1/22 Leoberry - learn from my hypo mistake

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by JeffJ, Jan 22, 2019.

1. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Leo is now doing fine after this big hypo.

Yeah, even after 3 years of managing Leo's diabetes I can make BIG mistakes.
    The mistake was not monitoring his food intake, especially after a chemo dose.

Pre-hypo period:
    - Leo had reduced eating habits last week
    - Saturday 1/19, gave chemo (as usual for small cell lymphoma)
    - then Leo didn't eat much the next 12-24 hours
    - Sunday 1/20 AMPS, dosed him the regular AMPS dose = 2.75

The Hypo Incident
    Sunday 1/20, Leo was on my lap, 20 minutes before AMPS+6 BG test.
    - then minor face seizures and weird eye movements, not responsive in leg muscles
    - BG test = 22 = OMG, My big mistake. That's 22 on Alphatrak where 70 is the cutover to low BG.
    - (cuss words would be here)
    - immediately gave 3 squirts of Karo
    - got into car within 1 minute, and to ER within 7 minutes
    - BG = 36 upon first ER test
    - Leo on glucose drip for 4-5 hours until stable 100 after drip

Tuesday, Leo is still lethargic. We tested his eye tracking. It seems slow, Theresa thinks it is normal.

Leo is getting FF gravy food and freeze dried chicken as meal supplements to stimulate his appetite. I want to ensure he is getting some carbs and enjoying the food. Also getting FF classic (normal). And Leo is getting hugs hourly. He will go to the vet on Friday for a blood test and checkup. My sweet kitteh Leo.
    Leo 01-22-2019 after dinner b.jpg

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    LizzieInTexas likes this.
  2. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Jeff, this was so scary. I'm glad you took quick action and that your boy is OK. Sending lots of healing vines for him to feel all better tomorrow. Hugs to you and Theresa and gentle scritches for Leo.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

JeffJ likes this.
  3. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

Glad Leo is okay and hope he continues to do better. Thank you for sharing with us what happened! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Krystina & Nelli and JeffJ like this.
  4. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

I agree, thanks for sharing, Jeff. It underscores the importance of monitoring for new diabetics, and reminds those of us with long-term diabetics to not get complacent.

I am glad Leo's alright so far, and I trust he'll be right as rain soon enough. But I take issue with one thing...I recommend hugs at *least* 2-3 times hourly! ;)

5. nslade001

nslade001 Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing, sending you all love, Nikki

JeffJ likes this.
  6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh Jeff, that must have been very scary! Thank goodness you were there and noticed the hypo symptoms and took such quick action!
    I remember once when I tested Sheba as I was going out the door....and got 23. I've never moved so quickly in my life to get the honey out of the frig and into her mouth..and the only symptom she had was sudden intense hunger.
    Sending many vines that Leo continues to recover well. He's a gorgeous boy!

JeffJ likes this.
  7. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Thanks for the vines everyone. Leo is sleeping good tonight. We hope he continues to look and feel good after that hypo.

I was just like Bron in this hypo incident. I almost had a heart attack too! It makes me realize how hard it can be for people who have to go to work during the week. (I work from home).

8. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

That was a scary time Jeff and I am glad you could act so swiftly. I bet it took a good while for your heartbeat to return to normal. Many hugs to Leoberry, you and Theresa. I hope you all have a peaceful, restful night, and he continues with increased appy and regaining some vigor.

JeffJ likes this.
  9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Whew, so glad Leo is safe! I caught Neko a couple times in the 20’s with not much in the way of symptoms. They sure know how to scare us.

Not to be a dose nag, but any dose that gives you numbers in the 30’s means the dose needs to be reduced. I see a couple in there recently. The problem with not reducing is you could see even lower numbers. Good luck with the new lower doses. And I hope Leo gets his appetite back,

Jill & Alex (GA) and JeffJ like this.
  10. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Can only imagine how terrifying this was for you. A reading of 23 on a human meter but no symptoms put the fear of God in me! So scary! It's a perfect example of how complicated this puzzle of diabetes care can be with our furry kids at any time for any of us but especially when there are other health issues in the picture. Glad to know Leo is doing Ok and sending vines for his speedy recovery.

11. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Very, very scary! It's a good reminder that we can never get complacent. :eek: I hope Leo recovers quickly.

12. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

So glad hes ok:bighug::bighug::bighug:

JeffJ likes this.
  13. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Leo is a trooper :) I have known to be too complacent and this is a good reminder even our acros can go hypo. Thanks for sharing Jeff.

JeffJ and LizzieInTexas like this.
  14. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. Leo seems back to his pre-deep-hypo self. It did take him a couple of days to recover. There are no issues with eyesight, perception, or mobility.

For the other hypos, Leo is on a 8+ meals per day situation. His throat stridor is pretty bad. He only eats a little each time. And many times, he only eats if we get out new food or warm it up. He often eats a little, then trots away as he is trying to swallow. We have tried different foods to compensate and help him swallow. He gets FF with water, and without water. His food bowl is also elevated to help with ingestion.

When he gets all those little meals, the insulin doses (2.75 units am, 1.75 units pm) bring him down just enough to give his kidneys a break. But even at those doses, and that multi-meal regimen, he often will not break 200 during nadirs. It is just challenging to keep him healthy. I suspect he still has some Acro, and it cycles on and off.

Leo is getting another couple of days of break from the chemo. One thing is for sure:

Leo loves his brother Little Dude

Leo and LD on couch 01-23-2019b.jpg

15. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Heartwarming pic! You are doing a great job with him Jeff! He's lucky to have you for his Bean! :joyful:

JeffJ likes this.
  16. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh Jeff! I think my heart spasmed when I read your post! Thankfully it started back up again, but goodness! I am SO glad to hear Leo is doing well post hypo. I almost didn't recognize him in the first pic without Little Dude, haha. Lou has had one reading in the 20s, and I think it was 29 on a human meter. I did the same as Bron, rushing to the kitchen to get the Karo into Lou with my heart pounding out of my chest. I'm sending some extra vines in hope Leo continues to do well post hypo. Many hugs for you and Theresa as well! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

JeffJ likes this.
  17. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I just fixed that first post - the first line is now:
    Leo is now doing fine after this big hypo.

...and yeah, I might need heart medicine for the event too. We got real lucky with this, and Leo does not seem to have any lasting issues. He was just on Theresa's lap for an hour!

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.