? Using 2 kinds of insulin - anyone had experience with this

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jerica&ramone, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Jerica&ramone

Jerica&ramone Member

Has anyone ever used 2 kinds of insulin on their kitty ?
    Currently using lantus - up to 6 units. No real progress in #'s.

And its been brought to my attn - not from a vet - but that some cases use 2 types of insulin. A slow and a fast acting... ? Any thoughts?

I'm working on getting him tested for acro/iaa/ igf-1 as I think that is the path I am headed.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I am going to tag @Wendy&Neko as she can advise you on this.
    There are some circumstances where a fast acting insulin can be given with a longer acting one such as Lantus, but it must be done under supervision by an experienced person if it is thought it is warranted.
    All the best.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Yes, there are a few of us here who have used R (either Humulin or Novolin R) as a bolus insulin, along with Lantus or Levemir. Some on higher dosed cats, some on lower dosed. It's more of an advanced technique, but can definitely help higher dose cats, as well as those with ketone issues. Tagging @Sandy and Black Kitty whose cat had both.

I am glad you are getting Ramone tested for IAA/acromegaly. Once you have answers there, we may be able to help you get set up with both insulins. In the mean time, make sure you have a good understanding of Ramone's onset and nadir on Lantus. I think the Libre data identifies onset, but there are mid cycle gaps that might otherwise help with the nadir. We suggest you start using R with an experienced person around to help you the first few times you give it. It's important to learn when to give R, and more important, when not to.

One other thing to consider, it can be beneficial for some high dose cats to switch their basal insulin to Levemir. It can have a bit better duration. It also has a later onset and nadir, and makes giving R at preshot a little easier.

ETA: Adding the link to your last post here for connectivity. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...ome-advice-01-26-amps-356-2-342-4-331.224865/

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  5. Jerica&ramone

Jerica&ramone Member

Thank you @Wendy&Neko and @Bron and Sheba (GA) - I will read that link and get my signature set up. I thought I had, but I guess not.

Also I will not be doing any of this I am definitely not experienced enough. It was just first time I have ever heard of it. And while it makes sense to me why some would do it I know I am no where near ready for it. I'm still learning lots but Ramone's seeming to be doing pretty okay! He's been fiesty with his brother lately which has been nice to see!

I'm going to my vet on Saturday to talk to her about the tests. Will keep you posted and hopefully have results sooner rather than later.

I've been at 6 units now for 4 days.. still all purples. Going to go up to 6.5 tonight. Think that is a good idea?

6. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Yes.
    glad to hear your kitty will be tested.

I learned to use both slow and gentle Lantus As a basal insulin and fast humulin R (R) as a bolus when my boy was in a ketone crisis. He was an IAA kitty before any of us knew that IAA existed and therefore we did stumble around a good bit.