? Pig 4/18 pmps 104; +2 108; +3 95; +5 84; +6 95; +6.5 83; +7 83; +9 76; +11 75; +amps 66 UM.. What???

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by LuvinThisPig, Apr 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuvinThisPig

LuvinThisPig Well-Known Member

Yesterday's

So, Pig did a thing...?? I cannot say what caused this at all. I know, I know.. This is a normal type cycle for the kitties and considering his lowest was 75 then it seems this was just the perfect cycle. BUT, this cycle was boosted with food at every single hour mark. The 2tbs barely even jumped his #'s up at all and did not last long at all either. The problem is, I can't keep shoving food in his throat because he is already full as a tick and that megacolon can't handle so much intake.

If he had raised at all last night I do not think I would be concerned. However, he never really trended up at all. He just kept sliding down like he has been doing consistently the past 2 weeks. I am thinking that a BCS is in order owing to the fact that I cannot be at home to monitor his cycle today. I hate to disrupt his amazing progress, but I would feel much better with knowing he is safe. I do not know how far this downward trend is going to go! I am stalling for a minute to see where his BG goes and awaiting advice....

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  2. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Look at all those greens, how exciting! :D:D:D Since I am new I do not have advice but I will be following as I am curious what others will say too.

What does "uL" and "uR" mean on his SS?

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  3. LuvinThisPig

Well... Nevermind. The ever unpredictable and amazing Pig has made the decision for me. I also think that, perhaps, I need to look at using some precaution and approaching things from an IAA breaking point. As in, I think maybe I need to look at reducing him when he drops below 70. I can always move it back up if need be. I am NOT dosing him today as he just hit a amps of 66. I think tonight I will look at dropping his dose to 53uL and see where that goes. I am tagging the gurus as well..
    @Wendy&Neko
    @Sandy and Black Kitty
    @Stacy & Asia

4. LuvinThisPig

uL is the units of Levemir that I dose him BID (one morning and one night dose) and uR is the amount of Regular Human Insulin (Novolin R - a fast acting insulin with no depot) that I dose when needed.

I know right!?! We have NEVER seen such a thing and I am sort of freaking out! I am new to this territory as well... lol

5. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

6. LuvinThisPig

Grr.. I am a little frustrated. :banghead::banghead::banghead: I wish I had more data at these numbers. I do not want to interrupt his coast, but I also can't monitor tonight. I really hope this does not interrupt things to much. I think if he had had a normal food schedule last night and maintained these numbers then I would not be as worried. However, he ate almost every single hour and I never saw any movement. Maybe that is a good thing and maybe it means that the acro is ramping down and the depot is large enough to overtake it. Ugh... I tried calling into work, but it was a no go. I also have no one to come monitor today, so better safe than sorry.

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

It's a good idea to put notes about extra food given on the SS. Maybe in the remarks section. Did you just give regular low carb food overnight? He did have a lovely almost flat cycle. :D Over time you'll learn what to expect in green and be able to go longer between tests at night. And feeding as you normally would during the night would give better data about what a green cycle looks like, instead of one that may or may not have been propped up by food. Neko's could surf along nicely just with freeze dried test treats. I remember one night she cruised low 50's for several hours on just freeze dried salmon. :rolleyes:

No harm no foul skipping today. He'll be higher tonight but safe since you can't monitor. The larger depot will help. When you have better data you can decide if a BCS would be needed or not. Of course, it's much easier if you know they are green but on the way up.

I don't think you are seeing IAA breaking, just a normal pulsing of the acro tumour. It's a bit early for the IAA to be breaking. It's self limiting, but typically around a year though Neko did 9 months just after her SRT. It's your call on the reduction. The thing with the really higher dose cats is that you have to learn what works for them. There is no set formula. Just try something and take good notes. Know Thy Cat.

It's probably a good idea to see what happens when you reduce anyway. I suspect you'll want to reduce him a little for the road trip so that you won't have to be pulling over to the side of the road and testing. I had a couple tense moments when Neko started freefall on the way back from SRT. In Wyoming all the road stops were closed for miles when I needed to stop and test, and in Washington State some idiot tossed a cigarette on the side of the road and traffic was stopped for fire crews. We were just short of a pullout. And I desperately wanted to test.:mad: Both times she was green when I finally tested.

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  8. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

LOL. That's great.

You know you are lucky right? Pig is eating well. And eating issues plague many of the diabetic kittehs. You are also lucky that Pig is now regulated. It took a lot of work to get to this point. You are lucky because I was never able to regulate Leo during pre-SRT. That boy just bounced around like a tennis ball.

You already know I'm more conservative. Leo rarely goes below 100. Maybe you could reduce the dose a bit so that Pig has some AMPS and PMPS just over 200. It's a challenge because he has so much depot insulin in him.

Leo's SRT car trip:
    During Leo's SRT trip to Ft Collins, I did not test BG much on the road. Leo was not eating much, so I underdosed him for safety. It would have been a scary challenge to deal with a hypo on the road.

The other challenge during the drive - Leo would not pee, except once, when we were in the car. He held it for each of the 4 days of travel. Then he would pee a half pint or so as soon as we got stopped and the litter box setup.

The scariest part of the trip - we were on the last day home, in north Texas near Abilene. I saw the thunderclouds ahead. We got to them and all hell broke loose. I literally have never been in such rain. It was buckets. The cars on the freeway stopped. We were lucky there were no golf ball hail stones with that rain. In 10 minutes, it probably dumped 5 or more inches. Leo hyperventilated for the next hour. We got home that night and he slept about 12 hours.

9. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

Pig! Meowza wowza!

Aw. :( This made my heart pound just to think of it.

10. LuvinThisPig

I did. I have some high carb FF gravy lovers, but want to steer clear because of the phos. I have what I consider to be MC with the DM as it is about 12-13% I believe. I think I really just panicked when I saw the 95 @ +3. I just started giving 1tbs to slow the drop. You are right, I should have let it run its course. I was still feverish and not thinking clearly... :p I am just going to need you on speed dial to make my decisions for me! :woot:

Yes, I am thinking that it will be needed after a pmps of 229. Yet, even that is not all that bad considering! He did not go back to pink and that is good! However, I am thinking a 1/2 BCS next time to see where he will go. If he is still higher than I like then a 2/3 BCS after that. Then, if I can be home on a low cycle like this I will shoot the full dose. I did not continue with the dosecrease. I kept his at the 59uL with 4uR to push him back down a bit.
    I am overly paranoid and anxious for this to happen. :p I am seeing it in every green now...
    I was going to ask about this and how to manage the dosage. WSU did not mention any fasting for the procedure or the CT Scan, but if they are going under should they not be fasted? How do I decide insulin in those situations? New territory entirely here for me..

JeffJ likes this.
  11. LuvinThisPig

Oh I know... I could not be more blessed. I never thought I would see the day, but that is my Pig. I am sorry Leo never regulated! I know how tough that is. It is hard to watch for sure! But, rest assured that your experience is invaluable to us and the Leo helps us everyday as well!
    Now this is a huge concern for me as Pig already holds his bladder. I will be using his Bethanochol and Prazosin at this point for sure. Every little bump ought to shake some loose! :p
    Very terrifying indeed! I hate storms! Pig handles them far better than I and always comes to my side!

That was the most touching about last night. I was worried sick and, in reality, quite sick as well. I had ran across some virus and was covered in body aches and bathroom trips. Blah! The whole time last night I was worried about him he was worried about me and never left my side. He slept with me all night and followed me from bed to couch and all my anxious pacing. He truly is my rock.

Susan&Felix(GA) and JeffJ like this.
  12. LuvinThisPig

:woot::woot::woot: It was a surprise for sure!

13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

You should ask WSU about cutoff times for food and insulin dose in the morning of his first day there. Remind them he is diabetic. I had a cutoff of midnight for food and.was told half dose in the AM at CSU. Different vet's may differ the cutoff time. Neko's dental vet was OK feeding until 6:00 AM, which is a more modern protocol for diabetics. You may also decide on your own, based on his AMPS, that you need to give less than half dose for safety on a given day.

One other thing to think about. When is your AMPS in relation to your first day appointment? I was travelling east and had to move up the preshot time so I could shoot at the hotel before appointment time.

JeffJ and LuvinThisPig like this.
  14. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Can you remind us when the SRT date is? It's coming up right?

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  15. LuvinThisPig

Of course! He is scheduled for his CT Scan on Monday, May the 7th with the procedure on the following day.

JeffJ likes this.
  16. saltycat

saltycat Well-Known Member

How exciting the SRT day is coming soon!!!

Can't agree with Wendy more, these high-dosers love to pull little tricks on us. My boy did the same thing, get my hopes up with a decrease then right back to where he was. Better to skip a shot then worry too much especially when the bean isn't feeling well. We focus so much on taking care of our furballs sometimes we neglect our own needs.

You can take a look at his SS to see how I marked down what food I gave and when. It helped me see the relationship between numbers and food. It also helped when looking back to understand the patterns better and not wonder why he shot up in the middle of the day when I overdid the carbs.

If Pig is okay with it, I found massaging the bladder area lightly helped him decide maybe it was time for a tinkle so I could grab a ketone test. ECID.

LuvinThisPig, Wendy&Neko and JeffJ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.