Pig 8/2 amps 164

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by LuvinThisPig, Aug 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuvinThisPig

LuvinThisPig Well-Known Member

Yesterday's

He is moving up and down on his cycles, but I am fairly positive this is because of the lamb. I started him on 1tsp with BID meal and we saw a bit of a spike but not enough to be certain of whether it was the lamb or the dose. Then he started to trend downwards. So, I upped his lamb to 2tsp with BID and he began to trend upwards again. Now he is trending downwards as he is getting accustomed to the new protein.

I know he is running a bit higher than I would like and that is mostly because I took a bigger decrease (accidentally) than I should have, but I am interested to see if he continues the up and down trend after we fully transition over to the lamb. I have no definitive proof that these spikes are related to dietary changes, but it happens, like clockwork, every time I change anything food wise.

But, regardless, he is doing so phenomenally well! His appetite is always on point and really, like @JeffJ said, we are so blessed in that. He is being far more active and his urination is working great. He is still not emptying all the way, but that will come with time. The most difficult part right now is settling these numbers. Just when I get him starting to level out he reduces and I chase after it. No complaints here, though. This Pig surprises and inspires me more and more everyday!

On another note, he has not come to snuggle with me since Mike got here. This morning and during a brief nap (I had a bad migraine... ugh) he came and snuggled with me which tells me we are on our way towards healing.

2. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Warning Warning - Stranger in the house!:eek:

That means that all kittehs must change their behavior. Well at least the kittehs who are not 100% social. Sounds like Pig is doing quite well this week.

3. LuvinThisPig

Well, despite a bit of bowel discomfort (he might have conned moms into a bit more fudz than normal... like a whole extra meal... He was breaking everything in the kitchen... ;)), I will say that he is doing even better than quite well.. Jeff, he busted through another reduction cutoff! So, today he will move on down the ladder to 9uL! :eek::eek::eek:

I gave a spot of honey because the drop was a bit early in the cycle for him and I might have overdone it. :oops::oops::oops: But, the good thing is that I am finding out that this depot is not a runaway one anymore. It is much more comforting to know that I can stop the action with a bit of honey, versus having to gorge him just to hold him above a hypo number. Also, I am learning that his belly is not fond of honey all that much. I need to find something else that works the same. I am sure he would eat plain powdered sugar or something.

The funny thing here is that, Tail, my totally anti-social guy had no issue with it. Mike rode with us to the vet when Tail had the wax plug in his ear and by the time we got home they were fast friends. :eek::eek::eek: Tail NEVER likes anyone that fast. In fact, the only person Tail likes anywhere close to as much as he likes me is my brother. Only, now he is all buddy buddy with Mike. I think Pig's jam was that he had to assert his dominance over Mike and mark his territory as his..... Including his moms.. :joyful:

JeffJ likes this.
  4. LuvinThisPig

@Wendy&Neko I hate to disrupt progress with, yet another, BCS. I want to shoot the full 9u today. He should surf it out, right? Mike will be home around 3:30 and can monitor closely.

I also do not want to have to pump him full of more food and honey. He is already full as a tick... :p

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Looking at the SS, there's a good chance Pig will see green again today. The question is, how low. Reducing to 9U should help a bit. Is 3:30 around +6?

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  6. LuvinThisPig

No... It is a ways before. 3:30 would be about +3.5

But, Mike is working about a block away. He has been running down here every 1-2 hours to check Pig's numbers..

Do you think a 6u would be safer? The increase just after the 52 is owed solely to honey. I really think it is causing a bit of irritation. I can see it in his behavior. He becomes lethargic right after he gets it. But, that means that he will be crashing down once that settles..

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

He likely wouldn't see blue until after +3.5. I think he should be OK. Honey effect should wear off after a couple hours, it's been longer than that.

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  8. LuvinThisPig

Awesome! Thank you! I will go ahead and shoot the full 9u and see where that takes him.

9. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

That is really just a great thing. Pig is responding quite well, and fairly quickly to the SRT.

Also good that Tail is bonding with Mike and the kitteh household is healthy.

Leo is pretty stable at 5.0 units/day. The pred complicates it. Wendy mentioned yesterday that pred can cause cushings. So I did more research on pred and it can cause diabetes, cushings, and lots of other stuff. I noticed Leo's skin now feels very thin, compared to a year ago. The pred resolved his appetite issues last year, and is indicated for small cell lymphoma. Leo is so happy now. I hope we don't get other health issues.

Amanda & Shmee and LuvinThisPig like this.
  10. LuvinThisPig

If I can just get these diet spikes figured out. I know everyone thinks I am crazy, but I know this is happening. I do not think the food or changes actually increase his sugar by incorporating them into his body the way we ususally think about it. But, I do think that it causes some upset tummies that causes stress that causes BG spikes. Once the intro periods to new things wanes, then he will settle down. His behavior indicates some upset tummy as well. As in, how he is sitting and acting. I really just feel crazy with this right now...

And omg on the Cushing's!!! :eek::eek::eek:
    I have never ever known or heard this!! Wendy is a genius! How scary, Jeff. I can only pray that poor Leo does not ever have to deal with any other health conditions. Poor guy has been through enough already. I knew it could cause diabetes, but Cushing's! I know so much of this stuff is medically necessary, but I just wish it did not come with so many unintended side effects.. :(

JeffJ likes this.
  11. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Thanks. We will see where Leo's journey takes us. His immune system is mostly permanently down now because of the chemo. But he is experiencing this great health surge for the past month - and is almost like a normal kitteh. Which he wants to be.

For Leo's BG, if he doesn't get the proper afternoon meals, then his BG plummets. He had a hypo (48 on Alphatrak) on 6/22 because of missed afternoon meals. We felt real stupid. I'm glad Pig is not as dependent on specific meals for his BG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.