Pig 3/18 amps 250; +4 266; +8 259

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by LuvinThisPig, Mar 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuvinThisPig

LuvinThisPig Well-Known Member

Yesterday's

Well, he is being entirely too stubborn again... I was really pushing for those blues! It looked like we were going to make it too! Oh well, we will try again tonight. I am pushing R at the +4 and am thinking about an increase. I have been dosing .5u over the scale if I give it at the +10 hour. I might choose to raise even more tonight. Not entirely sure yet.

This work schedule has me all messed up. Funds are looking very good for SRT and it might turn out that we fly, if only for cost. Turns out the price of a rental car (gave up my options of a vehicle in light of Pig's medical), gas, and a hotel room for that long far exceed the cost of a plane ticket. One concern. Health requirements. I am particularly worried about breathing. The airlines will not usually let pug nose cats fly for this very reason and he already snores some because of tissue growth. He also has some sleep apnea. Will this be an issue or cause for concern in flying? What are the other health concerns I need to look at going this route? I have just begun researching the option of flying.

At this point, it is about just getting him there and what the better option will be to do that.

2. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I think Wendy flew with Neko the second time from Canada to Ft. Collins. I never have flown one of our cats.

One consideration is all the supplies too. I suppose you could buy them there and donate after you finish. I had a bunch of stuff to support Leo at night and make him comfortable while in the hotel. But I suppose minimum of a litter pan, litter, and some food bowls would do it.

Good to see Pig in the low yellows. It's tough with all his Acro. Hang in there. I hope the SRT is also fast. It was effective fairly quickly with Leo.

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

As Jeff says, I did fly Neko to Denver, then rented a car for the drive from there to Fort Collins. I flew because the road conditions in November would have been dicey for the drive. Neko stayed in a carrier by my feet on the plane. It was like a four hour flight. Certain airlines allow a limited number of in cabin pets. And the carriers must be of a certain size. Soft sided best. I bought a Sherpa. You also need a harness and leash because you unload and carry them through x-ray area. Best tip from someone else who flew, get slip on shoes.

You can get your vet to give you a health certificate, and a letter describing all necessary meds in case security needs to see it. I would ask the vet about your health concerns and flying. I packed a small cardboard box with a garbage bag and small amount of litter in case she needed to go while in transit. She didn't, but used it in the hotel as soon as we got there, and before I had time to buy a litter box and litter. I packed small metal dishes and food (canned). Also water and folding water bowl, which she also didn't use enroute. Neko's stuff was the majority of my carryon luggage. I also packed a bit of her bedding from home and a scratcher mat.

JeffJ likes this.
  4. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

I've flown with healthy cats, but even so, I had them in my arms and at my feet during the flight. Never let them out of my sight. The body harness and leash is crucial. Even the most placid cat gets frightened of all the airport noise and strange people.

Unfortunately , during one wait in line , while carrying my cat, a saga unfolded. A novice security guard, puffed up with new found power, ordered me to step out of the baggage check line Why? I guess it was Max. During the delay and after hearing the loud, grating voice of the security guard, Max stopped cowering in my arms and went into flee-at-any cost mode. Without the body harness and leash, he would have escaped into the airport's caverns. As it was, he drew blood from me. No need here to go into all the idiotic security-check nonsense. I was finally allowed through the line wearing approximately 14 bandages, plastered on me by the security guard, who by now was looking quite chagrinned - not good for job security to have an innocent customer bleeding freely in sight of all. No serious gashes, but painful.

So, next time I must travel with a kitty, I've been advised to fly out of Dallas - a more humane group of guards. Austin, is or was at that time, noted for such behavior. Given what plane travel now "offers" us, I've been checking train service.

MJW likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.