Pig 7/03 amps 136

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by LuvinThisPig, Jul 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuvinThisPig

LuvinThisPig Well-Known Member

Yesterday's

I got some great news! First off, the plain poached pork is working great for Pig and he is no longer looking for things to soothe an upset tummy and neither is he super sensitive around his tummy area. Secondly.. After the weird poo incidence I took to the internet and started digging around hardcore. And guess what? I found a guy who has a kitty with virtually the exact same digestive issues as Pig! :woot: This is very exciting to me. He had some excellent advice all of which is certainly a bit more complicated than I had hoped, but I will find a way to make it work. A lot of the advice was focused on introducing more fats and supplements to support neuro functioning in the colon. This makes a massive amount of sense, but involves a bottomless pocket book... :) No worries. We made it to WA and we will make it with this.

But, for now he is settling down and that makes me very happy. I have spoke with his vet about Lactulose and she is suppose to call it in for us here soon. Hopefully we will be able to start on this tonight. I am curious, though, since MiraLax and Lactulose work basically the same way is it safe to use them in conjunction with each other? I have heard of people doing this, but just because others have done it does not mean that it is safe... lol o_O

Fingers crossed that we get this irritation done with and the constipation out. :smuggrin:

2. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

Glad pig is enjoying the pork, but something about a Pig eating pork just seems wrong. :p

Rose takes both Miralax and Lactulose everyday under medical direction from her vet for long term recurring constipation. Both are "dose to effect" so be careful starting out. Through trial and error, we have learned that too much latulose will lead to significant and very strong gas. :eek: Initially I purchased small bottles of lactulose from my vet that were dispensed from their larger supply for clinic use. Now, we just special order it to get our own 16oz bottle because it is cheaper and also goes into the enema solution (used as needed).

In terms of safety, I would point out the very important role of hydration in the whole poo process. I know you are already adding water to Pig's meals, so I think you are already up to speed on this. In terms of fats, I would just comment that I got the recommendation to add multiple oils to her food from @Bronx's dad. Perhaps this advice is in line with what you are hearing. I haven't found a local source for these oils, so I will look online.

3. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

I use both Lactulose & Miralax for Bronx. Vet wasn't against it, but said I could just increase the Lactulose instead. And I recommend buying it online with the script, CVS overcharges for it

The oils that Bronx takes are pumpkin seed, avocado, hemp seed & fish oil. I am also using Smooth BM Gold made by Pet Wellbeing. He still isn't pooping every day but the oils have helped.

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  4. LuvinThisPig

His vet suggested a 1.5cc starting dose. I have not picked up the bottle as of yet, so I am not entirely sure if she meant to give that amount BID or to split that amount between the two. I will be picking up the bottle here shortly. I had thought to start it before I went to work because of how backed up he is at the moment, but he just had a small output and a very large pee. Considering that I do not know how he will react to it and that he is producing some output, I think it best to wait until I am at home.

I am going to just get the 16oz bottle from my pharmacy. Hopefully he will eat it. His vet cautioned me that most cats simply hate the stuff. But, yes... I put quite a bit of water in Pig's meals. About as much as he can stand. Usually it is about a 25/75 - 50/50 ratio. He is well hydrated. His skin pops back and his gums are not sticky at all... I do worry with all of the meds pulling moisture out into his colon. His poor colon is so inflamed and I am hesitant to start anything new. However, I am hearing some really good things about MCT oils and have gotten a recommendation for a really good one. The use of brain and pancreas meat has also been suggested owing to the supportive neuro qualities. That's what I need for him. Something like the ez egg that acts as the Choline does. Like this:

Choline. A component of choline is acetylcholine. Acetylcholine acts as a major neurotransmitter for the autonomic nervous system (which includes the GI tract). The stomach and the intestines contain a muscular layer that allows for wave-like contraction of the organs, known as peristalsis. This process propels food through the digest tract. The National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse states that acetylcholine increases the contractions seen in the muscular layer, thus improving peristalsis and pushing food efficiently through the digestive tract. Choline (and its component acetylcholine) improves GI motility, which is what propels hair through so it comes out the proper end. (FoodFurLife - EZ Egg) ​

5. LuvinThisPig

I will reply in more detail when I get home... I have to rush to work. I am already late.. lol But, this is only part of what we discussed on the Raw Feeding IBD FB group...

(I focus on neuro support with his diet) -- but I don't think there is a magical supplement I added, most likely the combination of things I've added: Egg yolk, yolk lecithin, brain tissue, pancreas tissue, MCT oil, George's Aloe, krill oil, fatty cuts of meat, etc...

Sue and Luci likes this.
  6. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Ummm, yeah. Pig eating pork. That somehow sounds wrong. But I hope it works.

Sometimes it is just a matter of fine tuning the whole process for our kittehs. Leo was a challenge, and Pig has been a challenge too.

LuvinThisPig and LizzieInTexas like this.
  7. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Was 01/02/18 the last labs? His potassium was a bit high on that bw, just be aware thst egg yolk is fairly high in potassium. I think Radcat is ok and is made with calcium vs. bone but you want to keep an eye on that ;)

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  8. LuvinThisPig

Do you mean phosphorous? I did not realize the egg was high it phos... :confused:

9. LizzieInTexas

Yes. I mean phosphorus :banghead::banghead:. I do that all the time and it makes me mad at myself. I know better and I know the difference :facepalm:. I am researching a solution for potassium for Gizmo (he needs more). My brain is overloaded.

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  10. LizzieInTexas

This is from an email from Food Fur Life

The amount of minerals relevant to CKD in the recommended amount of egg yolk (1/4 teaspoon of powder twice a day) are:
    Phos 14mg
    Calcium 4mg
    Sodium 2mg
    Potassium 3mg

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  11. LuvinThisPig

Oh my... That is pretty high in phos. I have got to get him in and do labs. Money is so tight right now. Ever since I got back from WA.... I guess I'll just have to see if his vet will let us run it on credit... Lol. Thank you!! Let me know what you find out about the potassium for Gizmo!

12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I don't know what WSU told you about followup blood work, but CSU suggested b/w, including T4, every three months for the first year after SRT. Been almost two months now.

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  13. LuvinThisPig

I totally agree. Honestly, my finances are the only thing keeping me from rushing him into the vet asap. I budgeted everything very carefully with WA, but did not take Murphy's law into account. My job started cutting hours as soon as I got home and my income has been reduced by a third. Needless to say, I am struggling... But, Maybe his vet will let me pay it out..?? I will call her first thing on Thursday.

I am a bit worried about this yellowy stuff. I posted a pic on the IBD Facebook page and they said it was not mucus. But, its seriously orangey / yellow and even a bit slimy. Its a clear, loose liquid... ??

But, as far as he looks, he seems to be in high spirits. Yet, cats are very good at hiding pain. He is eating ravenously, cleaning well, had 2 smaller poos, a much better urine output, not looking for things to quell nausea (no pica or water drinking), and has just ran up to the top of the 6ft cat tree... His behavior says it is okay, but this liquid says something is up. It does not smell at all and neither does he poo. He even got down to a 73 today, but that concerns me too. His numbers have been a bit erratic and jumpy with those surprise lows and no way to predict or explain them.

I just... I don't know, Wendy, and I am pretty scared right now...

14. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Did they look more normal? I wouldn't worry about a one-off odd looking poo.

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  15. LuvinThisPig

No... he is still pooping this stuff and it is periodically leaking out of him.. But, it has no smell at all...

16. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I hope Pig is doing a little better today. Maybe he is just not soaking up the calories correctly.

I am happy to see his BG is stable at (dose = 18.0). And well regulated too.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    LuvinThisPig likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.