Pig 7/31 amps 100; +1 146

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by LuvinThisPig, Jul 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuvinThisPig

LuvinThisPig Well-Known Member

Yesterday's

He seems to be tolerable to the lamb and that is a very good thing! I was worried that he was having a reaction to it last night because he was hanging just above and below the 200 mark. But, he started cruising down around +8 and has stayed level thus far.

Its hard to tell, right now, if it was a food reaction or just some leftover depot wonkiness. Could have been a little of both, but with how quick he recovered I am betting on depot instability. Typically, his system takes about 5-7 days to straighten out when he is going to react over it. I also think the enzymes are helping to take some of the stress off his pancreas, meaning less issues there. Of course, none of this is definitive and purely conjecture. Regardless, I am learning and understanding more and more about how to avoid those uncontrollable spikes in BG. I hate them and he feels miserable during those... And his belly is always so touchy at times like those, so I am pretty convinced that his gi and pancreas do play a part in it.

Yet, I cannot say just how happy I am right now because the progress that this boy has made in just a short week is nothing besides astounding! He is feeling so much better and to give an example, he just took 3 pees in less than 1.5 hours! :eek::eek: It is all about getting it started because once he starts to build up tone then the bladder seems to take over on its own. Not to mention, keeping him feeling good so that he actually heeds the call of the bladder. I am hoping to avoid a PU and am very confident that getting him in good, steady numbers is the key to that. I want his bladder to be where it was when we went to WA. The only thing that was different then was the numbers. He needs healing time.

I know being under renal is not necessarily healing for an Acro, but it does help. I have seen it with him. He feels better and does better all around.

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

It's a lot easier on the kidneys. Acromegaly by itself is hard on kidneys. Staying under renal threshold is a good goal to have. The odd spike above is OK, you just don't want him staying there.

The depot is still stabilizing, by tonight you should start seeing him show you what this dose can do. Side note, typically over 10 units we make changes by one unit at a time. This was a bigger decrease, might see a bit more blues than greens.

How many times a day does Pig pee? How many before WSU? Neko typically did 1.5 to 2, as high as three if her numbers were high.

3. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

That's a lot of pee in 90 minutes. I don't even think any of us could do it!

Leo tends to still hold his pee. I don't know what is up with that. Two big pees each evening, and a small one in the morning. Mostly because I make his FF food with lots of water to help him swallow.
    Leo and Little Dude - going swimming 07-31-2018.JPG

4. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

LuvinThisPig and JeffJ like this.
  5. LuvinThisPig

You know, after I gave the first 10u I thought about this. I was a little more than frustrated with myself for that one. I think, though, that once we get over these food spike things that it might be an alright dose. But, I may still need to increase some. I upped the amount of lamb he is getting (was giving 1tsp with the rest pork - this morning was 2tsp with the rest pork) so he is running higher because of that. I am still not positive on the whole 'reaction' thing, but every time I do anyting differently in his diet he always spikes. Its just like it doesn't sit well with him. I think I am noticing it more now because he is not constantly in the pinks and yellows anymore..

This one is harder to answer. Right now with him being on the Bethanochol (can never spell that) he seems to go more often, but that is what that medicine does.

With Pig it is less about frequency and more about volume. Before giving the Bethanochol, him and Tail both would average about 2-3 times a day. Neither will ever use the bathroom if I am not home. I know that sounds weird, but I always clean the boxes before I leave for work, its my routine. Always. Always when I come home the boxes are clean. They greet me at the door and then the floods come and shortly after a BM from both. Every time I come home.

Pig is going to the potty far more often on the meds, but he can never actually empty. So, he pees a decent amount, but there is still left over in there. I have no idea if it is because of bladder neuropathy, Manx, or that he doesn't want to squat long enough to empty. But, on the Bethanochol and the clicker training, he will pee about 2-3 times in a night before I go to bed (about 5-6 hours after shot) and then he settles in. Sometimes he will pee before I wake up, but not usually. They match my activity. So, if I am sleeping they are too, so no pee. He will also pee about 2 times before I go to work (shortly after meals here as well) and then nothing until I come home. So, on the Betha and training about 5-6 times a day. Without that and before WSU.. maybe 2.

However, the difference is still volume. Is he emptying his bladder all the way? Right now his bladder is easily felt with gentle palpation of the abdomen... Just before WSU you could not feel the bladder at all, but it was not always so. He has had this bladder thing for a bit and it mysteriously went away with a month of clean blues and greens. I swear, that is the key.

6. LuvinThisPig

It seems like a lot and in fact, they are decent puddles. Yet, still never enough to fully empty that bladder... *sigh*

You have the best pictures! I am laughing for days over the cowlicks!

JeffJ likes this.
  7. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Leo absolutely loves Little Dude. They are up to something everyday. More importantly, I think Little Dude has a great effect on Leo's health. We had Scoobs up until 2016 (died unexpectedly). He was Leo's best buddy. Perhaps Leo does best when he is bonded with another kitteh, vs a human.

For Pig's pee, I wonder if he holds it because you have trained him that a treat follows. He may be waiting for that sequence to go to the litter box. That could be an unintended side effect of the litter box training.

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  8. LuvinThisPig

It might be, but I doubt it. Him and Tail both have been like that (not using the LB while I am at work) for well over a year now. I actually use to freak out about it because it seemed like such a longtime for them to hold it, but it is just what they do. It is like they just sleep all day while I am gone and then when I get home they make a break for the LBs.…

JeffJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.