What if starting Lantus dose too low...

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Susan & Andy, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Susan & Andy

Susan & Andy New Member

I am trying to learn all I can before switching my cat from Vetsulin to Lantus. I haven't started a spreadsheet to share yet, I only have the paper log that came with my AlphaTrac. I have all the items for a Hypo Tool Box, but what happens if my starting dose is too low, and his glucose starts climbing? Do I give him another injection?

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

In short no, no second shots until 12 hours later. Lantus dosing is quite different from Vetsulin. First it is a depot insulin so can take several cycles to show you what that dose can do. Second, we generally keep shooting the same dose at least six c6cles, unless they earn a reduction. Third, we determine how to change the dose based on the low points, or nadirs the dose is getting.

If a starting dose is too low, you eventually increase. Take a look at our dosing methods Sticky Note to see how it can be done.

If you get a spreadsheet started, we can help you with suggestions for starting dose.

And most important, hello and welcome. Keep asking questions.

Gill & George likes this.
  3. Susan & Andy

Susan & Andy New Member

Thank you so much :) I will follow your suggestions and post again soon.

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to FDMB. It would be very helpful if you would set up your signature so that your kitty's pertinent information is available with your posts.
    Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the time zone matters)
    Then get the spreadsheet set up to record the insulin injections and the BG data from your testing:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/
    Read the yellow tagged stickies at the top of the Lantus forum about how Lantus works and the protocols we use here.
    It's great that you want to learn as much as you can, knowledge is power! :cat:

5. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Lantus/Levemir forum. Like the other said, it will be real helpful if you could setup the spreadsheet.

The protocol for dosing is
    - every 12 hours.
    - never second dose during the 12 hour period
    - if you do a "fur shot" and the dose does not go in, then do not do a second dose then either. You never know if some got in.

6. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Firstly Hello and Welcome

We look forward to seeing your SS and numbers that you have for your kitty on Caninsulin so we can help you with a starting dose, and to helping you with any questions that might arise from reading the stickys on dosing methods etc

7. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey there and welcome to the L, B, & L forum.

As soon as your SS is set up, it will give more insight on a good starting dose for your kitty. ( name?) When you set up your signature some helpful things to record is kitty's name, sex, birthdate, diagnosis date , human or animal meter? food you are feeding and is there any other medical conditions? And any thing else you feel pertinent that can fit on two lines.