Pig 5/25 amps 116! A full depot and answers!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by LuvinThisPig, May 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuvinThisPig

LuvinThisPig Well-Known Member

Yesterday's

Okay... So putting my panicked freak out from yesterday aside... I think I have figured out the issue. Actually, I am pretty positive I have it now.

Its obvious that the depot is almost if not all the way full. He always matures on the fifth cycle. He is looking quite beautiful today! However, I still am not 100% convinced that this whole thing can be attributed to an empty depot or not a good dose. The effects of the two non-raw cycles was undeniable and far to coincidental. I gave raw with pmps last night and he jumped. Now, I know his Lev cycle would be wrapping up around that time, but typically we do not ever see such a rise owing to the amazing ability of the Lev to keep him fairly flat. So, if the raw is not doing it and it is not the dose doing it, then what is left? Human error. Period. This whole flipping thing is my fault, I believe. :(:(:(

I made mention of something last night in a conversation with @Stacy & Asia and had to slap myself on the forehead with my duh! moment... Ugh. It was all so very obvious.

So, when I am feeding canned food I take the can of food and blend it with water. About a 25/75 - 50/50 ratio depending on his level of constipation. Then I use the mixture to measure out his portions. This means that when he is getting 3tbs of canned with injections, the reality is that he is getting at most 2tbs of actual food. Then I will give about 1-1.5tbs every 2 hours through out the day. One of the ways that I am able to control is numbers and constipation is through food. By giving small amounts frequently I am able to feed him in a way that does not interrupt nor interact with the insulin action. It also allows his system plenty of time to digest the food. I learned this a while back and in fact, was part of the way I was able to get him so well regulated in blues and greens. By being very, very rigid and selective with food schedules and amounts. In no way is he starved (5 BCS score) and I make sure he gets about 4-5 oz a day. However, with the canned I can manipulate his intake, thus numbers, far easier.

But.... I am just fine tuning the raw and really only learning how to portion for him in that regards. With his raw, I take it and freeze it into ice cube trays. One cube is about an ounce of food. I give one cube. Meaning, his portions are measured on a 'whole' basis, not on a 'mixture' basis. So, the small meals I am giving through out the day actually end up equaling more food than when giving canned. Furthermore, he will eat what I put out. He has no control. I have seen him eat himself into an awful tummy ache because he snuck into Tail's bowl and polished it off. It stands to reason that if he was eating more than his tummy could handle, his belly ache from overeating would trigger a bit of system distress. Hence the higher BGs.... So, I am a firm believer, now, that this is all my fault. Ugh. Raw is new to me. What I will now do is purchase some smaller cubed trays so that I can effectively give .5oz through out the day... Portioning. That is all.

Back to raw we go and with a far more enlightened Momma bean..... :blackeye:

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Don't try to overanalyze one or two cycles to try to explain the numbers. It's a lesson I learned the hard way. :oops::p Until the depot is full, numbers can fluctuate.

Glad you figured out the feeding amounts. Neko seemed to do better on 3-4 meals a cycle too. You can use the same cube trays, just fill them half full, or blend the raw with water then fill the cubes.

JeffJ, Stacy & Asia and LuvinThisPig like this.
  3. LuvinThisPig

Thank you.... Trying to figure out his system makes me crazy sometimes. He has so many things to balance. Between the Acro and the Manx, its always a puzzle... lol. It makes me feel crazy. But, one thing I have learned, I will always advocate for him and listen to my gut with things. I may not be 100% correct in all my conjectures and in fact, it often takes a ton of time to really pin-point the issue... But, I know my Pig. Many times I have diagnosed him before the vets because I am so close with him. Tail as well. I think this is the case with all of us kitty parents! We know them, we love them, and we watch them. We are their voice! So, I may ramble crazy sometimes, but I am just bouncing scenarios off of things until I can settle on the most logical one with a good bit of research or reasoning to back it. Its what we do, us cat parents... How is Idjit? I just love his squirky little name... lol

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  4. LuvinThisPig

My god you are so right... Ugh. I literally drive myself and everyone around me nutso with this. Its hard to get distance. I think I have fought for him for so long against so many inadequate vets (not his regular vet) that I feel like I have to do as much as I can in that moment to get to the bottom and fix the situation... Its habit. :oops:

Yes! Duh! I like the idea of pre-mixing with water. That way all I do is plop the water/raw cube in the auto-feeder and bam! This works great! Thank you!!!

One day everyone is going to kick me off the board for my theorizing! Or put the 'crazy' cat conspiracy hat upon my head... :p:p:p

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Look around you. You are amongst friends. Reading your posts is like looking in a mirror.

6. LuvinThisPig

:bighug::bighug::bighug: Thank you, Wendy.... :bighug::bighug::bighug:

7. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

That sounds like a lightbulb moment. :) Of course more calories could explain it all! I don’t see why you couldn’t blend the raw up with water the same way you did with canned, as long as you are feeding him enough calories at the end of the day to maintain his weight. I’m the same as you, I have to talk stuff out and put out all the theories and thoughts, even if they seem nonsensical, it helps me to connect dots. I’m so glad I do it too. I figured out Asia was having teeth problems because I mentioned her eating like a pig in my condos and I was able to match the dates to when she started and stopped antibiotics and then duh! Her teeth were bothering her all along and the antibiotics made it a little better. Feel free to ramble on, I’ll read it anyway even if it’s just for you to collect your own thoughts! ;)

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  8. LuvinThisPig

Thank you Stacy... You know, a lot of why I feel crazy is owed to the reception I get as a cat lady in both my area and with my family. They do not understand it. I live in a welfare county and for most, their needs come before their pets. This is how it has to be for many, of course. I get that. The culture is not one of animals as family, but one of animals as tools. Means to an end.

Most think I am crazy for what I do for my boys. My parents even, but less so my Mom.. My brother gets it if for no other reason than he knows how important they are to me. When one of these two knuckle heads is sick, I am sick. People say, you should take care of yourself more... But, I say, "I do!"... By doing for them, because taking care of them IS taking care of me. Period. So, I ramble and I obsess. Who wouldn't or couldn't? They are my heart!

I do have a question for you... My concern with blending the RadCat with water idea. This leaves me partially thawing it, blending with water, then portioning it out into ice cubes, and then refreezing. Do you think that is too much exposure? I have always partially thawed it to portion it as we simply can't move through a whole 24oz tub that fast. I don't see it as an issue... I will say this though… That stuff will gum up a good blender quick!

MyTitan (GA) likes this.
  9. Stacy & Asia

Well I live in an area where people buy baby strollers made specifically for cats and dogs and there are not one, but several dog clothing boutiques around here...seriously! :joyful: And generally people still don’t understand why I have to rush home because I have a diabetic cat. I’m sure they think I’m crazy too, oh well. My parents probably think I do too much for her and don’t understand it, but my kids and my husband get it, because they all pitch in and want to help this furry potato that brings so much joy to our lives. I give zero expletives what other people think how I care for my cat. I love her and she’s worth it, her feeling well is all the validation I need. :cat:

Eh, tricky with the radcat thaw and refreeze stuff, I’m so squidgy about it. We use it up quick and I don’t refreeze. I think they say on their website that you can portion out and freeze again but they suggest getting it to the ice slush stage and not totally thawing it out before refreezing. I suppose it would be a huge pain to take the cubes and blend as fed in a baby magic bullet or something? That’s one option. I just don’t know. I don’t eat meat, so I don’t know what would be safe for people doing something like that, but it’s generally my guide, if I wouldn’t do and feed it to my kids that way, I wouldn’t do for cats either. If it’s easy enough for him to eat and digest without being blended up together, you can always just add water and stir it in by hand as you feed it, that’s what I do for Asia. It’s already really mushy. Or just put water in the cube tray with the rad cat, freeze it together and thaw it out together, that way you know you’re measure the same amount each time?

Bellasmom likes this.
  10. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Idjit is fine, he's our odd little fur kid. Still holding OTJ which I'm very grateful for.

Bellasmom, LuvinThisPig and JeffJ like this.
  11. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Let it thaw in the refrigerator just to the point where you can "chisel" several days worth off the main block and put the rest back in the freezer.

I'm only feeding one cat so I know the problem with using up a whole 24 ounce tub before it goes bad

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  12. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear you are getting the food portions figured out. We won't get you kicked off the board for doing theories about your own kitteh. Like Wendy said, we are looking for trends. Pig's spreadsheet is looking good. Generally good numbers.

It took Leo 6-8 weeks to start dropping after SRT. We didn't change any other variables like food. I hope the same starts happening with Pig.

For canned food, I do the same thing. About 1/4 water to mix it up.

Leo had a hypo today. It just highlights the importance of testing and monitoring food intake. No external signs, and no meows. Scared the crud out of me.

Same daily dose, he just ate less than normal. Maybe he did it so he would get Fancy Feast with Gravy! Yum!
    AMPS + 7 hrs = 4pm
    4pm - 38, then retest at 37 - karo with dog kibble, YUM!
    4:15pm - 50 - Fancy Feast with Gravy, all time favorite
    4:30pm - 75, then went to 100 after that and proceeded to also eat Little Dude's food

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  13. LuvinThisPig

:eek: Oh no! Silly guy! What was he thinking? He wanted that gravy for sure!! :p I am glad he is okay and came up pretty quickly for that matter! Good stuff! The hypo scenario frightens me...

I hope so too... I am anxious for it to all begin, but know I better get my rest now while I have a week off school and a he has a fairly steady sugar trend... Once these reductions start I think I will feel a bit like chasing my tail around the house.. I had to switch diet because of the reaction he was showing on the US. If let to progress further we are looking at potentially going into IBD and or SCL... I would like to avoid that. At this point it will be about getting the schedule and portions correct.... And to get a good idea of the food spike he gets from it and for each portion size. This way I know about what to give in the auto-feeder when reductions start. Before and after testing coming right up! lol..

I am glad Leo is okay!! :bighug::bighug::bighug: Kiss his noozle!

JeffJ likes this.
  14. LuvinThisPig

I was doing this, actually, in the beginning.. But, I don't have scales to measure the ounces out. I have to be very strict with Pig's intake because if not he gets awfully backed up and his bladder will get horribly distended. Its a by-product of the Manx syndrome. Without the scales I can't really measure amounts very well. So, I started letting it get a little less icy to the point where it was still icy and cramming it into ice-cube trays because this give just about an ounce and I can control that. One cube one meal. But, now I need half cubes. I was thinking to mix with water and then freeze like that, but it leaves a lot of time for exposure to the air and pathogens... I also like the idea of putting frozen raw into the auto-feeder because then it is not at room temp as long... Really, I just need to buy some kitchen scales.. You know what? I am heading over to do that right now... :p

Yes... It saves on money and shipping to purchase the larger containers. However, since Pig is the only one who will eat it...

15. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Many times I have "talked" things out on posts here and been able to pin-point "the" issue. You are not crazy - it's the cats :D. :bighug:

LuvinThisPig, Beth 73, JeffJ and 3 others like this.
  16. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

We are all crazy crazy cat people that’s why we are all here together lol

17. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm one of those pet stroller moms. It was because of necessity though. I could not manage the size carrier needed for my 18 lber at the time. I do not dress them in clothes though. I live in farm country. Here cats and dogs have a job, rodent patrol and cattle herding. They are not pets. I'm the odd ball, my kids are indoors, don't ha e to find their own food, see vet for well exams and get meds if needed. So I'm the crazy one.

18. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Lol I’m a stroller mom as well, lol it’s pink, I have 3 boys and 1 girl, the boys hang their heads so no one sees them lol

19. Olive & Paula

I have the red one. I couldn't not put my 18 yr old huge man in pink. I wanted blue but they were out of it.

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  20. Stacy & Asia

Those strollers are certainly useful around here, especially for cats! I'm not judging it, just saying, for people that go that out of their way for pets, it's still not a very understanding environment to be in, not unlike one where animals are just seen as things to own and have no more usefulness when they are ill. I think in general if you do more than most people are willing to do regarding anything, they tend to take it as a personal insult, perhaps subconsciously, that they aren't doing enough? And therefore you must be the crazy one. :p

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  21. Idjit's mom

I would really like to see a picture of these strollers. We used to use a soft carrier, but Idjit got too big. We now use a bigger hard carrier, I can't carry him in it, DH struggles.

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  22. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

You all are too wonderful for words :bighug: What a crazy , happy , Who- gives- a -rip -what-others-think bunch we are :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: Tis an honor to “ know” you all :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Stacy & Asia and LuvinThisPig like this.
  23. Olive & Paula

When i get home I'll post pic. It seems to gave disappeared fron phone.

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  24. LuvinThisPig

Yes! This is precisely how it is where I am. We see the large animals getting better care than the small animals because the large ones are a source of livelihood. Dogs are guard dogs only, for the most part and cats..?? Well, cats are kept outdoors or as mousers. I can relate to the crazy, but honestly... I would not have it any other way!

When Pig was little I use to dress him in cute little shirts. I even went and had his pictures professionally done while he was wearing this thuggish type hoodie.. :p Most adorable pictures ever! We even made Christmas cards every year with Tail in a tuxedo and Pig in a right proper turtle necked sweater... :woot: I found some of them yesterday while doing a bit of spring cleaning and oh my! Has he ever grown! The clothes would not even fit his little paw!

JeffJ likes this.
  25. LuvinThisPig

That carrier I bought for the trip actually comes with the option to add a stroller to it... I never really bother because Tail is terrified of the outdoors and Pig is trained on the leash... But, the whole stroller thing is adorable!!

26. Olive & Paula

dog-pink-stroller.jpg

@Idjit's mom This is what I have in red. It has been redesigned since and where I got it doesn't have it anymore.

JeffJ and LuvinThisPig like this.
  27. LuvinThisPig

Thank you! Really, I think we all are even if we feel a bit crazy sometimes. That is why I just love this board so much!! It is home! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

LizzieInTexas and Beth 73 like this.
  28. Idjit's mom

we really need to see those pics, are they digital?

Stacy & Asia and LuvinThisPig like this.
  29. Idjit's mom

Thank you so much for posting. I told DH about them and he is willing to take a look. Specially since he has to haul Idjit (18 lb) and carrier around. I really like the look of these.

30. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

I was going to get Gizmo a stroller so I could take him on walks. He loves being in open windows. I tried to harness train him but he wouldn't cooperate. He ended up getting pancreatitis and was in the hospital for 6 days/nights and the stroller went by the wayside. Then the roaming dogs became an issue in the neighborhood and I didn't pursue it.

This is the one I was looking at.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B015HUN...colid=VIDIU965QO24&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

31. Idjit's mom

I cannot wait to show DH some of these strollers! My main concern is how tough is the carrier? He's a big boy, strong and wily (Idjit, not DH) ( oh well not going there lol) I wouldn't want him clawing his way out and running away.

LuvinThisPig likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.