Remembering Rusty (includes a video)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA), Nov 6, 2018.

1. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,
    I've been meaning to post a Rusty Memorial for several months and finally have put together a slide show of photographs on my Google Drive. You can view it by clicking on This Link. Edward and I both hope you will like it. The soundtrack is "Body and Soul" performed by the Benny Goodman Trio in the late 1930s (Benny Goodman, clarinet; Teddy Wilson, piano; Gene Krupa, percussion). Rusty liked to listen to classic jazz.

Rusty journeyed to The Bridge on 14 July 2018. We miss his physical presence very much, but his spirit is very strong and we feel his presence every day. He was a wonderful kitty. We don't know how old he was, but we think he was 19 or 20. He was found in November 2008 wandering the streets of Plymouth MA, picked up by Animal Control, and brought to a shelter. When examined by a vet at the shelter he was discovered to be diabetic. Claudia (@cjleo) fostered him for about two years, got him well regulated on Lantus, and he was adopted through DCIN by Phoebe (@Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA). Apparently he played too rough for a household of elderly kitties and needed to be re-homed. That's where Edward and I came into his life.
    In September 2010 we lost our feline diabetic, Stu. We missed him and decided to adopt another diabetic to pay forward all of the help we received on this Board. So when we saw that Rusty needed a new home and needed to be an "only cat", we spoke up. On 28 November 2010 Rusty arrived at our home via a DCIN car relay from Detroit, through Ontario, overnighting in Toronto with Linda (@Linda and Bear Man), and arriving in Kingston ON, where we picked him up from Linda and drove him the final lap-- to our home in the Adirondack Mountains of NY State. Rusty knew he was "home" immediately and that night hopped up on our bed and snuggled down between us.
    We had hoped he would be a good traveler, because we had plans to take him everywhere we went. And he was! During his years with us Rusty traveled frequently to our "camp" (aka "Camp Stu"), a tiny cabin on an Adirondack lake, and to New York City. He loved to ride in the car and sat on the armrest between his beans. He observed everything with interest.
    Rusty was a social kitty and really liked people. He greeted friends at the door and often honored them by sitting in their laps. He was an excellent host. He liked to go outside and explore the yard and hunt chipmunks and squirrels (Rusty was a "rodent man" and had little interest in birds). He was a patient hunter, creeping low to the ground until he was within striking distance. At "camp" he was an accomplished mouser. At home, Rusty had a perch above the radiator where he liked to sit and observe. Several pictures on the slideshow suggest that he had a special relationship with some of the deer who frequent our yard. Other favorite places included our dining room table (in later years he loved to sit there with us and drink from his own glass of water), and the living room couch, where we would sit at night and watch TV and where, late in his life, I often held his dinner bowl for him to encourage him to eat.

Golly, we miss him! But we know he is safe at the Bridge with all of his old FDMB pals, cooking up a storm in the Bridge Kitchen. We look forward to that wonderful day when we will meet again. Until then, thank you Mr. Cat! You enriched our lives and you will always be with us.

2. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

I loved the slideshow. Rusty was a gorgeous cat!

3. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

What an amazing memorial for an amazing and handsome boy! It was obvious from both the memorial and the slideshow that he was much loved. Hugs to you and Edward! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

What a handsome boy! And that tail!!!
    A lovely tribute to our beloved Rusty; thank you for sharing it with us Ella.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

5. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

...Sniffle Sniffle...what a beautiful tribute - miss your daily physical life Sir Rusty! Ella, you and Rusty were one of the first people to greet us when we arrived in Lantus Land and from that a beautiful friendship grew. I've always loved Rusty stories, the Full Moon adventures, getting to share a small part of your lives....

HUGS to you and Edward too,

6. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Such a handsome boy! He loved all the adventures and those photo's tell a very happy cat story. Always missed but never forgotten Rusty...sure you're have a blast with your fellow FDMB kitties.

Thanks for all you have and do here on the board Ella, you're such a positive influence. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

7. Rosie & Bailey

Rosie & Bailey Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing your Rusty Memorial. He truly was a beautiful cat, and you had many fun adventures together.
    I love the outdoor photos of him in the grass. He truly looked like the king of the jungle.
    RIP Rusty. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

8. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

Beautiful tribute for a handsome kitty. Thanks for sharing. :bighug:

9. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

What a lovely and loving memorial for a special kitty. The slideshow shows what a majestic cat he was. How lovely to see him back in all of his favorite places. I have so many fond memories of him, and it was an honor to know him, to have him sit by “my” place at the table, to spend time with him at Camp Stu, to sit with him on the porch at cocktail hour, and to spend the evenings beside him watching movies. So many wonderful memories of dear Rusty. He loved you and Edward at first sight, and the bond you three shared can never be broken. Most of all, I am grateful to Rusty for introducing me to you and Edward, and will always be thankful for that gift.

10. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing. What a wonderful boy.

11. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

That was the most beautiful eulogy I have ever read. Wow. I wish I had known this cat. Can’t wait to see the video. :bighug:

He was so lucky to have you guys.

12. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow, an even more beautiful video! ❤️

I have to make one for Frosty one of these days. I already have music picked out and everything. It’s just hard.

:bighug:

13. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

Oh, Auntie Ella! :bighug:This has me meowling through my purrs and purring through my meowls.:):(:cat::(:)

I feel so 'purrciative to have had Rusty as my mentor, and I'm so glad he had you and Unclie Edward, who knew how to 'purrciate him, too.

Purrs for sure,
    Felix

14. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

What a wonderful tribute to an amazing kitty! :D:bighug:

15. Josie & Ripley (GA)

Josie & Ripley (GA) Well-Known Member

What a lovely tribute for your sweet, handsome boy. I’m so glad he found you. Rusty is dearly missed, and so very loved.
    :bighug:

16. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

What a great tribute to a handsome boy. How wonderful he could travel with you. Looks like he had a great life with you full of love and adventure!

17. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

What a beautiful tribute for Rusty. He was a special kitty. I'm glad you found each other. He is missed. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

18. Kako & Tux

Kako & Tux Well-Known Member

You and Rusty were gift to each other. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

19. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

What a nice memorial. We all love Rusty and he is really missed. I'm sure he is having a great time at The Bridge.
    I loved the slide show. Thanks for making it and sharing :bighug:

20. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

What a nice tribute Ella. Wow, he did have quite a connection with the deer! I always felt Rusty was like the old wise man who all our kitties looked up to. His presence will always be felt here, still leading the way from across the bridge.

21. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

Beautiful video!

22. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Swoon. :cat:
    Miss ya big guy. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

What a lovely tribute Ella. That music seems so fitting. Same food dish as Neko.

23. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

What an awesome tribute to your beautiful Rusty!!

With a personality as big as Rusty had, I'm not at all surprised that you still feel him nearby.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

24. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

A wonderful tribute Ella. Rusty was a very handsome fellow with an amazing tail. I know how you are missing him. Thanks for sharing him with us

25. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

26. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

What a regal gentleman! Beautiful tribute Ella...thank you so much for sharing.:bighug::bighug:

27. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I've been putting this off.....I started crying as I clinked on the link to the slide show. Rusty was a very regal gentleman and he was most photogenic. The photos of him looking out the window at the deer was one of my favs.

I can only imagine how deep the loss cuts into your hearts. I hope that you are given solace knowing that you gave him so many wonderful years and I think both kitty and beans were so lucky to have each other.

Thanks for sharing your boy with us, all his adventures and travels with you and Edward. He was quite a presence here.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

28. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

I loved the video. I miss visiting the majestic porch lion.... and sending scritches....

29. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

What a wonderful slideshow! Rusty was such a handsome gentleman and we all miss him very much.

30. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

The slide show is a delight! I kept thinking how much Gizmo resembles Rusty right down to those mammoth paws and fluffy tail. I miss him, too.

31. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

What a beautiful Tribute and slideshow. I love the ones of Rusty interacting with his deer friends. Sure do miss him. Hugs.

32. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

What a beautiful soul, inside and out. :bighug: You and him are so lucky to have found each other.

33. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Amazing memorial, just gorgeous

34. Mandarin'sMom

Mandarin'sMom Well-Known Member

What a beautiful tribute! And what an amazing life he had. You can tell that he knew that this was the life he always wanted and deserved and he just hadn’t found the perfect match in his previous homes. I am so glad that he got to be with you and that you got to be his beans. There is no doubt in mind that those 8 years with you were the best years of his life. :bighug: