Tyler &M : Friday 25th May :

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by PussCatPrince - GA, May 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Yesterday

The vet has just phoned.

Tyler is still "pretty flat" to quote . He has not eaten and looking pretty miserable.

He said they can keep him comfortable but had my usual vet talked about prognosis. Both vets are at the same practice.

That one should look at his quality of life. The clear message is that this vet thinks Tyler's time has come.

Phil is away until bluddy well Sunday night. Cannot contact him about this as he has no way to get back .

I know I always say to look at the quality of life over one's own love but I honestly felt that Ty was not that bad and it was maybe a flair that fluids and pain would manage.

I'm in complete shock & of course in utter pieces.

I don't mean to sound dramatic but Phil and I only have ourselves here so there is no-one to hold my hand.

2. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Oh , M, I am so sorry :( You know Ty better than the vets and that he is more than numbers . Can you go get Ty and wait til DH comes home so can talk this out together ? Sending many prayers for your heart to have peace and Ty to miraculously heal . :bighug::bighug::bighug:

PussCatPrince - GA and Dyana like this.
  3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Very sorry to hear this. Sending comfort and wisdom across to you. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. PussCatPrince - GA

Thank you so much for being here right now.

I managed to get hold of Philip just as he headed on out and before he was too far away & he is going to the vet right now to see Ty .

It is the shock. Ty in no way seemed anywhere near as bad as last time at all. I thought fluids and pain meds for a couple ofdays would perk him up. He has only been at the vets since midday yesterday. It is 10am now.
    That vet was saying make a decision within 24 hrs but we can't do that really.

I suppose I don't understand what is happening.

edit......

No-one should hear that over a phone.

Tracey&Jones (GA) and Beth 73 like this.
  5. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Sending lots of hugs and vines. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. Beth 73

Maybe all he needs is to come home ..... you know him better than anyone ,you know him :bighug: And that is absolutely NOT something to be heard on the phone ....and then given a 24 hour deadline .... I share your confusion about what they are saying . Hugs and prayers and hand extended across the sea to you , dear M ..... :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:That you and Phillip will know what to do . So thrilled he is able to go to vets office right now . :bighug:

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  7. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Sending you vines and prayers as you deal with this. I don't think it was the best way to hear info like that, but perhaps you live too far away to be able to travel to vet's office to talk in person? Sometimes that happens. That's how I found out I had breast cancer in Oct. 2010 and it was okay to me to hear it like that because I wanted to know ASAP after the biopsy.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

8. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I felt like someone punched me in the gut as I read the subject line of your thread. I can only imagine how you're feeling.

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

There's some information found here: Making "The Decision": Help to know when and how... much of which has helped me fairly assess "quality of life"... something which is so important to us for our kitties. Maybe it'll be of some help to you and Phillip.

Holding you close in thought. Sending positive thoughts, clarity, strength, wisdom, serenity... and more hugs.

9. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Sending lots of :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:And 3033FE49-5882-4298-ACAD-64EAD693B8AC.jpeg

10. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. I hope the vet is wrong and you can do something for Ty. That is horrible you had to hear it over the phone. I'm glad your DH is able to go see Ty. Sending prayers for you all. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

11. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

12. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I hope Ty can come home and sending more vines to Ty to feel better once he's home.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

13. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Sending prayers, vines and hugs:bighug:

14. PussCatPrince - GA

I live a 45 mins drive away and was going in later today to visit.
    Phil was on his way through to Civil Defence HQ so was 20 mins away.

He is cancelling the CD exercise . I am very relieved for that but also sad for Phil as this is a once every two year exercise and rather special . His decision entirely. I wouldn't sway him with that.

He will stick around at the vets for a couple of hours and see what is panning out., then phone me . So I shall sit tight.
    Phil doesn't know or feel Ty like I do but he is calm and sensible and he wouldn't give Ty one day more or one day less than was right for Ty.

Can I just say thank you all for being on the other end .

@Jill & Alex (GA)
    Thanks for the links. Oddly, they are calming .

With Hollycat, I knew when. With this though , the suggestion came out of left field. I had not / do not feel it is now but there again maybe my eyes have been more starry than I knew.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  15. Jill & Alex (GA)

I also found them calming during a very emotional time. The first few times I looked at them... they helped bring clarity. It wasn't time and they helped reinforce my thoughts/reasoning. At a later point... they were again helpful. That time around they helped me in making the decision no one wants to make. It sounds odd, but there was some comfort in that...

16. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

These times are always tough on owner and kitteh. I hope Tyler makes it through. He has been such a trooper through the last few months.

I would hold your hand. Hugs to you.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

17. Beth 73

18. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Trust your gut. You know Ty better than the vet does. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

19. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

20. Beth 73

Amen ! Totally agree with Kris :bighug:

21. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:You know you little one better than any vet!!!

22. HWright

HWright Well-Known Member

M, dearest M,
    I, too, felt like I’d been punched in the gut when I read your thread title and what vet said.

And I apologize for not articulating well; what you are going through now brings back tears and memories of similar experiences, most recently with Azalea.

Try to take deep breaths, settle your thoughts, in your sitting tight for now.

Your heart will guide you. And what you feel with Ty will be your guide. You and he are the ones who know each other best.

As Beth so heart fully wrote, you know Ty better than anyone. And Ty is fully his whole being, whatever the challenges, whatever the numbers that vets go by. We and our cats are more than numbers and parameters.

❤️With love, hugs, healing and hope, ❤️
    Sina

23. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

First, I want to say we're always here in your hour of need.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

I also felt shock when I read the title.

I'm glad you got the links. You and Phillip should not be rushed to make a decision. It's a momentous decision and something not to be made rashly.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

24. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Thinking of you and Phil and Ty as you work on this difficult decision. :bighug: The links Jill posted really helped me. Similar experience. Knowing first when it wasn't time, and then when it was.

Sending peace for your mind and hugs for your heart. Lean on us.

25. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

So sorry that you and your pusscat are having this hard time. I join the others in saying that you know more than the doctor about what Ty wants; the doctor has no right to rush you. Sending you all vines of comfort and well-being.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

26. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:
    Sending many prayers that Ty turns it around.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

27. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

M... :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

I truely hope the vet is wrong in his assesment of Ty’s condition. You do know him best and I hope that he is just out of sorts from being at the hospital rather than he’s taken a turn for the worse. I hope you and Phil can decide what to do next without pressure and with a clear mind. Thinking of you all and sending our love. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

28. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

Thinking of you :bighug::bighug::bighug: and really hoping it isn't time yet.

29. Beth 73

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:Continued thoughts and prayers being sent

30. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Such sad news this morning :( I am so sorry to hear of your pain. Hugs to you in this tough time.

31. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

So very sorry to read your post this morning - everyone here has had this heartbreaking feeling as well. We are all here to support you in your decision - whatever that may be. Sending hugs and vines.:bighug:

32. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Dear M, I am so sorry that you had to receive the vet's opinion over the phone. Ty is your very special kitty and you will do right by him, but you and Phil and Ty will make the decision, not the vet. Please know that we are thinking of you. You will know in your hearts when the time comes.
    Sending lots of :bighug::bighug::bighug:s

33. HWright

6A199866-B7E9-4EDF-8157-55BCD8F6BBAF.jpeg
    of ❤️❤️❤️❤️

34. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

You know we've been where you are now. All I can say is if there is no physical pain wait for Phil to come home. The dignity part is something only you will know.
    If it helps any we had Nigel at home almost to the end and had quadrupled his BUPE and he still knew who we were and where he was. All we had to do was keep him away from the stairs and I know he knew to the very last that we weren't just keeping him going for us.
    I know the three of you are very far away and it's probably already tomorrow there but we are all here for you.
    :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

35. Noah & me (GA)

Sorry for the double post everyone.
    Tyler, Phil and Momma live in New Zealand. In Toronto when it's Eastern Daylight at 5PM it's 9AM Saturday in N.Z. so we're going to be a bit out of synch.
    For Tyler
    cats_change_everything_001.jpg

LizzieInTexas, Juliet, Dyana and 4 others like this.
  36. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

37. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

Thoughts - prayers & hugs...:(

38. PussCatPrince - GA

As Dickson rightly pointed out, because of the huge time difference we will all be out of sync quite a bit.

This belongs in Friday as it was Friday so I will post this here.

Phil stayed at the vet for two hours over the midday period. Was able to chat quickly with vet/vet tech/nurses <--- they prefer to be called nurses rather than techs . He spent a good two hours with Ty. No time limits are ever set here for visits. but there is no overnight staying. Mind you I couldn't fit into those cat sized cubicles anyway.

They put Ty on temgesic and a fluids drip as one would expect . He acknowledged Phil a bit but was otherwise very ....quiet. We both drove back down later around the 4pm mark .

Ty had apparently done my most sought after treasure , a perfect log & a quality wee. He ate a little but not really very much. The vet did a bit of an ultrasound ( it is not his specialty so it would be for my vet who is very skilled in this ) & felt there was no abscess lurking within but of course he could see the thickenings and modules of before. My vet to do an ultrasound when he came in the next day. He had to be home as both his kids are sick right now and one is Downs Syndrome.

Plan over Friday , into Saturday - a little dose of insulin , given the not much food thing. Lessen the pain med a little . Keep up the fluids. The vet gave us a lot of time which was wonderful , as really he was also fitting in the scheduled appointments . He's not my regular vet there but , honestly, he really is very open , honest and personable. He listens too which is a good thing isn't it. I forgive him his blunderbuss telephone call. :bighug:

(...Phil came back. I had to step out )

Nothing alarming in any of the tests as such. High white blood cell count which is not a surprise. 'Course we did cuddles and care and generally got in the way , as you do.

Then we came home and drank wine ----- erm , quite a bit :oops: - and blubbered :arghh: and talked. Well , maybe I talked and Phil had to listen :stop: but he did get to talk too .... a little bit.

That is the end of Friday.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  39. Beth 73

40. Jill & Alex (GA)

whenever you're ready... we're not only here, but we're also with you in spirit...

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

41. Sharon14

42. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

At Tyler's age, every day is to be enjoyed. I am glad to hear he is still hanging in there.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

43. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

I have been praying. So glad to see your update. Glad you are comfortable with this vet. I hope he can help the whole family. Continued prayers for you and Ty!

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  44. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

45. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

46. Bellasmom

47. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

Adding my hugs to the group as well M! Sending some good energy to you, Phil, and especially Ty. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

48. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Prayers for guidance and serenity to come to the right decision.

49. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Big hugs!! Sending love and support in your days ahead. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

50. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

My heart hurts for you... prayers for you all!!:bighug::bighug: Bless you

51. Bellasmom

Sending more prayers and vines :bighug::bighug::bighug:

52. Noah & me (GA)

I'm still in my Saturday morning jammys and it's almost 1:00AM Sunday in N.Z. Just so far away.
    My heart hurts too Becky. Cynthia comes downstairs and knows I've been crying.

53. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm just seeing your post...

The only "advice" I have to offer is that Ty will let you know when it's time. With any of our kitties, we just need to hope we are smart enough to listen to what they are telling us. Whatever decision you make will be based on love.

54. Sharon14

Thinking of you, Phil and sweet Ty:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  55. HWright

❤️ for your update and in the midst of traumatic time but time that evolved into what I pray are good signs for Ty’s recovery and for him to be back home continuing to make his perfectly formed “treasures” for you. And all the other signs that he gave you of doing the things that are seen as indicators of “not ready yet.”

Was heartened that the vet who called you did evolve once you and Phil were there with Ty and he could see baby step indicators in Ty and with you both there with Ty that there is much much more than “numbers.”

For some reason, little Kai’aui aboard the Tiare Taporo (now on their second voyage to the outer Cook Islands), has been in my thoughts these recent days and nights, but differently than my usual “I hope she is happy and eating well and staying clear of the rigging...”
    It’s as if she feels all the healing energy coming Ty’s way, and is joining in to share her boundless energy to bouy Ty towards recovery.

It’s Saturday morning here in southeastern Connecticut. The sun is shining, the squirrels, amidst the morning finches, robins and rarely seen red wing blackbirds, made a hefty dent in the birdseed. As I watched them all lighting about, I remembered what my grandmother once said: that redwing blackbirds are harbingers of health and good luck. In that reflection, I felt that they were among the universe of beings full of healing protection for Ty and you and Phil.

With hope, vines, prayers that the new today finds Ty feeling on the mend, with more signs of improvement and that you and Phil have a good visit with your gallant boy and the now-more-understanding vet.
    Hugs and ❤️
    Sina

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  56. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Oh, M, I am heartbroken to hear that Ty is doing poorly. I have been away dealing with medical issues of my own so missed your posts until today. It sounds like he may have rallied a bit, maybe? Sending all positive thoughts, prayers and healing vines, as well as peace and strength for you and Phillip. We are all here for you, and will gladly hold your hand, my dear, in our own way; please feel all the love reaching out to you from members all over the world. :bighug: ❤️ :bighug: ❤️ :bighug: ❤️ :bighug:❤️ :bighug: ❤️ :bighug: ❤️ :bighug: ❤️ :bighug: ❤️

57. Noah & me (GA)

For Tyler and anyone who has ever felt lonely or far away. We really are all over the world and you are never really alone.
    stamp_cat001.JPG stamp_cat004.jpg stamp_cat007.jpg stamp_cat008.jpg

58. Beth 73

Good morning Ty, M and Phil :) Praying and believing that this Sunday brings miraculous recovery and healing for gallant Ty :bighug::bighug::bighug: And a peace for you and Phil that passes all understanding /comprehension as you walk these days :bighug::bighug::bighug: We are all there with you in spirit and pray you are surrounded with all of our love ❤️

59. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

You have each other and you have us. Hugs purrs prayers and love surround you. healing vines.jpg

60. LuvinThisPig

LuvinThisPig Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug:Praying he can come home! You must trust your gut, you know him better! Love and thoughts all the way to you and him both! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.