Cabergoline as a possible treatment for acrocats: discussion

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Wendy&Neko, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Deena Traina

Deena Traina Member

Hi everyone,
    I got Malachai's Cabergoline for $100 w/sugar free chicken flavor. I just went on Yelp and searched for compounding pharmacies in my area and about 10 came up so I just called each for pricing.
    The pharmacist mixed the Cabergoline with oil (instead of water), I was told it was better and would also extend the life of the Cabergoline.
    DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE!?
    I was told it could have a shelf life of 6mo. although I was only given enough for 56days.
    I just want to make sure that after 30 days I'm not giving him medication thats bad.

Also, I'm mixing his Cabergoline with his breakfast (2 cans of FF). Does anyone know if it's okay to mix it with THAT much food? I'm hoping it won't decrease its effectiveness.

2. Mom2Maverick

Mom2Maverick Member

I think it is strange that they have been quiet about the study. It seems like when it started they were open to sharing all the info they had. I'm not sure that any who has emailed recently has gotten any info on how it is going.

3. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

HI How are you? I am trying to get my vet to understand the need for Amethyst to be on this drug How do I access this webpage and post THanks:bighug:

4. Mom2Maverick

Mom2Maverick Member

I had to dig really deep and I found info that they presented last month. They did not observe any difference in 30 days time. I'm not sure if they are continuing on with the study. However cats on this forum have taken 30 days to earn insulin reductions.
    My vet was hesitant to prescribe it and Mav has been on it for about 10 days now. I figured what do I have to lose by trying? If I can get his Insulin like growth factor down and perhaps slow down the progression of acromegaly, it is worth it to me.

5. Pamela & Amethyst

Hi Where did you find their info?:cat:

6. Mom2Maverick

Mom2Maverick Member

I will share it tonight when I am home.

7. Pamela & Amethyst

Thank you!:cat:

8. Deena Traina

Deena Traina Member

I would love to see it too! Thanks!

9. Mom2Maverick

Mom2Maverick Member

I have attached the study that convinced me and I sent it to my vet.
    I am copy and pasting from EVCIM abstracts.

I hope this helps!

J Vet Intern Med 2017

Research Communications of the
    27th ECVIM-CA Congress

Intercontinental, Saint Julian’s, Malta, 14th to 16th September 2017

ESVE – O – 6
    PILOT STUDY ASSESSING THE USE OF CABERGOLINE IN THE MANAGEMENT OF DIABETIC ACROMEGALIC CATS. C.J. Scudder, K. Hazuchova, R. Gostelow, V. Woolhead, Y. Forcada, D.B. Church, R.C. Fowkes, S.J.M. Niessen. Royal Veterinary College, Hatfield, UK

Cabergoline is a dopamine 2 receptor (D2R) agonist which is a second line medical therapy for human acromegalic patients. Pasir- eotide, a somatostatin analogue, is the only effective medical man- agement option for feline acromegaly but its cost is a limiting factor for many owners. Our work has demonstrated dopamine receptors within the feline acromegalic pituitary and we hypothe- sized that cabergoline would improve diabetic control and IGF-1 concentrations of diabetic acromegalic cats.

This was a prospective cohort study of client-owned diabetic acromegalic cats, Ethics approval URN 2016 1604. Enrolment cri- teria were: a diagnosis of diabetes mellitus, an IGF-1 concentra- tion >1000 ng/mL and owners declining alternative treatment options for acromegaly. Patients were admitted to the hospital on day 0, underwent pituitary imaging and started cabergoline ther- apy (Kelactin, Kela N.V.) on day 1. Cats were monitored in hospital until day 4 and were discharged to continue treatment at home. Serum IGF-1 and fructosamine were measured on day 0, day 4 and month 1. Any possible medication side effects were recorded. Descriptive statistics and non-parametric tests were used to analyze the data.

Six cats were enrolled. The first three cats received 5 μg/kg q24 h PO and the second three cats received 10 ug/kg q24 h PO of cabergoline. The median IGF-1 concentration at day 0 was 1797 ng/mL (range 890–>2000) which was not statistically different to day 4 and month 1 (1884 ng/mL and 1754 ng/mL, respectively). The median fructosamine concentration on day 0 was 551 lmol/L (range 454–887) which was not statistically different from day 4 and month 1 (551 to 569, respectively). All cats were receiving PZI insulin (ProZinc, Boehringer) and the median dose on day 0 (1.1 units/kg q12 h) was not different to day 4 and month 1 (1.1 and
    1.2, respectively). Three patients experienced a single gastrointesti- nal upset event (inappetence, diarrhea) which resolved within three days. One of the six cats experienced an improvement of diabetic control (fructosamine day 0 was 454 lmol/L and month 1 was 288 lmol/L while insulin dose on day 0 was 1 unit/kg q12 h and month 1 was 0.2 units/kg q12 h) although there was no decrease of IGF-1 concentration (day 0: 890 ng/mL; month 1: 929 ng/mL).

Cabergoline therapy, using the investigated dose and duration, was not associated with a reduction in IGF-1 concentration in the tested diabetic acromegalic cats; glycemic control improved in one. Additional cases, alternative dosing regimens and longer-term follow-up are being assessed.

Disclosures: Disclosures to report.

The diabetic remission clinic is supported by Nestle Purina and Boehringer Ingelheim.

Attached Files:

Chubba likes this.
  10. Pamela & Amethyst

11. Pamela & Amethyst

Thank you How do I get a copy of this????

12. Mom2Maverick

Mom2Maverick Member

Maybe google for it. It's 85 pages of abstracts so I don't want to attach them all.

13. Pamela & Amethyst

OKay under what to google? Thanks!

14. Mom2Maverick

Mom2Maverick Member

15. Pamela & Amethyst

16. Chubba

Chubba Well-Known Member

I just emailed Chris at RVC and then sent that email to my vet. I can't remember the webpage, but I will try to look it up later. Although, it looks like @Mom2Maverick already posted a link to the study. Thank you! :):bighug: