says above, that is not sufficient to understand how the insulin is working in the kitty's system. It's important to know what is happening in between insulin shots (especially at the lowest point of the cycle). Without that info, it is not possible to tell whether the insulin dose is appropriate...
    Is the vet taking blood from the edge of the ear? Or trying to get it from her leg...? (Most people use the edge of the ear, which shouldn't really bother the kitty much at all...)

I feel as though I'm being a bit thick because, since there's now no ketones, and no evidence of other illness (is that right?) I'm not sure why Tinkerbell is still at the vet... :oops:
    Is the vet doing anything at the moment that you couldn't actually do yourself at home...? (I do realise that you are out a lot of the time at the moment, so is that the reason..?)

Eliz

Monica & Josie, Diana&Tom and Fiona1 like this.
  37. Diana&Tom

Exactly as Eliz says, Fiona... why exactly is Tinkerbell still at the vet's? She is out of danger now so should be ok for you to look after her at home...?

38. Fiona1

Fiona1 Member

Thanks for your responses.
    I've just listened to my stored answerphone messages again and he said that he tested in the afternoon. I will ask him to clarify when he is testing when he calls me today.

I have been looking at some videos online that show it being taken from the ear so was planning to do so. One video I watched, a lady had the cat on her lap in a cat bed, so I've bought a small one to assist with that.

The vet said she will be staying there until her blood sugar levels are stabilised. On Friday just gone, when I went to visit her, he asked if I want to take her home for the weekend (first time I've been offered) but said he would advise against it until she is stabilised, so I thought it better that she is at the vets? To be honest, I'm not keen to take her out this week, if she isn't stabilised, as I'm working Monday-Friday but come Friday evening, I could collect her, especially seeing as it's the bank holiday weekend. I was under the impression that she needs to be there until she is stabilised. If I did take her out this week, the longest day that there would be nobody home is 7.45-3.30. Do you think this could be dangerous?

Also, when I give my other non-diabetic cat the same food, do I need to give it to her gradually? Could it be dangerous to suddenly change it? She is 2 years old with no health conditions. She once had a seizure when she was around 10 months but hasn't had one since. Luckilly, both my cats are more keen on wet food, so I shouldn't have a problem with getting them to eat it.

I'm also a bit worried about the cats being re-introduced while I'm at work. They generally get along fine but I wouldn't want Tinkerbell's BG to increase due to stress.

39. Kris & Teasel

I've been following this thread and will share my thoughts. I'm not a vet so am going by what I've learned here on FDMB and with treating my own very hard to regulate kitty (2 years, 3 different insulins):
    • Is your vet keeping your kitty there until Tinkerbell stabilizes/regulates/shows good control of BG? This can take weeks if not months and is something that you can undertake at home with the help of people here.
    • If DKA is past a daily check for urine ketones can be done at home quite easily and we can give you some tips on how to do it.
    • If your vet is basing his/her opinion on Tinkerbell's level of BG control on two tests a day AM and PM that isn't sufficient. She might well be a lot lower in the middle portion of the cycle and higher at the ends. If that's the basis for the vet's dosing decisions, she could be on the wrong dose - maybe too high.
    • I'm not sure why the BG test requires a more painful, intrusive blood draw from a leg vein when a quick ear prick will do for their pet meter.
    • She could possibly have acromegaly or Cushings at the same time as diabetes although you have no evidence of that yet and no testing has been done.
    • If her diabetes was steroid induced, stopping steroids can sometimes lead to remission. If steroids are essential to treat another serious condition, then the insulin can be dosed around that.
    This is from the US Vetsulin website. That's what Caninsulin is called in the US:
    http://www.vetsulin.com/vet/Cats_Monitoring_About.aspx

If this is possible for you now, here's what I'd suggest:
    1. If Tinkerbell is well enough to go home with you, take her home.
    2. Buy yourself a supply of low carb wet food (the UK members here can advise).
    3. Get a human blood glucose meter and a good supply of test strips from a local pharmacy. Ask for one that needs only a tiny blood drop to give a result. UK members here can advise.
    4. Buy a bottle of urine ketone test strips from the same pharmacy.
    5. Read this excellent guide to using Caninsulin and ask a ton of questions: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/beginners-guide-to-caninsulin-vetsulin.186099/

40. Kris & Teasel

And I'll add: we all had to struggle with doing things differently from what our vet wanted. I know I did and I like my vet a lot. She even has a special interest in feline diabetes although she's a general practitioner. However, my cat confounded her and she didn't know what to do. When I finally took matters into my own hands he made a lot of progress - still a very tricky kitty but doing well.

FYI: there's a member on the Lantus forum who's a small animal vet herself with a hard to regulate kitty. She's put aside her vet hat and has been willing to learn from the very high level of member expertise on that forum. It's amazing to follow her threads (Janine and Floyd).

Fiona1, Monica & Josie and Diana&Tom like this.
  41. Diana&Tom

Fiona, Kris's comments above are exactly right. You don't have to keep Tinkerbell at the vet. You are well able to care for her at home. But if you feel she is being better looked after there for the time being, and you can afford it (has the vet given you an estimate of costs?) it is your decision. I'd say that you are pretty well informed now, and in a position to discuss with your vet exactly what the overall situation is... and make a decision. We will support you whatever you choose to do. And keep asking questions!

42. Tilou

Tilou Member

I can see many others helping with your questions, so I will keep this brief...

Don't worry about feeding your non diabetic cat the same as Tinkerbell. I put my other 20 year old cat on the same regime as Bob and he's loving it!

43. Monica & Josie

Monica & Josie Member

Hi Fiona,
    It seems that you are getting some really good all round advice from the ladies above, I could only repeat and back up their great suggestions and questions raised.

There was one thing I thought of that might make things a little bit easier and less stressful for you both at the beginning..
    You said previously that Tinkerbell was eating Sheba fine flakes in jelly.
    This is actually on the approved UK cat food list for being very low in carbs and it contains a decent amount of meat so if Tinkerbell is still happy to eat it maybe you could carry on feeding this.
    Once you feel more confident about the whole testing, injecting and monitoring routine maybe then you could start trialling out all the various food you ordered..?
    Might help you having to deal with one less thing straightaway and you can focus on the most important ones..

Fingers and paws crossed you will be able to give us some good news soon!

Fiona1 and Diana&Tom like this.
  44. Monica & Josie

Monica & Josie Member

Oh and more thing, never be afraid to challenge your vet if you have any questions or something doesn’t feel right.
    They can give their opinion and suggestions but as owner and 24/7 caregiver the ultimate decision should be yours.
    I had to ditch my first vet because he was clueless and was guessing doses and treatment.. I had no idea as I trusted my vet always but after telling the FDMB board members the things he said and he was doing they made me realise that Josie wasn't in good hands and had to take her away.
    Our current vet is specialised in Feline Diabetes so much more knowledgable and has a good idea about what she’s doing.
    We still locked horns at the beginning as she was adamant about putting Josie on prescription food and I refused it! We disagreed slightly on treatment and dosing as well but mostly we've been on the same page.
    One year later she told me that she’s never come across any pet owner who became as confident and knowledgeable about feline diabetes as I am and she very much respects that. She was also very impressed with the online spreadsheet we all use to keep a prompt record of kitty's BG readings..
    She also admitted that I was right about certain things yay!:cat: and she even learnt a few things from me! We have a mutual respect for each other now and an understanding of having Josie's best interest at heart.
    A year ago I knew nothing about Feline Diabetes and what it involves. All my knowledge comes from spending endless nights reading up about Feline Diabetes and Feline Nutrition online and the posts here, asking questions and getting support from the very knowledgeable ladies here on the board and gaining experience day by day after a very overwhelming, stressful and shaky start.

All in all what I’m trying to say is that don’t be shy to disagree with your vet if your gut feeling ( or the board members..) say otherwise because at the end of the day you are in charge.. and don't worry, in time you will be a pro at this sugar dance!:)

45. Diana&Tom

Good advice from Monica above, who I have to say is a shining example of how a newbie to FD and this board can read, research and make considered, confident decisions about how to treat her cat in quite a short space of time. Take note of all the points Monica is making and you won't go wrong.

In fact, Monica has done so well that she has recently graduated in BA Feline Nutrition and is now studying for her Masters in Advanced Feline Nutrition.

(Yes that last para is a joke but it's not a million miles from fact!!!)

46. Fiona1

Fiona1 Member

Thanks again for the responses.

Kris, she doesn't need steroids. Initially I took her to the vets as she dry heaved a few times. This coincided with me giving her new treats that I came in a cat subscription box. The vet gave her a 2 day steroid and antibiotic and said to bring her back 2 days later as he thought it was an allergy. I took her back 2 days later and she hadn't dry heaved since. He gave her another antibiotic and this time a 10 day steroid, as a precaution he said. 4 days later, she was extremely lethargic (which I now realise was the ketoacidosis) so I took her back. He gave her another 2 day steroid and antibiotic. The day after, she was even more lethargic so I took her to the emergency vets as it was a Sunday and they kept her in. They then phoned me to say she has diabetes and ketoacidosis. So there should be no need at all for her to have steroids and the vet confirmed he hasn't given her any more.

Do you think it's ok to take her home seeing as I'm going to be working this week?

Diana, my vet hasn't given me an estimate of costs yet. He said he would this weekend but didn't when he called. It was £520 for the night in the emergency vets, so I'm hoping it won't be anything like that per night!

Monica, that sounds a good idea about starting with the Sheba fine flakes, so I will do that. I've got 3 boxes in stock currently. Any idea of the amounts I should be feeding? She is 4kg. That's very encouraging to hear that you've picked all that up in the time you've been here.

Just to update you all, my vet phoned and said he is testing her BG twice per day. He said he tested it yesterday morning and it was 30.1 in the am so he gave her 5 units of insulin! In the evening, it was 8.7 (before this, the lowest has been around 19) so he didn't give any more insulin. He tested her this evening and she was 22.8 so he gave her 5 units again.

If I take her home tomorrow, should I lower this amount because it seems quite high in a short space of time from what you've all said?

47. Diana&Tom

Hmmm interesting bg readings... the 8.7 is a lovely number, not normally shootable (by which we mean, not safe to shoot - we usually say withhold insulin at a pre-shot number of 10 or 11) so I'm very glad the vet didn't give insulin then. The good news is that she is clearly responding to the insulin, but as we said earlier, without mid-cycle numbers we can't comment usefully on whether the dose is about right or not. I'm very interested to know why the vet isn't doing a curve.

5u is a high dose and personally I would lower that by quite a bit if you do decide to take her home. Even at a very high number of 30 or so we don't know if a dose that high is justified. But on the subject of taking her home - have you got a meter yet and tried it out? You need to get yourself kitted out with testing supplies before you bring her home and if you're giving insulin. One of our golden rules here is that we NEVER shoot without testing first and making sure that the bg is a shootable number. So although we're all saying that you can look after her at home, you do need to know what to do to keep her safe, first.

Kris & Teasel and Fiona1 like this.
  48. Fiona1

Fiona1 Member

No I didn't buy one yet. I wasn't sure whether to go for the Accu Check Performa Nano or the Accu Check Mobile. If I get her tomorrow, I'll just head to Boots (got one that opens late on an industrial estate) and buy both and test both on myself first. Absolutely dreading it as I can't usually stand needles/injections to myself and can't usually watch when given to cats but I will do it!

49. Fiona1

Fiona1 Member

Also, I've read that it's not good to give treats. I don't eat meat or fish myself, so can't give a bit of mine as a treat, but could I for example, cook a cod fillet and give her a bit? Or is it best to strictly stick to cat food?

50. Diana&Tom

I strongly advise that you get whatever meter you think asap, test it on yourself and watch videos showing how to test your cat. It might take a bit of practice.
    Believe me, many of us here don't like needles either but as you say, we will do it for our cat!

51. Diana&Tom

A freeze-dried chicken treat such as Thrive is fine. It's the cheap carb-filled ones like Whiskas or Dreamies that you want to avoid.

Fiona1 likes this.
  52. Fiona1

Fiona1 Member

Thanks Diana, going to buy both in my lunch break tomorrow then! I finish work at 6.30 tomorrow and the vet closes at 6.30 so don't think he will let me collect her tomorrow anyway. Finish at 6 on Tuesday so will be able to get her then.

Monica & Josie and Diana&Tom like this.
  53. Diana&Tom

Great - but you don't really need two meters at this point... they aren't cheap and you may find it confusing comparing two different types. I'd ask the pharmacist which is simpler to use and go for that. But up to you of course.

54. Fiona1

Fiona1 Member

I'm hoping to start with the Accu Check Mobile but I just wanted a back up in case it doesn't work well (being a smaller amount of blood needed). Will just stick to that one and want the other really as a back up.

Diana&Tom likes this.
  55. Fiona1

Fiona1 Member

I'm currently watching some videos which show BG testing. I can see they test on the rim of the ear in a vein. Does this mean when I test on myself I should go for a vein?

56. Kris & Teasel

That's good. Steroids are a definite complicating factor.

I have no proof of what I'm about to say but these numbers shout "Too high a dose!" to me. A full curve would provide the proof. Here's the usual scenario:
    • BG is high so a large insulin dose is given
    • BG drops low and stays low 12 hours later because of the longer duration a high dose can have
    • BG is too low for insulin 12 hours later so dose is skipped
    • rinse and repeat ...
    You said she was given insulin yesterday morning but not yesterday evening. Did she receive insulin this morning? It's unclear in your post. You mentioned another 5 unit dose given this evening.

Diana&Tom and Fiona1 like this.
  57. Kris & Teasel

58. Monica & Josie

Monica & Josie Member

Hi Fiona,
    Let me start with this - I am getting quite concerned about the vet increasing the dose so rapidly within so little time.
    Increasing the dose is not always the straightforward answer to high blood sugar levels. In fact if the dose is too high it can actually really muddle up the bg readings, not to mention becoming dangerous for kitty.
    Too much insulin can push the BG levels quite low in mid-cycle putting the cat at a considerable risk of having a hypo.
    If your vet is only treating Tinkerbell for diabetes now I believe the dose should be considerably lower.
    Please raise your concerns to the vet regarding the dosage.
    I was actually very concerned to read that he increased the dosage to 5u and only testing twice a day not even trying to get the lowest mid-cycle number ( nadir ) readings to get a better idea of how is Tinkerbell responding..

As for the meter I just watched the Accu Chek Mobile device video once again and although I might be wrong but I’m still not convinced that it is easy or straightforward to use to test a cat. It looks like that it is designed for testing humans on the go with an easily controlled finger in mind to prick and not an animal’s ear.
    We’ve been using the Accu Chek Performa for a year now and it is quite reliable..
    Not sure if you should ask the pharmacist in Boots though, we told them in another town once that we were buying the test strips and lancets for our diabetic cat, they became funny about it and refused to sell them to us as ‘they were intended for human use..’ It was quite distressing for us as we ran out and really needed both things ASAP.. So maybe do your research beforehand..?

As for the feeding we were recommended 3-4 pouches of Sheba spread out throughout the day for our then 4.2kg cat so almost the same as Tinkerbell.
    Treats are fine to give to your cat, you just have to make sure that they don’t contain added carbs or sugar.
    We give HiLife freeze dried chicken breast cubes and Natures Menu pure meat chewy treats.
    They made testing so much easier as most cats eventually learn that they are getting a nice reward at the end so they are willing to sit more patiently and tolerate all the poking better.
    Would definitely recommend the ear for testing, watch as many YouTube videos as you can to get a better idea..

59. Monica & Josie

Monica & Josie Member

When you test on yourself you can just prick the end of your middle finger right in the soft bit in the middle..
    With kitty there’s a really good photo demonstrating the best place to pierce for a blood sampl, I’ll try to upload it for you here. 1FECEC49-B8F9-4886-A2AB-74239D10AF8D.jpeg .

60. Diana&Tom

Ref getting the meter, Fiona - probably best not to say you're buying it for use on a cat. I doubt it's actually illegal for a pharmacy to sell for other than human use, but it's just very unusual for people to test their cats' blood glucose so you might get a funny look! Let us know later how that goes and what you get.

And I can't stress enough the importance of being able to test both pre-shot and at least once (ideally during the first half of the cycle)... as we've said, Caninsulin works fast and you don't want to risk too big a drop when you're still getting to grips with testing. So get the meter and practise until you're confident in its use. And also err on the side of caution, dose-wise, to start with at least.

I'd suggest having a good chat with the vet about all this, make sure he is happy for you to shoot his prescribed dose at home and discuss with him whether it would be prudent to give a lower dose (which we here would definitely suggest). Oh and ask him to show you how to inject as well.

Not trying to put you off bringing Tinkerbell home, far from it, we've all been saying she doesn't need to be at the vet, would prefer to be at home, and I'm sure you'd love to have her back. I just want you to be confident in using the meter to keep her safe as well as fully understanding the need to dose carefully.

If you haven't already, print out the beginners' guide we've mentioned - it will take you through everything you need to know and having a printed copy means it is easily accessible at any time.

Best of luck!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  61. Fiona1

Fiona1 Member

Hi,
    I bought an accu check performa nano today and 50 strips separately. I put the first lancet in but stupidly took it out before use so the first 6 were wasted. I then used the next one and it took me 5 tries to get a reading of myself. Got there with level 4. Will need to buy more of those. Which level should i use for a cat seeing as the ear is so thin?
    Vet called today and left a voicemail. Said she was 23 this morning, 15 in the afternoon and 22 in the evening, so he has tested her 3 times today even though he said 2.
    I’ve decided i am going to collect her on Friday. Im just worried about me not being here in the day to begin with, especially at the nadir. Will be off work on sat, sun and mon to take readings.
    I did waste some money this morning. Joined a vet service where you can call them 24/7 and enquired about caninsulin but they wouldnt give me any advice as shes in the vets!
    Thanks again for the responses and the picture.

62. Kris & Teasel

Many of us end up using the lancet alone and free handing the poke. It can be easier to see where you're poking without the whole trigger mechanism. It's fairly common to end up poking right through kitty's ear but they heal very quickly.

Another hint: to avoid having your meter timing out before you get a good blood drop, insert the strip only part way, get your blood drop then push the strips all the way in just before bringing it up to the drop.

What kind of food is the vet giving her? Is it low carb wet food? Anything else can elevate BG quite a lot. Vet stress might also be an ongoing factor affecting her BG.

Fiona1, Tilou and Diana&Tom like this.
  63. Diana&Tom

Well done Fiona, this is progress - you've got a meter and have discovered the need to practise! So now you have a few days to get your ducks in a row before you collect Tinkerbell - watch videos about testing cats and read, read, read about Caninsulin's action... knowledge is power as they say so the more you know and understand, the better all round.
    We'll be here if you have any more questions, which I expect you will - this is just the start of your FD journey!

64. Fiona1

Fiona1 Member

Thanks for the tips and advice. He is giving her Hills KD wet food currently.
    Which free hand lancets do you all buy please? Are they different sizes? Is it good to get more than 1 size, if so, just in case?

65. Diana&Tom

Hi Fiona, I'll leave others who know more about lancet sizes to answer you on that one.

Briefly on the subject of food though - we tend to say that prescription diets aren't the best. They may have certain ingredients that are useful for some conditions, but many if not most contain starch/sugars so not ideal for diabetics. You may like to check out the Hills website to see what it says - it should list ingredients. TBH you can't go wrong with a good quality off the shelf brand such as the ones you've seen on the UK food list... they tend to be higher in meat content and lower in carbs than a lot of prescription foods. Again, you might like to chat to your vet about this - if he feels that a kidney prescription food is appropriate, ask him why.

66. Monica & Josie

Monica & Josie Member

Hi Fiona,
    Glad you got the meter and started practising. We tried the Lancet pen a few times on the first day but found it a bit fiddly and tricky to see where to poke so we gave up and also use free hand single lancets.
    I believe the ones you got with your Accu Chek device should be suitable for this.
    I find that the 28 gauge ones are the easiest to use.
    Took a photo of the ones we currently use from Boots but you can get any good quality ones online.
    We use a round make-up removal cotton pad to put on top of Josie’s ear then fold it back slightly and pierce from the inside. See photo attached..
    At the beginning we used a little flashlight behind her ear to see where the veins were..
    It’s a bit tricky to get the blood going when you start but the more poking you do the more capillaries will form and the easier it will get.
    I was struggling at the beginning to pierce kitty’s ear properly but again with practice I mastered the poking skills and Josie who hated it first became calm and more forgiving thanks to the treats.
    Nowadays she is like a little stripy dream-cat, when she hears the test strip tube lid popping open, she comes and jumps up the table to sit down and waits patiently to be tested.. and gets a little kitty facial massage alongside her treat:cat:
    In time you will figure out what is Tinkerbell’s favourite reward.
    Might sound a bit silly but you can practise on a thick plant leaf with the cotton pad behind how to hold them AB61F0D2-9424-42B3-9FBF-9731EC114BA5.jpeg together and pierce through...:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    Fiona1, Diana&Tom and Kris & Teasel like this.
  67. Diana&Tom

I would just add to Monica's post above - if you warm the ear a little it will help the flow of blood. If you go with the cotton wool pad idea, rinse it in warm water and then squeeze dry before you hold it to the ear. Should help. You can do the same thing with a small piece of facial wipe or similar - cut a strip and fold it into a small pad to use in the same way. You'll soon work out what suits you best. Remember the warm bit though - and the treats!

68. Fiona1

Fiona1 Member

Just to update you all. I bought some lancets and did it free hand today to myself. Unfortunately I couldn't see the accu chek softclix on Boots' website or in their store (found on Amazon and ordered via Express delivery yesterday but haven't turned up yet), so I bought another brand. Also got kitted out with cat food. Got Natures menu, Natures menu country hunter, Leonardo, Bozita, Little Big Paws, Granatapet, Catz Fine Food, Grau, Miamor, Mister Sturzy, Sheba Fine Flakes, Gourmet Gold (only for potential low blood) and Porta 21 dry food as I wasn't sure if I should get her onto this new diet gradually and this is low carbohydrate (possibly won't use, depending on BG levels). Really great list!

Vet said whatever happens with her blood sugar levels, she will be coming home this weekend! :) Which I told him I completely agree with. I think I've got the hang of the blood testing via watching a lot of videos now, so I am now going to start on the videos of giving insulin. Also managed to see the 'sweet spot' on my other cats ear, although I didn't test her.

Can I just ask a few questions please:
    *If I accidentally hit the vein in the ear while blood testing, is that dangerous?
    *I've seen my vet give insulin by pulling the scruff of the back of her neck up. Is this the best place? Is there anywhere dangerous to hit around that area like a nerve for example? Does the skin need to be pulled up to administer the insulin?

I've watched 1 video so far for giving insulin. I've just looked on Youtube. Are there any good recommendations for videos for giving insulin?

Diana&Tom and Monica & Josie like this.
  69. Fiona1

Fiona1 Member

1 other question, sorry. Ketone strips are on their way, also coming from Amazon. Is there a specific type though? Or are any ok? Also, with people who have multiple cats, I take it the only way to test is to shut the cat in a room for a night with a very thin lining of litter (separate from the other cat)?

70. Monica & Josie

Monica & Josie Member

Hi Fiona,
    all sounds very promising and you’ve made such a progress already with most of the essential basics, nice one!:)

As for hitting the vein whilst testing, it will happen. It’s ok just be prepared that on a bad day within seconds there could be a jolly good amount of blood, especially if kitty shakes her head. Then it will go everywhere.. lol
    Just remember once you tested her just grab a piece of folded tissue or the cotton wool pad you were using for the poke, fold it in half, pinch the ear and hold it firmly on the area for a few seconds.
    This should stop the bleeding and prevents bruising as well.
    I’ve got several Aloe Vera plants at home, I also rub a bit of fresh Aloe gel on Josie’s ears if they look particularly battered so they have a cooling effect, antibacterial and contain several healing properties.
    You can also use over the counter antiseptic cream for the same reasons.
    As for injecting the easiest and safest way is to pinch and pull up the skin between the shoulder blades which forms a little ‘tent’ and shoot in the middle of it. Some people practise on a satsuma to get a feel of the needle going in. They shouldn’t feel a thing..

Keep up the good prep work, you’re doing great so far!:cat:

71. Fiona1

Fiona1 Member

Hi everyone, today is the day she comes home! I am collecting her at 6.30.
    Would you all recommend that i just give her sheba fine flakes to begin with? She hasn’t been having dry food at the vets. Shall i start my blood testing tonight? How long should I do it for after she has been given insulin tonight?
    Just to let you all know, her blood sugar was back up to 30 yesterday morning :( she is still having 5 units. Should i lower that? Because the vet said she was at 6bg 2 days ago. Ill discuss lowering with the vet too. Her bg also might drop due to stress at the vets and changing to one of the approved foods.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    Monica & Josie likes this.
  72. Monica & Josie

Monica & Josie Member

Morning Fiona,
    I thought about it long and hard whether I should say this because although I don’t want to confuse you I feel I have to put it out there.
    Others might support this or say completely the opposite but I wanted to give you my take on the case because to me this would make the most sense..
    If Tinkerbell was my cat when I got her home I would start her exclusively on the low carb Sheba Fine Flakes and start her Caninsulin dose all the way back from 1unit. See how she responds monitor and increase by half unit gradually if necessary to build it up until you get the dose right.
    This way it is safe, you won’t miss the right dose if you start from the very beginning and would significantly lowers risk of a hypo in mid cycle or whenever you’re out so you wouldn’t worry so much about it.
    Some cats respond better to a lower dose and Tinkerbell might be one of them but you won’t know until you give it a try.
    Relaxed home environment, the consistent low carb food and plenty of TLC should reduce her BG to some degree anyway.

Good luck for today and please try don’t worry and don’t panic too much. It will be a little bit overwhelming or a lot! but we’ve all been there and I can tell you that whatever happens things will be ok.
    We can help you and nothing is the end of the world so don’t stress too much if you get things wrong or not sure about something.
    Big hugs, hope all goes well today

Sent from Monica's iPhone SE

73. Diana&Tom

Very pleased to hear Tinkerbell is coming home today, Fiona! OK! So...

Re the Sheba - I don't know the carb content v what the vet has been giving her, but you can check this using a calculator that @Elizabeth and Bertie can give you. The Hills does have sugars so that might be contributing to keeping her bg high, so in theory the Sheba is probably a better bet, but until you make the change we simply don't know.

It's the insulin dose that is the big question mark at the moment. That 5u or 6u looks very high for a recently diagnosed cat, but we don't know what else is at play that might be keeping the bg high and requiring that dose. Also, when you are changing to a lower-carb food, that might lower bg and therefore reduce the need for that dose. It's hard to directly contradict your vet, but most cats are started on a much lower dose - 1u twice a day - and see how they get on with that, increasing only slowly until a dose is reached that is keeping the bg in better levels for most of the day. A bg of 30 at the vet's is not good and does beg the question of whether it is too high, causing a reaction that Kris explained very well a few days ago. So dose is something you need to think very carefully about, discuss with the vet and bear in mind what you've learned here. Personally I would certainly not give 5u. I might drop to 2u and see how that goes - it might still be too much so you might decide to start from scratch at 1u.

As you know, the main thing here is to know how the insulin is working at what dose, with the aim of making it as effective as possible (ie as much as she needs to keep her bg within acceptable levels) and keeping her safe (ie not too much which could risk hypo). Unless you are very lucky, this is not a quick process. It is a fine balancing act and you need to build up more data (bg tests) to gain an awareness of how Tinkerbell *might* respond to a particular dose when she is back home.

Basically, you need to test BEFORE EVERY SHOT and also, in these early stages, at possibly significant points during the cycle as well. So that might mean two hours after the shot (+2), followed by a +4 and so on. With Caninsulin we'd expect a good drop early in the cycle so that's when you need to test to make sure she isn't dropping too much/fast. Later in the cycle we'd expect to see a steady rise. BUT it's important to point out that every cat is different and what we *expect* to see isn't necessarily a certainty.

You will need to log these numbers on a spreadsheet and link it to your signature here so that if you post with any questions, we can see at a glance what dose you've given and how Tinkerbell is responding to it. There are technical types here who can help you set up the spreadsheet quickly, and then it will be easy for you to maintain.

Sorry this is long but I've tried to cover all bases. It may seem a bit overwhelming at first but you'll soon get the hang of it. As I said recently, knowledge is power. There may be more questions so keep asking, we will do our best to help.

Good luck and above all enjoy having Tinkerbell back home!

74. Fiona1

Fiona1 Member

Tinkerbell is home!
    Vet said he gave her 6 units yesterday evening after going up to 30 yesterday. She was at 2 this afternoon! She hasnt had and wont be having insulin today.
    I just tested her bg for the first time and it all went well! She was 7.1. Tried to reward her with a thrive treat but she turned her nose up. Will have to get something else.
    Shes been so happy since she got back. Purring and friendly.
    Vet told me to give her 5 units in the morning but think i am going to try 2.
    Will start the spreadsheet shortly. My vet was very interested that ill be blood testing and asked me to update him. He sounded keen on the idea. Should i test tonight seeing as she isnt having insulin?
    I am so grateful for everybodys advice! I almost had a panic attack when the forum was down earlier! Lol

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  75. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

S
    So glad your fur baby is home, it's difficult when they, or we, have to be away.

Fiona1 likes this.
  76. Diana&Tom

Gosh - that bg of 2 is a million miles away from 30... and 7.1 this evening? I am very curious to know what has caused this sudden change... bg is often higher at the vet but not usually that much higher! So she hasn't had insulin all day - that's even better because the 7.1 is a normal number so maybe things are settling down. Or, another possibility is that her last insulin dose was high enough to be very long-lasting.

There's no need to test tonight as you're not giving insulin - she can't hypo in that case. Although I'd be interested to know if she stays in nice single figures, so maybe you could test again and see what's what then.

I would persevere with the Thrive treats - most cats have a taste for them but if Tinkerbell doesn't, do try another treat. And you don't have to waste the Thrive, you can crumble it up and sprinkle it on top of her food.

See what tomorrow brings ref dose. If she is still in single figures you certainly do not want to be giving any insulin at all.
    Yes, try to get the spreadsheet set up and meanwhile celebrate this good news. And very well done for getting the testing knack so quickly!

Fiona1 likes this.
  77. Diana&Tom

Fiona, just to clarify/emphasise - please be very wary of dosing tomorrow unless Tinkerbell is really high again. That bg of 2 was too low for comfort - my guess is that the high dose dropped her a bit too low and we wouldn't want you to be facing a number like that at home (I imagine the vet knew it was low but was monitoring closely). It may be, as I said just now, that a combination of factors has caused a positive change in Tinkerbell's diabetes, but this is still a very early stage and even a lowish dose now might be too much. Remember - 1u or 2u may sound tiny to us, but it may not be for the cat.

What time tomorrow morning do you plan to test? Maybe Monica and I can look in and comment then.

Fiona1 likes this.
  78. Fiona1

Fiona1 Member

Yeah i wont thanks :) got the beginners guide print out which says dont shoot 11 or under.
    Vet has been doing it at 9 but i wanted to do it earlier as ill be leaving at 7.15 1 day this week. Was thinking 7 but should i make that change gradually or not as she hasnt had insulin today?

79. Diana&Tom

It doesn't really matter if you test (and possibly shoot) at 7am tomorrow, as it will be longer than the usual 12 hours since the last Caninsulin shot (in other words, the last dose should be out of her system so should be safe to shoot IF necessary). At this point I'm not sure what to suggest ref dose as it will depend so much on the bg number you get... def no shot at 11 or under, but the dilemma is what to shoot if above that... if only slightly above, you could give a token dose, say 0.5u; if well into the teens or higher you could probably give a little more, maybe go for 1u and try the "starting from scratch" approach. Hmmm. I wonder if @Kris & Teasel or @Elizabeth and Bertie have any suggestions?

Fiona1 likes this.
  80. Fiona1

Fiona1 Member

That sounds a good idea (from the little i know) will test her shortly, out if interest. Here she is

Attached Files:

81. Diana&Tom

Oh bless her! She's gorgeous! I'm sure she's sooooo pleased to be home.

Fiona1 likes this.
  82. Fiona1

Fiona1 Member

Just did a reading just now and it was 9. She hasnt eaten since this morning. Gone to the bowl a few times, sniffed it and walked off. Must be used to the hills. Vet gave me the rest of the box. Should i give her any or just stick with sheba fine flakes for now? She liked this before she went in.

83. Kris & Teasel

Your earlier post said you were going to try 2 units. Good call. The 5+ unit dose your vet recommended seems far too high. Is that 2 u what you did this evening? If so, how long since the shot had it been when you got this test result? Try hard to get her to eat. Sprinkle dry parmesan cheese on her Sheba food or try adding tuna water, etc.

Fiona1 likes this.
  84. Fiona1

Fiona1 Member

She hasnt had any insulin all day because the vet gave her 6u last night and she was 2 this morning

85. Kris & Teasel

OK. It's obvious, then, that 6 u is far too high. If she's at 9 for her BG now and hasn't had insulin in 24 hours that's further proof of that dose being far too high. I suggest no insulin tonight, try hard to get her to eat and get one more test before you go to bed. Post here in the morning with her BG test result.

86. Fiona1

Fiona1 Member

Just gave her little big paws food, from the approved uk food list. Took it to her and she jumped up and is eating!

Monica & Josie likes this.
  87. Kris & Teasel

Excellent! Try what I suggested in my post #85 above.

Fiona1 likes this.
  88. Fiona1

Fiona1 Member

Thanks will do :)

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  89. Monica & Josie

Monica & Josie Member

Hi Fiona,
    Pleased to hear she’s at home and happy, also that your testings are going well.
    Very interesting bg numbers, although must say not totally unexpected.
    Tinkerbell could be one of those cats whose blood sugar can be be managed and kept under control just by a low carb diet itself. But maybe not.
    Regular testing is key and time will tell..
    Glad you found something that she’s happy to eat now, maybe try to stick with that brand for a little while if you can.
    Btw my cat couldn’t care less about Thrive treats either so I guess it’s just not for everyone. Had to bin it at the end..
    6u is far too high, pleased you’re planning to reduce it. A BG reading of 2 is way too low as well, maybe with the lower dose you will get more balamced numbers..
    Very sweet pic, hope she will settle back in all alright.

Diana&Tom and Fiona1 like this.
  90. Fiona1

Fiona1 Member

She growled this time as i was holding her :(

91. Kris & Teasel

This means she needs some insulin but likely a much lower dose. Leave her alone until tomorrow AM and test before her breakfast. It's best if she has no food for at least two hours prior to this test. The number then should give a clue as to a dose to try. Post her AM test number here. I won't be up yet so I think that if she's above 11 (no matter how high) try 2 u. It'll take a few days to know if this is in the broad "good dose range".

92. Fiona1

Fiona1 Member

Morning all. She is 20.1 this morning. Food taken away 2 hours ago. Gave her little big paws again just now and she is eating. Not eaten much of it though.

Update: now she has eaten a little bit of natures menu country hunter.

Not a big amount but she doesnt tend to eat loads in 1 go

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  93. Diana&Tom

I think you'll be ok to give 2u but if you're around today to test every couple of hours that would be great. Post here when you can so anyone looking in can see updates and comment if necessary. Before you set up your spreadsheet to show data, please note your numbers like this:

AMPS (morning pre shot) - xx (bg number) / x units given
    +2 - xx
    + 4 - xx
    +6 - xx
    +8 - xx
    +10 - xx
    PMPS (evening pre shot) - xx / x units given

These results would constitute a curve and allows us to see at a glance how a particular dose is working.

94. Elizabeth and Bertie

You're doing great, Fiona. :bighug:

I know it can be upsetting when a kitty reacts to being tested. But don't worry, they are incredibly forgiving (bless them!). And as you both get more used to the testing process it will get a whole lot easier.

It does indeed look like the dose was too high. And it may take a few days for the numbers to properly settle out as Tinkerbell's body settles down from her blood glucose levels bouncing around.
    Do be kind and patient with yourself. You're doing a great job!

((((Reassuring hug))))

Kris & Teasel, Fiona1 and Diana&Tom like this.
  95. Monica & Josie

Monica & Josie Member

Morning Fiona,
    20.1 is still not bad considering she had no insulin the day before.
    Did you go with the 2u dose?
    How did you find injecting?
    Yes try to do the testing every 2 hours for a curve but if kitty is getting very agitated or growling at you don’t worry and don’t force it too much, just try to do as many as you can between the essential A.M. and PM ones

96. Fiona1

Fiona1 Member

I did do 2u but i just wasnt sure if it went in. It seemed wet around the area :( i didnt give any more.
    Thank you for all your comments :)

Diana&Tom and Monica & Josie like this.
  97. Diana&Tom

If the area seems wet it was probably what's called a fur shot, Fiona - easily done. Correct decision to not shoot again as some of the insulin might have been injected. Always err on the side of caution when giving insulin - it is a powerful substance. This will all get easier as you go along - it's surprising how quickly it all seems second nature!

Fiona1 likes this.
  98. Monica & Josie

Monica & Josie Member

You can usually feel it going in as you need to push through the skin and that gives a little resistance.
    Other way you can check is squirt a little drop of the insulin onto your index fingertip, rub it together with your thumb and smell it. Insulin has a very particular smell.
    This way if you’re not sure next and see Tinkerbell’s fur a bit wet just rub your finger onto the wet patch and smell it.
    It usually helps us to see whether it went in or not. Furshots can and will happen. One thing is very important, do not give a second shot if you are unsure.
    Well done for injecting in spite of your fears!

99. Elizabeth and Bertie

Fiona @Fiona1 ,

As Monica says above, if Tinkerbell is agitated or growling, don't stress too much about testing every two hours throughout the cycle.
    In fact, with Caninsulin, the things you most need to know will usually happen in the first half of the insulin cycle.

When doing a Caninsulin 'curve' it can actually be helpful to test hourly initially, until you are past the peak (lowest blood glucose) of the cycle and the blood glucose is beginning to rise. After that testing isn't so important, unless you want/need to know how fast the blood glucose is rising.

Many cats will have the lowest blood glucose at around 4.5 hours after the shot. But it could be earlier or later. (On FDMB some cats have had 'nadirs' as early as +3 and as late as +7.)

Caninsulin can start acting quite quickly. And it can drop the blood glucose steeply in some cats. If it is dropping too fast, or threatens to drop too low, it is often possible to 'steer' the blood glucose with food.

For more info see:
    Beginner's Guide to Caninsulin (Vetsulin)

Do remember to reward yourself for your efforts. Chocolate, wine, and bubble baths are longtime favourite 'human treats' here at FDMB.... ;)

Eliz

100. Kris & Teasel

Hi Fiona,

I’m very glad you had these ladies to advise you this AM. I agree that her BG wasn’t that high after a long period between shots. Don’t worry about a possible fur shot - it happens to everyone. Yes, insulin has a very strong smell that can be helpful to know if you missed. I always sniff Teasel’s fur after a shot.

The dose of 2 u might not be exactly right. You needed a reduction and it had to be a significant one. Tinker bell might need even less than that. If you’re really struggling with testing get the pre shot test and then another in the +3 to +5 hours after the shot. Do that today even if you think it was a fur shot. More tests would be better but that one would give us a general idea of her response.

I WILL get easier - promise! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.