Pig 3/1 amps 300; +2 304; pmps 335

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by LuvinThisPig, Mar 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuvinThisPig

LuvinThisPig Well-Known Member

Yesterday's

Are you guys seeing all this YELLOW!?!? Oh man is it gorgeous! He is feeling so much better for it and once we get this constipation back on track, I imagine we will be doing just that much better..

Now, a few questions:

@Wendy&Neko I had said that I was going to cap out the Levemir at one syringe. 30u. However, I am back tracking that decision and let me explain why. These past few days are the first days he has been just about solidly yellow. He is very temperamental with BG changes and will almost always shoot to the moon. I am concerned that if I leverage the R in greater amounts, it will drop him too fast and he will bounce like a ball of flubber... I think if R is used more (and I plan to do so in the future, just slowly) but as a larger part of his dosing schedule, that he will respond in kind. I think that R is a good support system to help pull his numbers down, but I am not so sure that it can do the same role as Levemir and I am not so keen to see what would happen. What are your thoughts?

Secondly, do we know if it is okay to give more than one b12 injection a week? Considering that it is water soluble? He has been unregulated for so long and I worry about things, but he perked up almost immediately following his weekly injection last night. As in, he literally RAN from his perch on the living room table to my bedroom across the house when he saw me going to bed. He RAN. Now, I do have Zoblamine and I suppose these could be added to his daily meals, but I am concerned about it affecting numbers. It is not suppose to, but I swear it made his a bit wonky. You cannot overdose on B12, can you?? Especially if you are peeing as much as Pig, correct?

I am full of weird questions.. :oops:

2. LuvinThisPig

Oh! All of this will be ever so helpful! Thank you so very, very much! I love the idea of building a second tier in the kennel. Yes, I believe that I will be renting a larger vehicle so that I can give him much more room.

And, you echo one of my largest concerns. Pig trying to run. I will say this, he has been leashed trained since about 1 year old and is fully use to a harness. I will always slip a shirt on over that so that he cannot wiggle out of the harness. Anytime we go to the vets, I always make sure he is attached to the harness and leash before I even consider opening a door. Also, I trust NO ONE when it comes to things like that, so I can promise that whenever we are away from home... I am attached to him with a death grip on his lead. Things happen, I know. But, I will be the most careful to avoid them.

However, I will say this. He has been traveling with me ever since he was a bitty kitten. I use to work a District Manager job with Frito Lay and had to travel all over the country. One of the stipulations in taking that job was that they pay for the pet deposit at the hotel rooms so that Pig could come with me. (these were the days before Tail joined us) He is no stranger to travel, but it has been a while.. Some careful planning is needed!

Thank you for your tips above!! I will certainly take advantage of them! This is amazing!

JeffJ likes this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

About R, Pig's not dropping 100 points with 0.75 units, I think you could try an experiment with 1 U of R when you can monitor. Always greedy for better numbers. :)

Regarding the B12, was Pig's b12 level ever tested? Just seems odd to do more if he doesn't need it. I haven't heard of people doing it more often than once a week. I haven't yet seen people have numbers increase due to Zobaline, so I think you are OK to go for it. Just keep in mind it's not supposed to be long term.

Good to hear that Pig is an experienced traveller. That'll make things so much easier. I was dreading the trip to CSU, Neko complained on the 10 minute trip to the vet. I have seen people use a play pen type arrangement in the car instead of/in addition to a carrier. Here is one such example.
    Neko had a harness on when she travelled. I needed it when we flew, cause I had to take her out of the carrier to go through the scanner with her. We did have one member write a list of how to travel with diabetic cats.

JeffJ likes this.
  4. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Glad to hear that Pig is an experienced traveler. Spend some time now making the second tier. I probably spent 4 hours of prep time so that we would have a good trip.

You saw the pics of the dog cage. I spent over an hour wrapping and tying the corners to ensure zero rattles. If I did it again, I would use saran wrap and then tape afterwards. Leo really liked the ability to see out the window when we did the long trip. But he didn't like the trip in general.

So you have "Pig" and "Tail" = pigtail. Theresa will love this story:eek:

Mandy & Rex (GA) likes this.
  5. LuvinThisPig

Yes! I agree. I raised him to 33uL tonight and will add the R back tomorrow. I can raise the scale tomorrow night and see how that goes. Maybe, just maybe, we will touch a blue..??
    No. He was never tested, but I did not need to test him to know he was, honestly. He started mildly favoring his back legs (still can jump and climb fine), which on its own would mean nothing really as he has never reached walking on his hocks. It could just be arthritis in his back legs and lower back. However, he suddenly decided to start eating his poop... :oops: I say this quietly.. I do not want to embarrass him. However, the coprophagia was a very clear indication that he was deficient in B12. I struggled to keep him away from it and then it all stopped as soon as I started the injections. I am just curious if the Zoblamine would help with his mild neuropathy more..

I give Pig the cyanocobalamine which is a better form of b12 for IBS and digestive symptoms. Now, it will convert some of its parts to methlycobalamine which is what is helpful for nerve health. However, it takes quiet a bit of energy from the body and for not much gain. The Zoblamine is the methyl form and I just wonder if this might help his nerve issues more.. ??

Oh! I love this! Thank you!!

JeffJ likes this.
  6. LuvinThisPig

Yes.. Lol.. It is a long story, but the short of it is that Pig was jealous of other cats because he does not have a tail. (he is a manx) Well, so I went and got a Tail for him so that he could have his own. So, really, Tail is Pig's cat. :smuggrin:

And thank you for all your advice! It is invaluable! I love what you did with the cage! I will spend a lot of time researching Leo's tread. I think a lot of your experience can benefit our journey!

JeffJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.