No insulin until Monday! Help! (And other questions)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by HelloKrystie, Feb 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Ok. On the PMPS as next test time.

1. Put a tiny bit of pressure on the poke site after, to stop the bleeding and avoid a hematoma. You already do this for 10 seconds or so.
    2. Lightly shave a spot on his ear. Very lightly with a safety razor, shave off the fur on the edge of his ear. I did that with Wink at the beginning, to help me see better. (People with light eared cats have no idea how difficult it is to see the blood drop against all that black fur or dark ear edges on a tortoiseshell cat.)
    3. Are you poking the inside of the ear, or the outside more furry side of the ear? (Wink had super long ear "floof" inside his ear, so I shaved and tested the outside, more furry side of his ear.
    4. Test spot should be in a brightly lit location, to help you see the "Sweet Spot."
    5. What is up with the other ear? Damaged? Ear tipped? Cauliflower ear?
    6. You can go farther down the edge of the ear to poke, more towards where the ear joins the head if you need to.
    7. No scar tissue. Chris & China poked her white eared kitty 18,000+ times and never had an issue with scar tissue.
    8. Will Sirius let you ice his ear a bit after? Tiny cold pack might help his ear feel better. But he may run and hide from you instead.

p.s. At PMPS and after, maybe make some microwave popcorn for yourself, but don't share any with Sirius. (Trying to make you laugh. Humor is essential to relieve the stress when dealing with a diabetic cat.)
    Last microwave joke. I promise.

HelloKrystie likes this.
  2. HelloKrystie

HelloKrystie Member

Shave!!!Why didn't I think of that?!? Honestly, the things that are so obvious after they are mentioned are maddening!
    Should I be testing the inside? I just assumed, based on ease-and all of the pictures of the sweet spot that I've seen, that it was the outside surface of the ear I should be poking. I test him with his back to me. I'm sitting on the floor with him, and after I have his ear good and warmed up, and I've thoroughly bribed him with tuna, I place him between my out-stretched legs and go at it from behind him. This way he doesn't see it coming, or goodness forbid I poke him in the eye or something that would kill me inside. I do it in my kitchen, under the florescent lights. It's the brightest spot in my house. If I had an extra set of hands the flashlight trick would be great, but I can't manage it on my own.
    I will start to travel around so I'm not poking the same spot all day. Even through his black fuzz I can see how red his ear is. Thinking about it is even gut wrenching for me.
    18,000?!?!?! I would die! Or at least feel like I was inside!
    I will have to try the ice tonight. I think I have some mini ice packs.

P.S. The joking helps, and as a bust-ass myself, I appreciate it. The little laughs I get out of your quips keeps me sane.

P.P.S. Someone in my office is making popcorn right now....I'm not fibbing...actual popcorn. Oh the irony, your joke has its own scent!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  3. HelloKrystie

HelloKrystie Member

The other ear....I forgot that part....He just doesn't like that ear being touched. Never has. And there is no reason that I know of for it. He's just not about it. He will lay it flat, pull and jerk his head, and do just about anything to prevent me from even rubbing it. I will try again tonight though to give his other ear a little break. I was just trying to make it as stress free for him. Especially in the learning phase. Also, hes not a good bleeder. Still.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  4. Kerri & Tigger

Kerri & Tigger Member

Hi Krystie! Congrats on getting Sirius' spreadsheet up and running! When I first found this site, I honestly thought the SS seemed like overkill, not to mention intimidating. But it took me no time to become a firm believer in it! And you can update it on your phone--just google for the app. Super handy.

I just wanted to encourage you about working with those lower doses. Tigger's spreadsheet is kind of a mess (b/c I switched between my AlphaTrak meter and a human meter a couple of times, for several days at a time). But the main thing you can see is a whole ton of skipped doses. (Also some early crashing from too-high doses; I really think you lucked up with that microwaved insulin. And plus you managed not to go to jail for murder, or anything!)

Anyway--on my SS--you can see Tigger kept landing in spots that were too low for a dose I was comfortable giving, but too high for a comfortable Tigger! And especially important, even when she looked like she might be headed "off the juice," those numbers would creep and climb. I'm excited to be starting on a low-dose plan (Deb is fabulous help; we are so lucky to have her!). I should add--please don't see my chart as a model. My dosing is a study in progress and really specific to my kitty. AND my meter is (usually!) way different from yours. BUT seems like Sirius and Tigger are in similar spots; you're definitely not alone!

Also, I'm not sure if we are allowed to post outside links here or not, but YOGA WITH ADRIENE. YouTube. Free. Funny. Supportive. Gentle. Her videos can really and truly change your life. She has several hundred videos posted; some are real true workouts but plenty are sheer yummy stretching and breathing. If you want recommendations, I'm happy to share favorites!:cat:

HelloKrystie likes this.
  5. Deb & Wink

Outside of ear or inside is your choice.

The littlest things can make such a difference and I never know when I will say something that can make a difference for someone else.

Wink was a longer haired cat, not a domestic short hair. So the blood drop would get lost among his 2-3 inch long hairs on the inside of his ear. As I said, that boy had extra long ear floof! The blood drop would get "lost" before I could get it on the test strip. Outside of ear worked for me.

Once I got better at poking, I did not need to shave the ear anymore.

Some people also trim the injection spot on the side of their cat. So they can see better where they are injecting the insulin.

Keep asking questions. Read posts by other people. What we say is never the same thing twice. Different focuses for different people.

Thanks to Kerri & Tigger stopping in to give you some encouragement. I get way too technical sometimes and forget that part. It's there though, in every post I do. Simply not in the words I use. But in the fact I'm helping you with other info. "Read between the lines is what I'm saying. The love is there for you and your cat Sirius."

Kerri & Tigger, outside links are fine. Relaxing with yoga or Tai Chi is great for mind and body.

Kerri & Tigger likes this.
  6. Deb & Wink

Krystie, your thread has gotten so long, it's gone to a second page.

Would you please start a new thread and put a link to this old one at the top?

You might want to think about posting over in the Prozinc ISG group, since you are using Prozinc insulin. Less busy over there than on Feline Health Welcome & Main forum. It's up to you.

You have some of the basics, SS linked and in your signature, you are home testing, feeding a good food. It may be time to "graduate" to the next level.

Do you think you are ready?

HelloKrystie likes this.
  7. HelloKrystie

HelloKrystie Member

Pmps BL 201. But he was eating when I came in. And...I left him a very small amount of the Purina DM dry. He was eating both the dry, and what was left of his FF. I know, the dry is awful, but I knew he wouldn't eat all of his wet before it went bad, and I wasn’t going to make it home for a while.

picture of what I think is a .25 dose. Thoughts, @Deb & Wink and @Kerri & Tigger?

8. HelloKrystie

HelloKrystie Member

I never think I’m ready, but if it’s time, it’s time. ;)

I was originally considering of posting in the ProZinc group! I should give that a try. So, start a whole new thread over there? Or start a new thread here, with link to the looooong one? Or...both?

9. HelloKrystie

HelloKrystie Member

Hello Kerri! After reading through some other posts, I realized that my SS is actually incorrect. I was thinking the + times were after shooting, not after testing... I might have to a portion of it. Or not, I’m going to need to think about it.

Deb is a life saver, quite literally! I wanted to take a bridge, and Sirius might not have made it if I continued with the dosage his Vet recommended. I owe this community so so much already.

Those links would be amazing, thank you!

10. HelloKrystie

HelloKrystie Member

That picture would probably help :confused:

Attached Files:

11. Deb & Wink

The ISG groups are for members when they get a bit more experience.
    Start a whole new thread over in the Prozinc ISG. Link this loooooong one at the top of the new thread. No need to double post in both forums.

Did not see your picture with the 0.25U. Post again please. Never mind.

Now I see the picture. Yes, that looks like 0.25U dose. Good color with your "test liquid." Gatorade? Vitamin water?

HelloKrystie likes this.
  12. Deb & Wink

You would not be the first person to misunderstand the + hour system we use.

13. HelloKrystie

HelloKrystie Member

So with a BL of 201 do you think I should shoot the .25?
    It’s blue food coloring. Again, all simple reasoning has been I moved from my brain lately. I have Gatorade, cranberry juice, and the bf’s soda that I could have used, instead of making a special trip to the store for food coloring.

14. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

If I may ask a favor. This thread is very long. Could you start a new thread tomorrow?

HelloKrystie likes this.
  15. Deb & Wink

Do not start the new thread tonight. Keep posting in this one.
    Tomorrow is soon enough for the new thread.
    Let's keep the continuity for this block of time going.

Eating?
    Within 2 hours of Pre-shot?
    You might hate me saying this, but I think you want to skip the shot again.

Maybe the tiniest dose of one drop if you think you can do that. Takes practice.

HelloKrystie likes this.
  16. HelloKrystie

HelloKrystie Member

Is this the ProZinc ISG group? (ISG? What does that stand for?

Ok, so keep this thread going, no moving to the ProZ ISG? And keep it here, or still start a new thread linking this one?
    (I know, I’m so sorry, I’m normally not this doofy)

I definitely don’t hate you! Not even as a joke! I’m going to do what’s best for Sirius; shoot or no shoot, it’s what’s what best for him.

Attached Files:

17. Kerri & Tigger

Kerri & Tigger Member

Hey Krystie!
    It looks like they're saying stick with this thread for tonight. Then tomorrow morning start a fresh thread, with a link to this one at the top. You could start your new thread in the ProZinc group. Linking it to this current thread would just give everyone access to the conversation history, after this current thread is no longer being used.

HelloKrystie likes this.
  18. HelloKrystie

HelloKrystie Member

I will start a new thread in the morning! Going to skip a dose tonight, and tomorrow will be a fresh start! Thank you!

Kerri & Tigger likes this.
  19. Kerri & Tigger

Kerri & Tigger Member

Hi Deb! Kristi wrote:
    "After reading through some other posts, I realized that my SS is actually incorrect. I was thinking the + times were after shooting, not after testing... I might have to a portion of it. Or not, I’m going to need to think about it."

--I also thought the +times were after shooting. So, if my AMPS is at 6:00AM, and then I feed and shoot at 6:30AM, my +2 would be 8:30AM. Is that wrong? I feel like I've seen people on the board describe it both ways, that the +hours are time starting from the PS or +hours are time starting from shoot. I plowed through SS instructions and couldn't find it there--just gleaned from other posts.

Susan & Claudio and HelloKrystie like this.
  20. Kerri & Tigger

Kerri & Tigger Member

Fresh starts are wonderful. In the meantime, here's a great wind-down link: Yoga for Bedtime, just an easy relax, about 20 minutes. Or here's a 10-minute "self-care" go-to Or if you sit at a desk a lot:
    enjoy! :)

HelloKrystie likes this.
  21. Deb & Wink

I don't know any longer.
    What the + times are supposed to indicate.
    Maybe someone else can give their take.

HelloKrystie and Kerri & Tigger like this.
  22. Kerri & Tigger

Kerri & Tigger Member

But you know TONS of other things. :cool:

HelloKrystie likes this.
  23. Susan & Claudio

Susan & Claudio Member

Kerri & Tigger
    I also thought the +times were after shooting. So, if my AMPS is at 6:00AM, and then I feed and shoot at 6:30AM, my +2 would be 8:30AM.

Now I'm confused. I thought the same as you. At least that's how I've been posting it. I test at 6:45, feed and shoot at 7. So I thought my +2 would be 9.

Kerri & Tigger and HelloKrystie like this.
  24. Deb & Wink

From the Beginners Guide to Novolin/Humulin/NPH

"Note: On FDMB we describe tests in terms of the number of hours since insulin was given. So, a test one hour after a shot will be ‘+1’; a test two hours after will be, ‘+2’; etc. This system makes things easy to understand if we post on the forum for advice, especially as members live in different time zones around the world."

From the beginner's Guide to Caninsulin/Vetsulin.
    "Note: On FDMB we describe BG tests in terms of the number of hours since insulin was given. So, a test one hour after a shot will be ‘+1’; a test two hours after will be, ‘+2’; etc. This system makes things easy to understand if we post on the forum for advice, especially as members live in different time zones around the world."

From the Beginner's Guide to Prozinc.
    • How to interpret the spreadsheet: “AMPS” is the AM Pre-Shot test (always test before shooting to make sure your cat’s BG is high enough to give insulin). The “U” column is for "Units" (how much insulin you gave). The +1, +2, +3, etc. headings are for how many hours since shooting … so +2 is 2 hours after the shot, +9 is 9 hours after, etc. Since we have members all around the world, saying "he was at 148 at 8pm" doesn't tell us anything; we need to know how long since kitty’s last shot. At the end of a 12-hour cycle, it's PMPS time (PM Pre-Shot) and the whole thing starts over! Here is some additional info on interpreting the spreadsheet: understanding the spreadsheet.
    From the Lantus/Basaglar (glargine) and Levemir (detimir) forum.

Understanding the Spreadsheet/Grid

When in doubt, check the documents on the forum. So I did.

I'm wrong. The +1 is AFTER you give the shot of insulin. Doesn't matter which insulin. Count the hours after you give the shot of insulin.

Even if you "stall" and give the shot later than normal.
    Even if you readjust your shot times.
    Even if you had to delay the shot because of unforeseen circumstances at home or work.

So sometimes, that could end up being 2 hours after your normal pre-shot test and when you gave the insulin.
    Sometimes it could be more or less. If you were delayed at work.
    Makes interpreting the SS more challenging.

25. Deb & Wink

@HelloKrystie you are correct. The + times are counted from when you give the shot of insulin.
    @Susan & Claudio you are correct. The + times are counted from when you give the shot of insulin.
    @Kerri & Tigger you are correct. The + times are counted from when you give the shot of insulin.

26. Susan & Claudio

Susan & Claudio Member

27. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

Is his ear bruised, or red like skin irritation? Maybe try a plain neosporin without the pain relief and see if that makes a difference. It's a shame you can't switch ears, as that makes it much easier. You could try pad testing. Side of pad, not toes. I know it's not something you want to do, but it may bother him less and give his ear a break.

28. Deb & Wink

@Juls and Billy I may have messed you up on the spreadsheet too.
    + hours are counted from the time of the insulin shot.
    Not from the time of the pre-shot test.

29. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

Ditto that the + times are from the time of the insulin injection.

The purpose is to count hours elapsed from the last shot in order to understand when the insulin is kicking, how low it takes the cat’s blood glucose, and generally how your cat is reacting over those hours to the insulin. The clock “resets” every time you give a shot.

The spreadsheets have evolved over the years but I don’t believe that has ever changed.

If a test is done an hour before shot time, then I’d consider it a +11 from the prior shot.

FYI, If you skip a shot, you plot the numbers in the spreadsheet as if you had given the shot, then put “NS” or “0” in the amount column. For example, if shot time is 7 AM and 7 PM, but you don’t have a shootable number in the PM, your 7pm BG test goes in the PMPS cell and you put “NS” in the units column. The PM +2 cell will then technically show the BG 14 hours after the last shot. But this keeps your spreadsheet readable and consistent and the reader can quickly assess that the PM +2 is actually +14 from the last shot based on the. “NS” notation.

I’m sure someone will correct me if things have changed, but that’s how I always understood it (and I joined well before spreadsheets were even used here).

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  30. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

Also, if you’re not sure how to show a delayed or late shot, feel free to peek at a few other spreadsheets or post a new question to see how others are handling.

For late/delayed shots (which happen), I put the PS value in the AMPS or PMPS cell with brackets showing the number of hours since the last shot. Example: PMPS 386 [+16] or 386 @ +16. That means my cat’s BG was 386 when I tested just prior to the PM shot, and that I shot 4 hours late. Knowing that the shot was late sometimes matters when evaluating the numbers. Note that your next shot time will be 12 hours from the shot you just gave.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  31. sandscout

sandscout Member

@Deb & Wink, sorry to make this thread longer, just wondering and wanted to ask you: what kind or brand of safety scissors did you use for trimming your kitty’s ears? ( I think that’s part of my testing problems, he has medium-long fur and I end up poking extra times because it’s so hard to see the blood drops, and he gets aggravated at me.) thank you.
    Susan

Deb & Wink likes this.
  32. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

I've always done it from shot time, but then I tested and shot pretty quickly together, then fed. No worries that my fat boy wasn't going to eat, lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.